Recommendations for a Red Locomotive

neilmack

You can tell from the title I'm not the most discriminating enthusiast. I'm not modelling anything in particular, just building a train set that has some visual appeal. I would like to add a red (maroon or crimson, are they different?) steam locomotive to my OO gauge set. I'd like something recently designed, with loco drive, Hornby or B****ann.

Would anyone like to recommend something? Thanks very much.

• RMweb Premium

A Hornby R3555 Princess Coronation 46256 in BR Maroon with Late Crest. Still widely available but photos here:  https://www.hattons.co.uk/244019/Hornby_R3555_Class_8P_Princess_Coronation_4_6_2_46256_Sir_William_Stanier_F_R_S_in_BR_Maroon/StockDetail.aspx

Or you could wait for a few weeks for one of these, as preserved at the NRM https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lms-princess-coronation-class-4-6-2-6229-duchess-of-hamilton-era-3.html

• Agree 1

This reminds me of when my wife ventured into the model railway room and admired all my GWR steam locomotives standing proudly in front of the engine shed. 

What does GWR mean she asked?  Why are they all green she inquired innocently?  Why don't you get a nice red one?

She hasn't been allowed back since.

But if I ever had to choose a red one, I think I'd secretly go for a streamlined Princess Coronation.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hogwarts Castle is the perfect compromise. A GWR loco and it’s red! Perfect. 

Since the Hogwarts Express runs only six times a year, at the start and end of term, what does it work for the rest of the year... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Since the Hogwarts Express runs only six times a year, at the start and end of term, what does it work for the rest of the year... 

Same as the rest of the GWR fleet.. enjoys the Riveria, waiting for designer coal to persuade them to work.

• Like 1

Or you could look for R3169 Olton Hall, which comes in the fetching "Hogwarts" shade of red but with Great Western on the tender, its a recent model and has loco drive and DCC provision in the tender.  It'll work out a little less expensive than red Pacifics!

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2019 at 12:51, KGV said:

This reminds me of when my wife ventured into the model railway room and admired all my GWR steam locomotives standing proudly in front of the engine shed. 

What does GWR mean she asked?  Why are they all green she inquired innocently?  Why don't you get a nice red one?

She hasn't been allowed back since.

But if I ever had to choose a red one, I think I'd secretly go for a streamlined Princess Coronation.

Evidently a lady of great discrimination. Her involvement in the hobby should be encouraged.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 05/02/2019 at 21:16, Hroth said:

Or you could look for R3169 Olton Hall, which comes in the fetching "Hogwarts" shade of red but with Great Western on the tender, its a recent model and has loco drive and DCC provision in the tender.  It'll work out a little less expensive than red Pacifics!

I like that! Naturally the thing seems unavailable now.

• RMweb Gold

A red Fowler 2-6-4t perhaps ?

its a big tank, but not too big ?

older ones can be had for as little as £30 on eBay, newer ones a bit more.

R055, R2224,

another thought is the Bachmann red crab ? c£70 

Running numbers 13000 and 13098

• Like 1

I have a red Hogwarts Castle [recovered from no.1 son - who has grown up] and am rather fond of it - too fond to repaint it in green, but I have a cunning plan to approach Narrow Planet about new name-plates Redcastle  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neilmack said:

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. The only thing against that Coronation is the price!

A Midland Compound (Number 1000) is a little more affordable and quite iconic if you would like a tender engine; or as adb98008 suggests, a 2-6-4T if you would prefer a tank. 

• Like 1

Hornby upgraded their streamlined 'Coronation' class in 2001. After 2005 they were DCC ready. Please see Ramsay's British Model Trains catalogues. I may be possible to buy a second hand R2179 Duchess of Gloucester made in 2001 for around £80 or a R2689 2229 Duchess of Hamilton made in 2008 for around £100. These were almost as good as the new model but there do not seem to be many for sale at the moment. 

I am still running my tender driven R072 City of Bristol that I bought in a sale at Gamleys in 1986 for £19.50. It is a scale 2' 6" short but it runs very well and when I take it to my model railway club meetings people think it is a new model so you do not need to spend a lot on a large red locomotive if you are not too fussy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

The red analogue Bachmann Jubilee looks very attractive but unfortunately Bachmann stopped making the red version in 2015.

Many of the red engines seem out of production. Difficult to understand. All engines should be red.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I think the short list consists of that NRM Midland Compound, Olton hall, and the Bachmann Patriot Sir Frank Ree. And a Coronation, dependent on funds.

Now all I have to do is find one.

In the meantime I have written to the Directors of GWR, complaining of their policy of painting interesting engines green.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, neilmack said:

In the meantime I have written to the Directors of GWR, complaining of their policy of painting interesting engines green.

They had no such policy. They only painted their own engines green. 'Nuf said?

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

They had no such policy. They only painted their own engines green. 'Nuf said?

Of course the GWR locos, though not "interesting" in the manner of any sort of compound engine (vide the extensive comparison tests carried out by Mr Churchward in the early 1900s) WERE Very Useful Engines and thus deserved to be painted in a shade of Green to indicate their ability to GO!  :jester:

Hi Neil,

There seem to be a lot of folk spending your money for you upon this thread.

My appallingly tongue-in-cheek-cheapskate advice is to buy any engine you like the look of and a tin of paint.

Just ignore me,

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2