Advice sought

bodmin65

1 hour ago, 298 said:

There are numerous precedents for using an elderly switcher in private ownership to switch the elevator, but I doubt it'd be allowed out onto the main. The plan itself reminds me of how a private siding next to a British main line would be worked (such as Littleton colliery or Tring Cement on the WCML), but more akin to trainload flows that require a lot more space than individual car spots.  

Yes it may well be worth considering moving the run-round right hand end up one set of tracks, leaving you a separate runround loop and the main with a simple connection to the elevator yard lead and sidings area - The elderly elevator switcher then stays in its own area and the main-line loco drops off and picks up from the siding adjacent to the main - Good thought, Andy!

Edited by shortliner

On 11/02/2019 at 12:59, bodmin65 said:

Really simplified the plan for a micro will only be using half of the grain elevator. what do you think of this?

Ho_Grain_Micro.jpg

You're showing 4ft in your plans, but they all "exit stage left" to (presumably) staging on another board, which is going to have to be about the same length to work the layout.

What total length do you have available? If it's 8ft, why not do a "reverse inglenook", where the rear siding is the hidden one, behind the industries served by the two front spurs. The train arrives on scene from behind those industries, & all subsequent switching is on view, as the switching lead is part of the scenic section.

I did an inglenook layout similar to how you have drawn yours above, & whilst it was more fun to switch than might be apparent on paper, the disappearance of the train for every switching move began to irritate me in the end.

• Like 2