Cwm Risca Halt ( mk2 smaller version page 3 onwards)

Piemanlarger

How things change !!

I just had to pay £9 for a bag of woodland scenics fine ballast. 

Its supposed to be N gauge ballast I believe but I've always found it makes a great gravel path for larger scales.

Last bag I bought was £3.50 !

At least crossing planks ( coffee stirers ) are free from Gregg's lol

20210110_125821.jpg

20210110_130137.jpg

20210110_125821.jpg

20210110_130137.jpg

• Like 6

Did a bit more than planned yesterday. 

Only stopped as ran out of scenic materials. 

Ebay to the lockdown rescue. 

Rail workers cottage Now on the station board, it was planned to be on the tunnel board.

Hedge row fencing preferred over lineside.

More grassroots be added when delivered!

Goods loading dock now has coal staith and lineside hut doubles as coal office?

A recent ebay win of a gw cattle wagon may see the dock partially converted to cattle dock?

Milk and workers train on the brick legged dock.

Platform and signal to be added later?

Lineside fencing still "setting" despite pva being added 12 plus hours ago!

20210111_151944.jpg

20210111_151952.jpg

20210111_152127.jpg

20210111_152320.jpg

• Like 9

Having done more than I planned sunday, I did nothing yesterday! But today some foliage arrived so I filled in a few gaps in the grass. Got more coming to blend in so its little and often? Station temporarily put in place to judge a few things. Mainly where the signal will go later ? Another was is the goods loop water tower going onthe station board or the tunnel board. Station board got the vote! Track weathering started with the base coat of " brake dust." I find this give a better look of rusty rails than actual rust paint! Got rusty colours to add to break the uniformity of it and some oily steel paint / black engine stop deposits will be added. I'll use a mix of paint and weathering powders suspect?

20210112_131403.jpg

20210112_130621.jpg

• Like 7

Water tower added to the goods loop. This is a rtr Bachmann tower re painted and modified (fixed after it fell on the floor!) More weathering to be done to the tracks where the lococs stop to top up.

Earth worm path from railway workers cottage to the signal box and station also put in.

. Got a skytrex platform mounted water Crane to be built and added to the platform for the auto train on tofmdays "to do" list. First however is room tidy up and back scenes to be mounted. Started work on the tunnel board by using up the last of the wws ballast I had. Ran out just short of the tunnel so used some older course grade stuff I had here. It's also a lighter colour but I like that as other wise it will look to uniform from one end to the other? Yes weathering of the track will help when I get round to it but a change here and there is good to represent new / old ballast patches.

20210113_101057.jpg

20210113_101022.jpg

• Like 5

Couple of plan B projects to do today? I've been trying to get hold of David Woolnough who is an excellent artist and has done previous back drop work for me. Thats work in progress so a photo backdrop was added to give me an idea of what it could look like? Measure twice put up once is a new version but for now I'll ignore the gap inthe photo backdrop lol. No ballast in today's post and the other peco tunnel only ordered today so it uit will be a couple or three extra days till I can finish the tunnel section off but hope to make a start today. Plan B on the station as the failed first attempt to put the station lamp in place resulted in the buff gravel surface lifting. So now it will be grey and another to do job today ! Hope to get the station in place today, new gravel surface laid plus water Crane base ? Might even sneak the Dapol signal into place but wires need lengthening. Also have a rail that's lifted on one side so needs to be lifted and re laid.

20210114_112654.jpg

20210114_105755.jpg

20210114_112648.jpg

20210113_102834.jpg

• Like 4

Busy day at Cwm Risca.

Mainly as tomorrow will be quiet!

Added some recycled bushes that started life on my 00 diesel layouts.

The break the join between back scenes and layout bosrd nicely and there is just enough  room to back the delivery truck down.

Cottage has gained an apple tree and a coal delivery has come in !

With luck the station and signal can be added tonight and then the watered down pva left ho go off till Saturday 

20210114_142720.jpg

20210114_141123.jpg

20210114_141129.jpg

• Like 7

A couple of days if illness have delayed work but thankfully today a few hours have been put in.

I'd run out of the 00 gauge ballast so ordered a small bag from wws (ebay). It took 3 days to come despite the " factory " only being a mile up the road from me  ! When it did it turns out 250g is not as much as I hoped for lol. So some of the tunnel board was done using the wws and some with some courser grade ballast I had left over a from holts model railways on a previous layout. I then went as far to siv the course stuff to produce some very fine / almost dust ballast that will act as compacted ballast in the goods loop. So abusy day on the ballast train and even a bit of grass sowing on the tunnel board in preparation for tunnel building?

Back to the station board and having glued the platform mounted water Crane in place a couple of nights ago it has now of course accrued to me I've not seen a " halt" with a water crane! I did think of taking it off or trying to and building a concrete base for it other side of the rails? But then decided that railway modeling rule 1 applies.

Least for now ! Cant say it wont move when I've run out of other things to do ! I seem to have lost parts of buffer stop no3 so will look at scratch building a sleeper built buffer stop for the goods loading dock? Its 24 hours now for ballast and grass to set so tomorrow will be wire up the signal and said buffer stop?

20210117_172815.jpg

20210117_143624.jpg

20210117_172920.jpg

• Like 5

Not much going on this morning as a trip to the dr will disrupt the rail gang shortly! But we have got the Dapol signal working. Even if it's the wrong signal or at least in the wrong place.

Hopefully Dapol will produce an 0 gauge junction signal soon?

Glazing in the signal box later and a bit of door painting and light weathering ? 

20210118_122709.jpg

• Like 7

I'm trying to find out what colour a 1930 potato sack would be In  general?

Or any sack for that I'm just pretending they have potatoes in them.

Could be turnips !

I've gone from ( r to l ) cream - stone - dunkelgerb as I have them spare !

I've Avoided a brown colour as I was thinking of a bit of light weathering with powders ??

Any idea - tips?

Mean while the signal box door gets another coat of gwr loco green as its spare ! Should be able to put it in place and finish off the path today?

Station track work has been further weathered with a mix of dark earth / black / rust where the 48xx will rest up and take water and indeed the short length of track that will sut under the autocoach is now toned down as is the point.20210119_123054.jpg.45b0634ebe3e99f0a76f981aefa81e59.jpg

20210119_125131.jpg

20210119_123043.jpg

• Like 5

I would say the right hand one,the other two colours are more reminiscent of paper potato sacks.From memory there was a touch of grey in the colour,especially if they had weathered and faded.

atb

Phil 

• Thanks 1

I wanted to enter the "study" this morning to a busy scene on Cwm Risca. 

When I say study I mean small messy room!

Anyway I set up the shots last night and I think the station board is getting there now.

I went a bit mad with the track weathering yesterday and had to back track as they say as it went a bit orange !

A bit of sleeper grime brought things back to the brown look I'm looking for.

The signal box went yesterday in with lines path and foot crossing. Bit of weathering to be done on the crossing if the glue has set this morning? 

Jobs to be done on station board

( that I can think of)

Point levers and bases

Backdrop board

Sleeper built buffer stop

Whether crossing planks

Fit signal switch to control board.

Test points and running !!

20210120_101854.jpg

20210120_102654.jpg

20210120_101905.jpg

20210120_102633.jpg

• Like 6

• Piemanlarger changed the title to Cwm Risca Halt ( mk2 smaller version page 3 onwards)

Not much happening today due to old Skewen Main colliery water flooding as shown on national news ! Luckily our house is so far just high enough so weather is only half way up our drive. So just a bit of track weathering in the base coat of diluted brake dust wash. I did get a small tub of mig " dark earth" pigment as my other and much older tub of mig dark earth was about 2/3rds gone Turns out the new stuff is a lighter shade which is good as a blend of weathered colours looks much better? Just a little test session tonight that will be looked at in daylight tomorrow if dry ! The Barrow/ foot crossing was darkened down as I got a spare jar of railmatch gwr stock brown. Probably go over with weathered wood tomorrow and then a black / dark grey powder mix.

20210121_201223.jpg

20210121_201216.jpg

• Like 5

A little bit of track weathering done to the tunnel boardwhile watching the floods subsid last night ! Barrow crossing got the look I want. I think ! Leaving " middle" track fairly clean while continuing the theme of a well worn branch line otherwise and a mix of powders to age it Onto the tunnels next !

20210122_125701.jpg

20210122_125739.jpg

20210122_125708.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like post will be delayed a day or two around here so I'm not sure where my other tunnel is ? Hopefully it will find its way here soon? Until then it's only the front tunnel I can sort out. Started yesterday and hope to finish it today. Compromise needed on retaining wall but it suits its purpose! Got to have the air raid shelter my son built when he was about 5 for a school project. I think there is room near the cottage for that there? Depends on how much of a rock face I build?

20210123_101248.jpg

• Like 1

Scenic work is on hold today due to floods in Skewen !

I.e my mail is on stop!

So I decided it was time to strip the Dapol 48xx down to see what size speakers I can get in?

As expected a sugar cube should end up in the bunker and I'm hoping to get this 25 x 25mm mega base in?

Not used a smaller mega base before?

What speaker set up have others used?

Sound chip is by wheeltappers .not actually heard that either fully just a quick check last year.

The supplied 2 x sugar cube set up supplied by Dapol interest me but I dont have a 21 pin decoder for this one.

Maybe the next one?

20210123_170231.jpg

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2021 at 13:06, Piemanlarger said:

Mean while the signal box door gets another coat of gwr loco green as its spare ! 

20210119_123054.jpg.45b0634ebe3e99f0a76f981aefa81e59.jpg

20210119_125131.jpg

Interesting shade of loco green!

Or is that just to see who’s paying attention? :)

Looking good.

Slight disaster this morning !!

Instead of fitting sugar cube speakers and getting on with it I started faffing with different speakers and once again blew the sound chip!

So its defo time to flog some stuff off to replace the 48xx sound chip due to my idiot actions !

At least I got to test the chassis and it ran over the tracks and points much better than the 72xx.

Compensation is key !

• Friendly/supportive 2

Back to making a noise today.

I hope!

Replacement sound chip for the 48xx turned up with some more speaker options. Gone for two x megabase in this hard wired 48xx. One speaker in the coal bunker and a larger one in the boiler with the chip. No power pack in this one as I'm hoping it dont need one. Options are open however at a later date? I've ordered another 48xx that I'm going to try and use the supplied pcp board and a 21 pin decoder with twin sugar cube speakers fitted.

If I ever work out how the sugar cube fits in Dapol speaker housing?

3 plank wagon has had a repair by pinching a buffer off the 4 plank that came this week. 4 plank will be off to crumlin A shop for a pair of replacement buffers asap !

20210129_115910.jpg

20210129_125944.jpg

20210129_115123.jpg