Cwm Risca Halt ( mk2 smaller version page 3 onwards)

Piemanlarger

Auto coach today

Not happy with my "light" roof weathering so its leave that till tomorrow?  At least being powder its eady to wash off and start again.

Non viewing side of coach weathered.

In theory once the 14xx is finished ( buffer beam numbers and power pack) then the pairing wont need to be touched as it will permanently be on the layout or cassette bar for travelling to exhibition. 

Got a selection of passengers and once I removed the speaker enclosure a couple of milk churns have been picked up to drop off at Cwm risca to be sent off in the express milk train collection!

A driver pencilled in for the upcoming ( easter 2021 ?) Dapol 45xx is now employed as autocoach driver

It did occur to me I'm missing a guard so another modelu order is due !

20210217_175910.jpg

20210217_175809.jpg

20210217_175839.jpg

• Like 4

People day today.

Decided the train inspector instead of being hid in a tank engine cab would be better seen having a chat with the signal man.

Couple of passengers on the platform await the auto train. Mr.Evans is in his fav location taking railway photos!

Got the coal yard man to sort out and his sacks of coal plus some cases for the loading dock? Unless they end up in the 3 plank wagon?

20210219_172603.jpg

• Like 1

With one eye on a future extension

"Enging shed" board, the platform mounted water Crane had always bothered me.

A halt is too small for it and with a ( Bachmann)water tower in the goods yard if needs be top ups can be done there.

So can you spot the difference???

I'll give you a clue.

Water crane will have to find a home on the " shed" board. When I've built it !!

20210221_113004.jpg

• Like 2

Its turning into a busy day on Cwm Risca.

The unfitted open wagons are picking up the sacks of things that grow on Cwm risca farm to be taken off to somewhere for selling.

Possibly the docks?

Anyway.  The 3 and 4 plank wagons have had some light weathering with powders. 

20210221_114216.jpg

20210221_155517.jpg

20210221_114159.jpg

20210221_155040.jpg

20210221_155555.jpg

• Like 6

Little bit of work on 1432 today. Fitted a power pack ( so much better with dcc ) and buffer beam numbers.

I'm going to have to finally break out the airbrush kit I have at some point to do weathering on the wheels and under frame. I think I'm building myself up to that lol. Might as well do all 4 possibly 5 locos after the weekend (ebay purchase possible on Saturday!) locos at one time then ?

I was hoping my dynamis pro box would be here today but alas!

So rest of today is make useful f key lists of the different locos and produce some sort of laminated flip card for both controllers. Something for easy reference for each loco.

I've at last got to grips with the way the wheeltappers sound chips are set up for auto coach working and non auto! Quite alot of playable sounds but the " hiss" and general sound is a bit flat? Still I may get used to them and keep both 0-4-2 as wheel tappers?

I think the pannier with its unknown sound project will be re blown with swd group 1. I really like the swd group 2 in the 72xx.

Apart from digitrains stuff I cant say I've found another sound chip supplier who's videos or f key lists tick my boxes.

20210224_135317.jpg

• Like 2

My dynamis pro box turned up but it's not what I expected!! It does allow me to read cv so I can adjust individual sound levels etc and potentially add extra receivers though I'm not sure I actually need one on 8ft lol

Have asked questions on couple of groups on that one.

Today's job having spent nearly £30 on plywood yesterday is to start work on the fiddle yard board proper!

Plan is to enclose it as I really dont like people looking at fiddle yards  in shows and not the layout ! Have also ordered angle aluminium to start making cassettes.

I wrote out a time table (twice) yesterday which resulted in 20 moves to use all my rolling stock and I'm short of three engines !

That could be two after Saturday if an ebay bid wins and one loco short by Easter if the Dapol 45xx turns up. In truth I need to write the time table for the locos I have and perhaps use less stock! Initial plan was to have 1 loco per "train" but I think it would be more prototypical that the 58xx on morning milk also has to return later on pick up goods! So mk3 version of time table probably needed lol Did add some planks to the point lever so some modelling done ! 

Power pack for pannier arrived so that needs fitting today as well.

20210226_102653.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a quiet week but some progress on working out fiddle yard operation.

Mk1 cassette in development stage and mk2  is on the cutting block ! Plan A is to get fiddle yard powered up today and new dynamis shelf built at rear of layout. Back to modeling this week then.

20210307_123459.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has happened on the layout as such of late. I did do some work on the dynamis control box position last week but then the sun came out! In the summer time my activity is mostly outdoors and target airgun related However I was also distracted with a san chen 45xx on Ebay. That went for more than I could treat myself to even though I'm going to try and write it off as next months birthday present !! However as the auction ended this 56xx came up for sale at a more reasonable price. My thanks to Dave Robert's for servicing it today and going through the options on it. Sadly there is too much work for me to convert it to dcc sound so it will probably head to ebay in the coming weeks. Pity as it's running nice after a clean up. However ever cloud has a silver lining. Another san chen 45xx came up for sale and at £125 cheaper than the ebay one I could not say no ! So although monday coming is not my birthday it will seem like it. I hope! Need to source a sound chip for the 45xx now !

20210318_233357.jpg

20210318_233334.jpg

20210318_233316.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Cwm Risaca has been on its ends over the summer, this summer, 22, turns out looking at last post it's been on its ends longer than I realised!

Its not unusual I don't get much modelling done in summer as I don't usually have much time to spend indoors.

But with the darker nights on their way it's time to plan ahead. 

Originally two  4ft boards I thought would just be long enough,  given they fit in the capture should the need to exhibit it ever arrive.
However this restricted goods trains to just two wagons and a brake.
Not out of speck for the little country setting but I found a couple of pieces of 6mm plywood so an extension sprang to mind!

With just a 12 inch " slot in " extension I can get a 4 wagon train plus brake into the run round loop with space, or a tight fitting 5 wagon train !

I can now get the milk train I with ease!
The loading road its 3 wagons plus brake.

Of course it's tempting to use the ply as a new longer backdrop  and extend further, but sometimes less is more ?

I actually think the 1 foot extension will be enough. Plus I got

enough spare track and I think scenics to extend this much!

Quite a few repaires to do, nothing major but little and often.

And a few items of rolling stock surplus to requirements to sell on for my 1369 funds !

20220824_120027.jpg

• Like 2