Mk4 catenary??

I have had a look and this is what I found... Look very Mk3-ish

49F232C7-9E48-44D1-B762-B9CFBDF841A2.jpeg

211F39B0-71F0-4D98-B21A-5D2DAB4573DA.jpeg

If I remember correctly it has a heavier weight than Mk3 stuff and I couldn’t help but notice that on the line that runs parallel to DM the standard masts use a different type of pole

best regards, Matthew 

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:21, jim.snowdon said:

That's a bit like saying that 106 lb conductor rail isn't compatible with 150 lb conductor rail. 

Jim 

I do remember seeing some rather worn 105lb LNWR section conductor rail welded to 150lb, whoever had done it had made up the difference in height by welding a pile of top packs to the under side of the 105lb rail, before welding the whole thing to the end of the 150lb rail.

2 hours ago, Trog said:

I do remember seeing some rather worn 105lb LNWR section conductor rail welded to 150lb, whoever had done it had made up the difference in height by welding a pile of top packs to the under side of the 105lb rail, before welding the whole thing to the end of the 150lb rail.

I have seen it done rather more elegantly by using a piece of steel angle under the smaller rail to make an end for the deeper 150 lb rail to butt up to. Officially, it shouldn't be done, but it is a technically sound solution to a problem that does turn up from time to time. 

Much more more fun is welding S49 flatbottom rail to Ri60 section tramway rail. It requires a rather interesting thermit mould.

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:13, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Hi all,

After stumbling across another forum I couldn’t help but notice ‘Mk4’ catenary, it said that it is at Dollands Moor but I can’t find any photos. Does anyone have any photos/ drawings of it as I’m very interested in this?

Best regards, Matthew 

Read recently that Mk 4 was developed in the 1970s for use on WCML with the intended introduction of the APT. Consequently, it was never implemented. Mk 5 is used at Dollands Moor freight yard.

Hope this helps. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, iands said:

Read recently that Mk 4 was developed in the 1970s for use on WCML with the intended introduction of the APT. Consequently, it was never implemented. Mk 5 is used at Dollands Moor freight yard.

Hope this helps. 

So what is the difference then between Mk3 Mk4 and Mk5? I know the differences between Mk1/2 and Mk3 but I have never heard of Mk5, are there any other places where it is used?

best regards, Matthew

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

So what is the difference then between Mk3 Mk4 and Mk5? I know the differences between Mk1/2 and Mk3 but I have never heard of Mk5, are there any other places where it is used?

best regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I'm no OLE expert, but I deduce that there are 5 x Mk 3 variants (3, 3a, 3b, 3c and 3d). Mk 5, as far as I can tell, is only used at Dollands Moor freight yard.

The differences between Mk 3, Mk 4 and Mk 5 seem to be different contact wires (cross section, material), different catenary wires (cross section, material) and different tensions. All the differences seem to be related to line speed and current carrying capacity. But as I say, I'm no OLE expert, the above is just my interpretation of something I read.

Hope this helps.

Mk 5 was an SNCF design, used previously on 'classic' SNCF routes. When the new junctions were put in for CTRL, the Balfour-Beatty drawings for it turned out to be French ones, with Balfour's name added as an afterthought. By the time RLE was looking for new pieces, it was already obsolete in France, and they were eventually found (after some very diligent searching) in a compound at St Dizier. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to a friend of mine who’s recently retired from Eurostar and he told me that all the Eurotunnel, HS1 catenary and in cab signalling is of French design mainly because of their experiences in high speed rail travel. 

Edited by jools1959

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Thanks for the info!

However regarding Mk4 catenary was that ever used or was it one of BR’s plans that didn’t make it any further from the paper?

best regards, Matthew 

Hi Matthew,

The reference I read said "not implemented", so I assume it was never used anywhere.

8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I spoke to a friend of mine who’s recently retired from Eurostar and he told me that all the Eurotunnel, HS1 catenary and in cab signalling is of French design mainly because of their experiences in high speed rail travel. 

Whilst there may have been a choice for the ole other than that employed on the LGVs, in the case of the signalling TVM430 was really the only viable game in town at the time.  Plus Eurostars had to be fitted with 4 signalling systems as it was so using a different, untried 5th system for ET and maybe an untried 6th for HS1 would have built in multiple additional complexities.  Far more sensible to use TVM430 which the trains had to have anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1