South Gallions, sarf of the London River in the 50's

Ian Blenk

Well a change of direction and location after years of modelling the N.E. of England.

I am hoping to produce something based on a supposed ex SER terminal on the south bank of the Thames. I kind of liked the LBSC freight only branch to Depford Wharf and so took the idea of a SER branch from the North Kent East Junction  to the bank of the Thames. The terminus has a connection with a domestic coal wharf owned by Corral and an infrequent passenger service.

I really wanted to build something based on Port Victoria, but this has been done so much better than I ever could.

Space available 7' x 2'  Scenic 5' x 2'  built in two sections each 5' x 1'

This will be a slow burn project as  I also Have Tynebank to look after (see elsewhere)

I won't be using either of the buildings in the snap.

DSC00368.JPG

Edited by Ian Blenk
error
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Erith is well worth a look. Lots of interesting wharfery hard by the SER station that can be used as an example.

For a hypothetical terminus, go slightly up-stream from Angerstein's Wharf to the peninsula by Blackwall reach and you have the biggest gas works in Europe, plus surrounding industries and housing. That sounds like it could support a better connection to the SER with a passenger service.

1603561284_ScreenShot2019-02-08at21_49_30.png.d79966e93cef635737b8e45b525af3b7.png

The railway into the gasworks was a sub-branch from the Angerstein's Wharf Branch, so it all sort of goes together.

Perhaps the terminus could be called East Greenwich, like the gasworks, and be sited pretty much exactly where North Greenwich station on the Jubilee Line now is?

It would be quite a 'late' line, in that the area was still pretty much marshland until the gasworks was built in the 1880s, but maybe it could be a mirror image of my favourite "London Terminus", that of the Millwall Extension Railway, which was called ..... er ........ North Greenwich, even though it was on the other side of the river.

It really only requires a very slight bending of history:

"The South Eastern Co. had ambitious plans for an extension of the line to Blackwall Point where it would run to a floating pier extending 120 ft. into the river. The aim was to establish a ferry across the river so as to form a communication with the newly opened North London Railway. The Admiralty objected on the grounds ‘that such protrusion into the Thames would deflect the current and also inconvenience craft navigating the river’. They did however suggest that a dock or recess in the land cut out to receive the floating jetty would equally serve the purpose. Presumably the S.E.R. had second thoughts, possibly financial, for they rapidly dropped the river project. "

I think that where this mentions the NLR, it is because they ran some trains through to Blackwall (old L&B Station) rather than terminating at Poplar.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Have you delved into the history of Angerstein Wharf ....... you might just need to give it a passenger station.

Not, yet, but this sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a look. I spent a lot of time on mainly colliers running up the London River with either Domestic or power coal, I wanted to try and recreate some of the aspects I remember

Thanks so much

Ian B

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

Erith is well worth a look. Lots of interesting wharfery hard by the SER station that can be used as an example.

For a hypothetical terminus, go slightly up-stream from Angerstein's Wharf to the peninsula by Blackwall reach and you have the biggest gas works in Europe, plus surrounding industries and housing. That sounds like it could support a better connection to the SER with a passenger service.

1603561284_ScreenShot2019-02-08at21_49_30.png.d79966e93cef635737b8e45b525af3b7.png

Thank-you very much for the suggestions, I did think of somewhere near Erith, as i was a regular visitor there in my Merchant navy days. 

Ian B

38 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

What period are you aiming at Ian? 60's? If so, will this be an electrified branch?

Yeah, late 50's with electrification HALs, BILs and NOLs. Steam on freight , Class C mainly. It's going to be a slow build, so don't expect frequent updates!

Ian B

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ian Blenk said:

Yeah, late 50's with electrification HALs, BILs and NOLs. Steam on freight , Class C mainly. It's going to be a slow build, so don't expect frequent updates!

Ian B

Most excellent!! Another third rail layout to drool over, eventually.

• 1 month later...

Some Progress.

I was going for a Spa Road vibe. I my reality I have diverted the East London Line and the Grand Surrey Canal, which the unit is passing over. More when it happens

SG2.JPG

SG1.JPG

Edited by Ian Blenk
Spelling
  • Like 5

Ian, I don't want to bu99er you about but, by the late 1950s, the South Eastern side was pretty well just EPBs and HAPs.  The Chatham side still had a few wooden bodies SUBs, but the vacuum braked stock was mostly on the Brighton side.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/04/2019 at 11:40, Ian Blenk said:

Making some progress on the arches, still need to add lamp and use the cutter to produce SE&CR to put above the door

DSC00377.JPG

Very nice. It's good to see the yellow/red combination of bricks appearing on a layout in convincing form. Is this papers or laser-cut? I ask because I need some very similar arches for Strand.

23 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

Very nice. It's good to see the yellow/red combination of bricks appearing on a layout in convincing form. Is this papers or laser-cut? I ask because I need some very similar arches for Strand.

Thanks!

I used Scalescenes papers  Cream Brick not London Brick, I scanned these and put them in Publisher so I could use the transparency tool to fade them down a bit. Weathered them with some powder, Hope that is useful

Ian B

• Informative/Useful 2

Interesting project Ian, all looks good so far. I'm trying to build something based on a London dock but struggling with the buildings. Did you varnish any of the arches before you put the powder on? 

Steve.

16 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Interesting project Ian, all looks good so far. I'm trying to build something based on a London dock but struggling with the buildings. Did you varnish any of the arches before you put the powder on? 

Steve.

No just put the powder on with finger and rubbed it about.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ian Blenk said:

No just put the powder on with finger and rubbed it about.

Sorry got called away in the middle of that, I think using an ink jet printer gives a rough enough surface to provide a key for the powder. I avoid using  laser printers as they give a semi gloss finish which requires matting down, I would love to see something based on a London Dock, have you anything specific in mind?

Ian B