South Gallions, sarf of the London River in the 50's

Ian Blenk

Not exactly, I've got some pics of Millwall docks and some of the east end. I was after buildings that look like London but I've never scratchbuilt anything from pictures. I did a mock up using metcalfe buildings but they are too generic. 

I admire layouts where you look at them and can see the intended location.

Steve.

8 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Not exactly, I've got some pics of Millwall docks and some of the east end. I was after buildings that look like London but I've never scratchbuilt anything from pictures. I did a mock up using metcalfe buildings but they are too generic. 

Steve.

Give it a go, if it looks right it is right, don't get hung up on detail. Try and get a copy of that book I mentioned earlier, it really is a gold mine of colour photos of the area. Have you a copy of ' London's East End Railways' Part 2, branch lines to the docks by D. Brennand (Book Law Publications) another excellent source. Sorry if I'm telling Granny how to such eggs! Keep us posted of your progress.

Cheers

Ian B

• Agree 2

Thanks Ian, I will look for that book. I've got the east end railways books, they are a mine of information, I always look to them for ideas. I'd recommend all of them for anyone with an intrest in the area.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Steve. 

12 hours ago, sb67 said:

Steve.

Hi,

you can cover the parts of Metcalfe buildings with different brick papers and add details before assembling to get a different look from the generic one if you're not confident scratchbuilding.

Roja

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

An interesting thread - right up my street (as they say). I even used to paly football at the Segas sports ground in Horn Lane near the East Greenwich gas works in the mid 1970s. And recall some of the local 'gas' stories of one worker who built a concrete ocean going yacht in the works that needed a heavy industrial crane to left it out and into the water and that much of the terracing barriers on the old Charlton football ground were made from purloined gas barrel.

But that aside, making buildings from photographs is not inherently difficult. It's a matter of doing some research and obtaining sufficient views of it to understand the overall shape and size. Buildings in South London are pretty distinctive. The Westerham layout thread has some fantastic atmospheric buildings on it and is worth a look

And, my building thread features structures from the London Bridge area: 

HTH.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/02/2019 at 19:06, Ian Blenk said:

A sample from within.

IMG_2286.JPG

I've followed your north east layouts since I started on RMWeb. I'll be watching this with great interest, especially because it is an area that I don't really know.

Unfortunately your period is a bit early for the excellent 1600E in the photograph!!!! Ah memories!!

• Like 1

Yellow brickwork - very Southern. I like it. 

Are you going to dirty up the brickwork? I was astonished in the late 80s I think when they cleaned the exterior brickwork of Chatham station, and changed the colour completely,

Separate point, should the title be Saff London, rather then Sarf! Mind you, there's no R in Bath, and no F in logic when it comes to British place names.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Surely the double ‘f’ would imply a short/hard ‘a’, which would be a altogether wrong. ‘Saaf’ maybe?

Yes, but I was trying to avoid the potential misinterpretation of 'aa' as a long 'a' sound as in 'arches' or 'Sarf' or 'alf a crown guv'nor'. International Phonetic Alphabet anyone?

Or better, a concrete example, the pronunciation of 'trousers' by Phil Daniels in Blur's Parklife.

26 minutes ago, Ian Blenk said:

Sarf Shields

Well in that case, all bets are off! 

• 1 month later...

No 11 rests in the shade on the truncated E.L.L. branch to Deptford Creek after working a S.C.T.S. rail tour from Baker Street. It will return light to Neasdon.

Boy, close-ups highlight dodgy modelling, some work to do!  I know there are no stop lights on the buffers, amongst other things!

ell3.jpg

• Like 18

• 4 months later...

Hope to be demonstrating construction of some buildings for South Gallions  at Workington MRX. on the Saturday, am hoping to have S.G. there as a static display, pop along for a chat

Workington Model Railway Exhibition 2019

Saturday November 16th 10am to 5pm

Sunday November 17th 10am to 4pm

ENERGUS, Blackwood Road, Lillyhall, Workington CA14 4JW

WMRX1.JPG

cable st..jpg

WMRX2.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I'm fairly local to the area, (Brockley), and have taken quite a few photos over the years along the Greenwich-Gallions stretchof the Thames. Unfortunately they are not well sorted, so I can't easily point you to anything relevant yet. This is the street side of what seems to have been a small works complex, with the other side on the riverbank.

http://4288571081_b15fcfa8ff_b.jpgRIMG0147 by David Harvey, on Flickr

One of the distinctive features of a lot of the riverside sites is a panel of stone in an otherwise brick wall, usually adjacent to a gateway.

http://4288571957_a780518885_b.jpgRIMG0167 by David Harvey, on Flickr

If you would like some more pictures like these, I can post them here.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, unravelled said:

Hi, I'm fairly local to the area, (Brockley), and have taken quite a few photos over the years along the Greenwich-Gallions stretchof the Thames. Unfortunately they are not well sorted, so I can't easily point you to anything relevant yet. This is the street side of what seems to have been a small works complex, with the other side on the riverbank.

http://4288571081_b15fcfa8ff_b.jpgRIMG0147 by David Harvey, on Flickr

One of the distinctive features of a lot of the riverside sites is a panel of stone in an otherwise brick wall, usually adjacent to a gateway.

http://4288571957_a780518885_b.jpgRIMG0167 by David Harvey, on Flickr

If you would like some more pictures like these, I can post them here.

Thanks

Dave

Great photos, very inspirational and thanks for posting, I would love to see some more of them. I am afraid progress with S.G. is slow, but I'm hoping to have a speed up over the winter.

Thanks

Ian B

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking convincing.

I've just uploaded some more photos taken in the Greenwich/Deptford area over the last few years. They show that industrial red brick is OK for south of the river, if you want some variety.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157711770750377

I hope they are of some interest

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great photos and thanks for the link. The next set of buildings are the rear of a terrace I was going to do these in cream brick. I've done the ones in the previous post in faded red which kinda looks yellow, I wanted some variety otherwise it would look like a Laura Ashley bedroom. I have seen some roofs of what appears to be corrugated asbestos (or iron) on domestic properties, I don't know if they were built like this or is it temp. replacement for bomb damage? Can you help?

Thanks!

Taking the layout to Workington Show on Saturday may even meet Workington man.

Cheers

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts! "Peanuts, peanuts, who wants peanuts?" Percy's men roamed the terraces at Highbury at home games dispensing small paper bags from their sacks. They may have roamed the terraces at W***t H**t Lane but I wouldn't know about that . . .

Lovely modelling, Ian.

David

1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts! "Peanuts, peanuts, who wants peanuts?" Percy's men roamed the terraces at Highbury at home games dispensing small paper bags from their sacks. They may have roamed the terraces at W***t H**t Lane but I wouldn't know about that . . .

Lovely modelling, Ian.

David

Thank-you very much, the strap line was 'By test, the best'

Ian