South Gallions, sarf of the London River in the 50's

Ian Blenk

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2019 at 15:45, ianblenk said:

Need to put girders on the underside of the bridge, but trying out montage for back scene. Obviously still need to put in street furniture etc.

A question, would class 15's be seen in such a location, or indeed Cl 73 on trip working? I should know but, don't!

Thanks guys

Ian B

IMG_2953.JPG

A burnt-out Zephyr... Someone's done a Post Office job!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2020 at 10:37, ianblenk said:

Beginning to doubt whether there would have been a box in the position shown. Most likely at the 'entrance' end of the station. So will probably replace with shunter's bothy (concrete). Can anyone confirm this. I have to say I cannot find a precedence for there being a box in such a position  in this region. Shame I do like the austerity of the A.R.P.s

Doesn’t quite answer your doubts, but I was made aware of Richmond (Yorks) by Wingman Mothergoose’s thread.  There, the box is at the ‘wrong’ end of the station, I suspect due to the station being extended.

Link to SRS website (hope it works) https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lner/E131.gif

Operationally, it would work for you as the trains have to pass the box into the headshunt.  Arguably it is a good place for the box as it’s close to all the pointwork.

I realise that I haven’t answered the ‘in this region’ question and that justifying an ARP box is also a challenge.  (Perhaps an upgrade during the war and that was the only space available?)

Just ideas - depends how strong the pull of an ARP box is!

Paul.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Doesn’t quite answer your doubts, but I was made aware of Richmond (Yorks) by Wingman Mothergoose’s thread.  There, the box is at the ‘wrong’ end of the station, I suspect due to the station being extended.

Link to SRS website (hope it works) https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lner/E131.gif

Operationally, it would work for you as the trains have to pass the box into the headshunt.  Arguably it is a good place for the box as it’s close to all the pointwork.

I realise that I haven’t answered the ‘in this region’ question and that justifying an ARP box is also a challenge.  (Perhaps an upgrade during the war and that was the only space available?)

Just ideas - depends how strong the pull of an ARP box is!

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I think on the basis that I like the ARP box I will include it. I have also planned a temporary station building at ground level based on the one on the ELL at Wapping, the supposition being that end of the station suffered some bomb damage, so I'm guessing an ARP box would fit in well with that. Thanks again

Ian

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, a question, I am about to start on point rodding etc. I am uncertain about placing FPLs.

My question is would the turnout on the left of the snap have one. In theory the EMUs passing over it to the lay-by would not have passengers on board, can anyone help?

Once again thanks for your help!

Ian B

FPL.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Technically, it would not have to have one, but it might still do so in case of overruns.

there should be a catch point on the left hand siding, though. Either you don’t have one, or the van is standing on it.

(Also true on the other siding.)

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Technically, it would not have to have one, but it might still do so in case of overruns.

there should be a catch point on the left hand siding, though. Either you don’t have one, or the van is standing on it.

(Also true on the other siding.)

Thanks so much for getting back on that, I'll have to get a C.P. in place,as you say there should be one! I guess I'll put a FPL in, they always add to the scene!

Thanks again

Ian B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian, meant to say how much I admire this layout last time I saw it crop up on here. The row of buildings at the back hidden on the other side of the arches is by far my favourite element -- the juxtaposition of all the different roof angles, window heights, chimneys and attic rooms is fantastic. The last B&W photo with the J50 in particular is great.

It very much reminds me of this photo of a C Class passing through Loughborough Junction. Hope you like. https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p814111115/h8f8e7eae#h8f8e7eae

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hi Ian, meant to say how much I admire this layout last time I saw it crop up on here. The row of buildings at the back hidden on the other side of the arches is by far my favourite element -- the juxtaposition of all the different roof angles, window heights, chimneys and attic rooms is fantastic. The last B&W photo with the J50 in particular is great.

It very much reminds me of this photo of a C Class passing through Loughborough Junction. Hope you like. https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p814111115/h8f8e7eae#h8f8e7eae

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I have a class C awaiting weathering and some detail work. My next tasks are to finish an ARP box and retro fit some catch points before starting the point rodding.

Cheers

Ian B

• Like 1

Well finally got that ARP box finished.

A question after the war were the ARP cowls on the signals kept in place, I can't imagine they were removed. Someone will know! 

Thanks guys

Ian B

ARP1.JPG

ARP2.JPG

ARP3.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress with the coal yard, I'm sure you will recognise the source of the buildings.

I need a break from building the layout, time to start on that Roxey NOL, anyone out there built one, I'll bet there is, wanna show and tell?

CY1.JPG

CY2.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian.

Looks very good, bringing back the flavour of South East London. I remember Fanto's in Deptford High Street well.

Unfortunately, the High Street is a poor shadow of its former self, and Deptford Station has been mucked about with leaving little of the original. I also know the remains of Spa Road Station very well and was involved when they were being renovated and modernised for industrial purposes.

All the best

Ray