South Gallions, sarf of the London River in the 50's

Ian Blenk

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Ian.

Looks very good, bringing back the flavour of South East London. I remember Fanto's in Deptford High Street well.

Unfortunately, the High Street is a poor shadow of its former self, and Deptford Station has been mucked about with leaving little of the original. I also know the remains of Spa Road Station very well and was involved when they were being renovated and modernised for industrial purposes.

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that, I haven't been to Deptford for years, the last time would be about 1981 when we brought coal from the N.E. to Deptford East Power Station, which I think was the last of the three still in commission. Our usual discharges were Tilbury, W. Turrock and Kingsnorth. I guess it's all greatly changed now!

Cheers

Ian B

Hi Ian.

Interestingly, my father worked at Deptford Power Station as a turbine operator. My uncle Charlie also worked there. He worked in an outside area called 'The Stowage' where they unloaded the coal for the station.

Deptford Power Station is long gone, but I am not sure what has been built on the site. Must have a walk around there.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Upper level finished now, and attention turns to street level. The unfinished building bottom left is going to be a replacement hut built after bomb damage to the original, based on Wapping on the E.L.L. of which I only have one photo. I could mug it, but can anyone direct me to more photos of Wapping. Useless info; Wapping was Saxon for riverside marsh land.

Cheers stay safe etc. 

DSC00592.JPG

• Like 19

Hi Ian, 

Only just found this, really lovely layout in a small space. I did love Southern/ELL 3rd rail before I gravitated to GER steam and had a few attempts at a layout which didn't pan out, sold my EPB's. This might prod me to plan something SR again after I've eventually finished what I'm working on... More photos please! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost completed a couple of pill boxes, need lamps and transfers.

A question; regarding newspaper and parcel traffic, not all inner suburban stations would have this traffic, the ones that did, i expect it was early morning. I haven't seen any pics of such traffic, can anyone shed lght on this?

Cheers as always. Ian B

Brake 2.JPG

Brake1.JPG

• Like 12

Seen today at South Gallions;

N class leaves with am parcels for London Bridge

C class arrives light to take coal empties back to Deptford Wharf

Departure for Deptford

Peak hour EPBs to and from Cannon St.

I know, I need to sort out head codes!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Cannon Street used odd headcodes, Charing Cross even ones. Trains via the Greenwich line used 8x numbers. Trains via Blackheath and Charlton (known as the North Kent line) used 6x numbers. 

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, to me it's a ral minefield, I will get them done; eventually!

Cheers

Ian

I have gone through the pictures several times over in the last few weeks and they still look just great. Creating a model railway is one thing but creating the right atmosphere around it is a totally different ballgame . For such a small layout you have done a terrific job in representing the run down South London feel of  the era. Great layout.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 19:24, ianblenk said:

Temporary station building at South Gallions due to bomb damage. Based on E.L.L. Wapping. Need to sort out street furniture next so ignore post box!

I like that temporary station building. Nicely modelled, suitably ramshackle and provides contrast to the yellow brickwork.

Edited by grahame
  • Thanks 1