South Gallions, sarf of the London River in the 50's

Ian Blenk

Need to put girders on the underside of the bridge, but trying out montage for back scene. Obviously still need to put in street furniture etc.

A question, would class 15's be seen in such a location, or indeed Cl 73 on trip working? I should know but, don't!

Thanks guys

Ian B

IMG_2953.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ianblenk said:

Need to put girders on the underside of the bridge, but trying out montage for back scene. Obviously still need to put in street furniture etc.

A question, would class 15's be seen in such a location, or indeed Cl 73 on trip working? I should know but, don't!

Thanks guys

Ian B

IMG_2953.JPG

Looking really good so far!

If this is set in the 50's, then Class 73's are improbable. They didn't appear in any numbers until the mid-60's (apart from the 6 prototypes, in '62).

However, there is always Rule 1.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loving the look of of this so far, certainly has the London atmosphere about it. I cant work out from the pics where the coal yard part fits in, could you take a pic of the whole layout or make a plan of it?

• Thanks 1

Really intrigued by this. My Grandad worked at the Greenwich gasworks (SEGAS?) from the 30s to the 70s, and my Dad was for some time based out of Greenwich Fire Station (the old one under the flyover), so used to know the area quite well. Mundane ask - any chance of a track plan or overall shot? 

Mitch

Simon B - great minds...

Edited by FiveandNine
  • Informative/Useful 1

Making a start with the station canopies, obviously just pace holding at the moment. Awaiting SER valencing from Roxey Moldings. I used embossed lead sheet for the corrugated iron roofing. I am going to try mirrored card at the ends of the canopies on the back scene. Not certain how well it will work.

IMG_3136.JPG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Beginning to doubt whether there would have been a box in the position shown. Most likely at the 'entrance' end of the station. So will probably replace with shunter's bothy (concrete). Can anyone confirm this. I have to say I cannot find a precedence for there being a box in such a position  in this region. Shame I do like the austerity of the A.R.P.s

Thanks guys

Ian B

ARP.JPG

• Like 9

Work very much in progress, needs a clean up of solder and adjustment. Elevated ground signal to improve visibility at platform end, controls three paths. The apparent coloured light signal is a route indicator which will show which path the road is set for, Need to blank off bottom aspect.

sig1.jpg

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Done, apart from ladder, which I'll do when I finish off the platform furniture. Cable runs next, so my list says.

I didn't use the modified Eckon signal head as it din't look 'chunky' enough for the actual one, which I'm guessing contained the mechanical apparatus to change the route slides.

Cheers Guys

sig2.JPG

sig3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I do like that, Ian. Like you, I would also doubt having a signal box of that size. That said, if it was a through route, then a box like that is quite feasible. 

You seem to have caught some of the atmosphere very well.

Best wishes,

Ian.

• Thanks 1