South Gallions, sarf of the London River in the 50's

Ian Blenk

Hi Ian, long time no post on my part but it's wonderful to see the last few updates on this page. The huts and clutter in the yard are perfectly observed. The trackwork, ballast, beaten-up vans and dilapidated C Class -- all so atmospheric and the level of detail is ultra-realistic without being overbearing. Most of all, the composition of the whole scene just looks spot on now that it's all come together -- foreground detail, arches, railway, and buildings half-hidden behind all go together so naturally. One of my all-time favourites on the forum, no doubt about it.

Adam

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Calidore said:

Hi Ian, long time no post on my part but it's wonderful to see the last few updates on this page. The huts and clutter in the yard are perfectly observed. The trackwork, ballast, beaten-up vans and dilapidated C Class -- all so atmospheric and the level of detail is ultra-realistic without being overbearing. Most of all, the composition of the whole scene just looks spot on now that it's all come together -- foreground detail, arches, railway, and buildings half-hidden behind all go together so naturally. One of my all-time favourites on the forum, no doubt about it.

Adam

Wow, thank-you for that, glad you have enjoyed looking at  the snaps. The next two big tasks are to finish a Roxey 2 NOL and fit some sort of auto-coupling to the stock!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, flyingbadger said:

"Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Great layout 'Ozymandias' (see your earlier photos) not so much despair as inspire.

I forgot I had that pinned to my 'memory' wall, a favourite poem of mine. Thanks for the kind comment!

I B

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Calidore said:

An H class might solve your problem there Ian, just saying... would look might fine suitably grimed-up and placed in those surroundings!

Adam

Yep. always liked the H, if I got one it would only lead to a take on Port Victoria!

3 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Would prefer another tank other than a P for shunting, not a terrier!

I wonder when Class 08 started to be used, I suppose their slow speed made it difficult to get a path.

44.JPG

45.JPG

Some 08’s were geared for 20mph, and there were also the almost identical 09’s that were geared for 27 mph so with a bit a imagination one or other should fit, except that they won’t have the character of a class H tank !

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have today completed the girders for under the Cable Street bridge!  Pics to follow, then will do lead flashing on the Station hut.

I wanted to display the movements (timetable is too grand a word) just in case anyone is interested in what's going on. Doubtful as usually folks only spend a few minutes in front of a layout.

I've gone for this; produce a slide on Powerpoint, keep it brief, save it as JPEG, run them on electronic photo frame using a remote control so it can be advanced when ready. Examples below.

Any ideas or comments would be really welcome 

3.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Ian Blenk
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Any ideas or comments would be really welcome 

3.jpg

2.jpg

… a model of Deptford Wharf, to run end-to-end? :bye_mini:

In all seriousness the slides are a great idea. Hope you have a good show when it comes around, I’m sure the model will be very popular.

Adam

• Thanks 1

Those B&W photos show this to be truly marvellous.

On a picky note: were 2-BIL used in this sort of area? I wouldn't like to make a categoric statement, but I would have thought it would be served by suburban units with no first class (EPBs and preceding types). 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Those B&W photos show this to be truly marvellous.

On a picky note: were 2-BIL used in this sort of area? I wouldn't like to make a categoric statement, but I would have thought it would be served by suburban units with no first class (EPBs and preceding types). 

Well I have an EPB which does 'The Charing Cross shuttle, but I rather like BILs and NOLs and so for my own delight run them up and down!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Good for you!

Can I advocate a HAL also, they being a very Kent sort of EMU?

And, do, please bring it south if at all possible.

I do have a HAL, but it needs weathering down and a few detail parts, must get round to it. I also have a B4 which as far as I know didn't go any where near Deptford. Maybe you or someone could answer this question; In the North East where i grew up it was common to see NCB lococ plated by the railway executive running on BR lines or making excursions on to them, did anything similar happen on the North Kent Line or on the estuary. I always thought not as their slow speed would not fit into the running of 'fast electrics'. Many Thanks!