14mm track gauges for modelling 3'6" lines in 4mm scale

outcastjack

Hello, I fancy making a Hong Kong tram based micro layout in 4mm scale and as a result needs to make some 14mm gauge track. I can't find any track gauges for this although it seems there used to be some support for 7mm scale 2' gauge modelling.

Does anyone know of any? If not i am torn between using 3mm fine scale track gauges at 14.2mm or making my own gauges

• Friendly/supportive 1

KB Scale was the dominant supplier for 7mm scale, 14mm gauge narrow gauge modelling. The basis of it is the range that was formerly produced by Roy Link. I built quite a few of their wagon kits about a decade ago and they were quality models. They also produced all the bits and pieces to built your pwn track. However, the last time I read anything there was some talk that the range was not available or at least the owner had significantly scaled back production. I am not sure what the latest is, so worth a look?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

KB Scale,s website has been out of action for some time now, however, that wouldn't have helped anyway as the query is four 4mm scale.

Sorry... well and truly put in my place there! :blush:

Thank you all,some useful suggestions there.

I think i will cut a basic gauge for my test section and get some roller gauges turned if i start in earnest.  

To answer the question above I am looking for gauges to build track rather than for consistent spacing, although i will knock up a jig for that too.

I do like the idea of 3.5mm scale on tt track but as David B has already pointed out the availability of 00 gauge HK trams is appealing.

Edited by outcastjack

Thank you for all of the suggestions, as it happens Stephen Freeman has offered to make a set of 14mm gauges for me at the same price as his usual gauges so my problem is now solved.

I have ordered a set of 14.2 and 14.4 mm gauges too, to allow for gauge widening on the (extremely tight) curves.

The outcome is that I have the tools to do this to ~ P4 standards.

I figured there must be people in for example NZ modelling 3'6" in 4mm scale, but I can't find any so I think this may be unique.

I am finding it really intoxicating doing something so unusual (daft?), I got oddly excited when asked what flange way gaps I wanted! 

I am also not sure what to call the scale/gauge combination; oo-14?

Edited by outcastjack
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 13:13, outcastjack said:

Thank you for all of the suggestions, as it happens Stephen Freeman has offered to make a set of 14mm gauges for me at the same price as his usual gauges so my problem is now solved.

I have ordered a set of 14.2 and 14.4 mm gauges too, to allow for gauge widening on the (extremely tight) curves.

The outcome is that I have the tools to do this to ~ P4 standards.

I figured there must be people in for example NZ modelling 3'6" in 4mm scale, but I can't find any so I think this may be unique.

I am finding it really intoxicating doing something so unusual (daft?), I got oddly excited when asked what flange way gaps I wanted! 

Pleased to hear that you're sorted out now. Nothing wrorg with being a bit different and I have great admiration for you ploughing a lone furrow like this. It will certainly be a unique project and will be fascinating to watch it develop! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you South_Tyne, that is very kind. The unusual always appeals to me and I love the idea of being able to run full length "trains" for once.

Keith thank you for that, I have seen your BR layout somewhere but hadn't realised you did some African modelling too. 

P4n14 it is!

Edited by outcastjack
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 23:13, outcastjack said:

There are people in Tasmania modelling 3'6" in 4mm scale, but they generally use 16.5mm gauge (which is actually no worse a compromise than OO standard gauge).

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Outcastjack, please be patient!!!   You are not alone in your plea for 3'6" gauge in 4mm.   14mm. gauge is just right and KW Trams produce nine different wheel-base four wheel mechs for trams on this gauge and this is now being followed up with paved track sections.   I have noted your interest and I would welcome news of others who want to model 4mm. scale trams on this gauge.   Kind regards, Colin.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:13, outcastjack said:

The normal scales in NZ modelling seem to be Sn3.5 and NZ120 - that is 1:64 scale on 16.5mm gauge and 1:120 scale (TT) on 9mm gauge

Sn3.5 might be an option for anyone modelling British 3'6" gauge systems as I believe the Corgi diecast trams are approximately 1:64

There is also the nomenclature Iain Rice suggested years ago in MORILL , which would give you 4n3.5

By the way, we are currently calling it "OO14" in line with "O14".   I use 16.5mm. gauge for my 'four-footer' fleet (what's 0.5mm. out!) although I continue to use it for my London fleet which was started way back in the early 1960's when 18.83mm. was not seen to have commercial prospects.

On 20/02/2019 at 20:41, outcastjack said:

It did occur to me that 00 was a pretty good compromise at a scale 4'1.5" 

In other 4mm 3'6" news one of the layouts at this years Australian Narrow Gauge Convention is a 14mm gauge layout and from what little I can find online it looks very lovely. 

Most people modelling 3'-6" gauge do it in either Sn3.5 (16.5mmgauge - almost spot on) or HOn3.5 (12mm gauge again very close) or 9mm scale (on 32mm track again very close) .  There is limited commercial support in the form of kits, etc. for of these scales and wheels etc just come from the mainstream scales.  For example

https://nzfinescale.com/

http://www.endofthelinehobbies.com.au/railway/s-sn35-164

http://www.northyard.co.nz/

http://www.blackdiamondmodels.com.au/ho.html

I can't think why anyone would want to use 4mm scale for 3'-6" gauge as there is no support for it.

Edited by asmay2002

I've a bit of 4mm 4ft gauge track that I have project for, again a tramway but whilst I've built a prototype I'm not sure that I can do it to P4 stds as the tram wheel profile is quite a bit different to a railway one, I think the flange gap is down to 0.45mm. My EM stuff uses a 0.8mm flangeway and that works ok, if I continue with the 4ft idea it's most likely to be EMn16! I think that sorta represents the standards.

This is std gauge/EM built up from rail bar and strip.

DSC_0054.JPG

• Like 1

Now, Red Devil, with your interest in Leeds I was expecting to see the 'Stanningley' transfer section from 18.83mm. to 16mm.!!!   That would be a first!!!   One for the Guiness Book of Records!   Looks extremely good so look forward to seeing more photos especially in use by standard Bradford cars and those Leeds and Bradford cars that could change gauge on the move.   However, my life is too short to convert my 'four-footers' from 16.5 to 16.   All the best, Colin.     

• Like 1