My memories of Ilfracombe date from 1969/1970. We made a number of trips up there, and I remember my dad taking me up in the last week in 1970. Therefore my memories are of the final years of the line, but it is still nice to see it portrayed,

cheers

• Like 2

A little bit more work has been done over the bank holiday weekend in the scorching heat. First up was to cut a hole in the board where steps and embankment will go. 

IMG_20200523_224237.jpg.cb316dedcb1d6c9e620228e188d9a8f2.jpg

You can see I then laid out some of my building drawings to check everything is looking like it will fit. I've then made a couple of practice runs at the station building from card. The first was too big this second one is much better so I'll crack on in plasticard soon. 

IMG_20200525_200929.jpg.5e6fb03c60658c06761f34ad726177b8.jpg

I've also done some more work on the colours in the carriage sidings to have a little bit more variety in tones. Not sure if you can see this in the photos.

IMG_20200525_200912.jpg.3e6c726f535f71c86e746bbb46de788c.jpg

A hole was cut out the cork in the goods yard so the goods shed can slot in once it's been made. It's all starting to come together I've also got to support the base of the platform before adding the floor. I've ordered some coping stones from scale model scenery which will also be used. 

IMG_20200525_200903.jpg.78824526526714d63115fc13960582b3.jpg

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good progress Pete, like the idea of the rail network drawings if that’s what they are blown to scale and cut out?

but were to big?

Every little bit is a bit nearer.

Cheers 

8 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Good progress Pete, like the idea of the rail network drawings if that’s what they are blown to scale and cut out?

but were to big?

Every little bit is a bit nearer.

Cheers 

Yeah they are the drawings I got from network rail. I've also edited some of them so they have the correct layout for the station building ie. Where windows and doors should be.

So some of the drawings have real measurements on them so I've used my scale ruler to make sure they match up once scaled. The fact that the first building was too big was that I didn't measure properly haha woops. It was a little too wide and the floor wasn't at the correct height. I guess that's why you have test runs.

Cheers 

Pete

Nice work, I love ilfracombe - last holiday there in 2017, want to go back...

I guess it was the poor siting of the station high above the town that killed it as a viable rail destination - and even then I find it surprising as Places like Newquay and Torquay were still viable .

I clearly remember being on holiday there as a kid, when 2 hawks and 2 tornados came round the coast line  heading for Chivenor . 

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I guess it was the poor siting of the station high above the town that killed it as a viable rail destination - and even then I find it surprising as Places like Newquay and Torquay were still viable .

I clearly remember being on holiday there as a kid, when 2 hawks and 2 tornados came round the coast line  heading for Chivenor . 

I imagine a combination of people moving away from holidaying in the UK didn't help to start with. It also didn't help the line when it was transferred to the western region around 1963 or so. I'm not sure they really cared about the line and didn't really see it as a viable source of income.

Pete

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Yeah they are the drawings I got from network rail. I've also edited some of them so they have the correct layout for the station building ie. Where windows and doors should be.

So some of the drawings have real measurements on them so I've used my scale ruler to make sure they match up once scaled. The fact that the first building was too big was that I didn't measure properly haha woops. It was a little too wide and the floor wasn't at the correct height. I guess that's why you have test runs.

Cheers 

Pete

Ah thought I recognised them. Network Rail I meant to say! I can’t remember where I found out about it. But they had no Barnstaple Town on there I mailed them and soon after they loaded them up, rather expensive but the digital download is more acceptable in price. Like your use of them something I hadn’t thought of. Test runs something I don’t do enough of!

Cheers.

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I'm not much of an expert on the line (I travelled it as a child a couple of times in the last years), but I believe it was built cheaply, more or less to light railway regulations which lead to later problems. Although the line was doubled soon after opening there remained something like 11 level crossings (two right beside Braunton station) which increased staff costs and slowed line speed. I suspect that would not have helped the embryonic preservation attempt that failed.

cheers 

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I'm not much of an expert on the line (I travelled it as a child a couple of times in the last years), but I believe it was built cheaply, more or less to light railway regulations which lead to later problems. Although the line was doubled soon after opening there remained something like 11 level crossings (two right beside Braunton station) which increased staff costs and slowed line speed. I suspect that would not have helped the embryonic preservation attempt that failed.

cheers 

Your right @Rivercider the crossings would have definitely been an issue with all the staff needed. The line was also very light on freight thought it's life let alone like the rest of the railways when roads started stealing business. 

My order from scale model scenery arrived today. It includes a station interior kit and the harbour steps kit which will be adapted for the stairs down to the town. I also received my platform coping although these are named as network rail coping stones they actually match what was at Ilfracombe pretty well. The real ones were a bit wider but since my platform is thinner than scale this will help to make it look bigger. 

IMG_20200526_151129.jpg.d70d9822bdb7dab62b6f66db4b09b600.jpg

First up I glued in cross braced from card to ensure that when I put the platform face on there was no bowing. These were just cut from thick card and glued into place.

IMG_20200526_160549.jpg.5376fc85cef9dab9e2f261f1700c9cf2.jpg

I then used 30thou plasticard for the base. They were cut into 3 inch strips and then poly cemented into the peco platform edges.

IMG_20200526_175447.jpg.7db32bbb4330e3190e706b7fe6ceef0b.jpg

Finally the scale model scenery coping stones were glued in. The centre will eventually be filled with a gravel or sand texture to simulate the platform surface. This section will be under the canopy eventually so I'll not go too heavy. The next board has the platform outside the canopy so I'll go for something more coarse. The second part of the platform will include the Ilfracombe station sign, flowerbeds and telegraph poles as well as the starter signal at the end of the platform.

Cheers 

Pete 

• Like 6

On 26/05/2020 at 22:28, PeteN92 said:

Your right @Rivercider the crossings would have definitely been an issue with all the staff needed. The line was also very light on freight thought it's life let alone like the rest of the railways when roads started stealing business. 

My order from scale model scenery arrived today. It includes a station interior kit and the harbour steps kit which will be adapted for the stairs down to the town. I also received my platform coping although these are named as network rail coping stones they actually match what was at Ilfracombe pretty well. The real ones were a bit wider but since my platform is thinner than scale this will help to make it look bigger. 

IMG_20200526_151129.jpg.d70d9822bdb7dab62b6f66db4b09b600.jpg

First up I glued in cross braced from card to ensure that when I put the platform face on there was no bowing. These were just cut from thick card and glued into place.

IMG_20200526_160549.jpg.5376fc85cef9dab9e2f261f1700c9cf2.jpg

I then used 30thou plasticard for the base. They were cut into 3 inch strips and then poly cemented into the peco platform edges.

IMG_20200526_175447.jpg.7db32bbb4330e3190e706b7fe6ceef0b.jpg

Finally the scale model scenery coping stones were glued in. The centre will eventually be filled with a gravel or sand texture to simulate the platform surface. This section will be under the canopy eventually so I'll not go too heavy. The next board has the platform outside the canopy so I'll go for something more coarse. The second part of the platform will include the Ilfracombe station sign, flowerbeds and telegraph poles as well as the starter signal at the end of the platform.

Cheers 

Pete 

Hi Pete

Your layout is coming on a treat.

Just a point, if you need any part of your station made bespoke then York Modelmaking are excellent, they will make anything for you, all you do is send them a sketch with dimensions and details they do the rest.

They have made many things for me on Haymarket their work is excellent.

Regards

Dasvid

• Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 11:34, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

Your layout is coming on a treat.

Just a point, if you need any part of your station made bespoke then York Modelmaking are excellent, they will make anything for you, all you do is send them a sketch with dimensions and details they do the rest.

They have made many things for me on Haymarket their work is excellent.

Regards

Dasvid

Cheers David I've been debating getting some bits laser cut for some of the buildings on the layout I may have a go at scratch building them first and once my patience runs dry and lots of swearing I might swap to that idea haha. I have also been toying with the idea of 3d printing as I'll need to use that most likely for some of the platform canopy bits. 

Over the last couple of days I've made some more progress with the platforms. I had added more framing for the foundations and realised that having added layers of plaster bandage and clay on top that my station car park was now a good few mm higher than the platforms. This lead to an obvious slope when you added the platform piece between the two.

So I decided to slice off the top of part of the car park and lower the whole thing. This has taken a couple of days of plaster, clay and re adding the kerb stones to get it back to what it was, but this time at the right height that has eliminated the slope. I'll put some more pictures up of the platform later as I'm currently working on it. 

I've also started work on filling the hole in the board. I've glued some pieces of celotex insulation foam together and will be carving it to create the embankment. This morning's work has focused on building the scale model scenery steps kit. 

IMG_20200530_124045.jpg.498d05331c378d61c01c7db9c670645d.jpg

First I cut off a few steps so that they would fit in the space. At this point I hadn't realised the kit gives you two sets and that only one main wall was required woops....

I did a test fit of the steps to ensure the spacing was correct still for the railings. Luckily I had the perfect amount of steps to keep the spacing even.

IMG_20200530_132605.jpg.4a20e12f72aee02f778d70620954b124.jpg

I laid the steps on the side and then added each step so as to make sure it was all square. You can see the holes for the railings on some of the steps.

IMG_20200530_150846.jpg.ecc9036ee7c8786682e68b98922641cb.jpg

The railings were cut to size and glued in then the steps and a few other bits of platform were taken outside for a blast of primer.

Next up I'll give the railings a paint into green and weather the steps a little they will then be added on the celotex insert that I'm working on.

Cheers 

Pete 

• Like 4

Lots done today and I'm really happy with how it's now starting to come together. 

IMG_20200530_183728.jpg.958c12db0604658ac47bef6bcfdcfd0a.jpg

All of the platform framing in ready for the platform face to be stuck down. This section is wider than previous and has to have parts cut out for the stores building to go at the end of the buffer stops and the end of the station building. 

IMG_20200530_180453.jpg.b3599edfbbbf5acdde5e0c8b33fcdc7a.jpg

This shows the the celotex I've been sculpting into shape the angles were a little tricky as I had to follow the slope of the steps and the slope of the car park so slowly I cut bits off and then smoothed it over with sandpaper. The hole is for the steps I made earlier to slot into. This was then all glued to the underside of the board.

IMG_20200530_214554.jpg.577c5422b34195c298c1890256f39c7f.jpg

I've painted the railings green and the station steps are slotted in for the time being as I've yet to building the actual station building. This will allow me some play if my dimensions are out. Tomorrow I'll busy out some more DAS clay and plaster bandages to give a surface for the embankment and join it onto the pavement surfaces already in place. 

IMG_20200530_214624.jpg.043ba8103e3465f731795e88baa53cb8.jpg

The final platform surface is in place with coping stones. The visible framing is where the stores building will be. The lower walls are currently just sat in place as I'm tempted to build it as another removable unit like many of the buildings on the layout. I've also laid some more kerb stones today where the taxi office is on the front edge of the board. I probably don't have space for the full building but will build part of the building in the space available. This view shows it all starting to look very much like Ilfracombe station if I don't say so myself.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 7

15 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Cheers David I've been debating getting some bits laser cut for some of the buildings on the layout I may have a go at scratch building them first and once my patience runs dry and lots of swearing I might swap to that idea haha. I have also been toying with the idea of 3d printing as I'll need to use that most likely for some of the platform canopy bits. 

Over the last couple of days I've made some more progress with the platforms. I had added more framing for the foundations and realised that having added layers of plaster bandage and clay on top that my station car park was now a good few mm higher than the platforms. This lead to an obvious slope when you added the platform piece between the two.

So I decided to slice off the top of part of the car park and lower the whole thing. This has taken a couple of days of plaster, clay and re adding the kerb stones to get it back to what it was, but this time at the right height that has eliminated the slope. I'll put some more pictures up of the platform later as I'm currently working on it. 

I've also started work on filling the hole in the board. I've glued some pieces of celotex insulation foam together and will be carving it to create the embankment. This morning's work has focused on building the scale model scenery steps kit. 

IMG_20200530_124045.jpg.498d05331c378d61c01c7db9c670645d.jpg

First I cut off a few steps so that they would fit in the space. At this point I hadn't realised the kit gives you two sets and that only one main wall was required woops....

I did a test fit of the steps to ensure the spacing was correct still for the railings. Luckily I had the perfect amount of steps to keep the spacing even.

IMG_20200530_132605.jpg.4a20e12f72aee02f778d70620954b124.jpg

I laid the steps on the side and then added each step so as to make sure it was all square. You can see the holes for the railings on some of the steps.

IMG_20200530_150846.jpg.ecc9036ee7c8786682e68b98922641cb.jpg

The railings were cut to size and glued in then the steps and a few other bits of platform were taken outside for a blast of primer.

Next up I'll give the railings a paint into green and weather the steps a little they will then be added on the celotex insert that I'm working on.

Cheers 

Pete 

Hi Pete

The steps look very impressive, were they a laser cut kit or did you make them yourself.

York Modelmaking do all sorts of detailing for railway modellers, they have a great selection of doors' windows and station canopies.

As I have already said they will also make any bespoke items just giver them the details and sizes.

I was in exactly the same position as you, I tries to build my shed walls using Balsa Wood, a real frustrating disaster, I then got York Modelmaking to make them up out of 3mm thick laser cut MDF, I doubled up the walls to 6mm in thickness for extra strength.

What ever you do good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress..

Regards

David 

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

The steps look very impressive, were they a laser cut kit or did you make them yourself.

York Modelmaking do all sorts of detailing for railway modellers, they have a great selection of doors' windows and station canopies.

As I have already said they will also make any bespoke items just giver them the details and sizes.

I was in exactly the same position as you, I tries to build my shed walls using Balsa Wood, a real frustrating disaster, I then got York Modelmaking to make them up out of 3mm thick laser cut MDF, I doubled up the walls to 6mm in thickness for extra strength.

What ever you do good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress..

Regards

David 

The stairs are a laser cut scale model scenery kit. They are called something like harbour / station steps will be useful for all sorts however. If you don't mind me asking was it expensive to get something the size of the shed done ? Sounds like you had them do the CAD design work so I believe they add that to the cost? 

Cheers 

Pete

5 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

The stairs are a laser cut scale model scenery kit. They are called something like harbour / station steps will be useful for all sorts however. If you don't mind me asking was it expensive to get something the size of the shed done ? Sounds like you had them do the CAD design work so I believe they add that to the cost? 

Cheers 

Pete

Hi Pete

It was about six years ago I had the shed walls made, there were eight as I doubled them up and to be honest I cannot remember the cost but a sum of around £100 comes to mind but not definite.

I sent them a sketch with all the dimensions on so there were no cad costs, only manufacture and Postage.

They are very helpful and reasonable, they will always come back with a quotation for you.

They have an excellent website.

Regards

David

6 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

It was about six years ago I had the shed walls made, there were eight as I doubled them up and to be honest I cannot remember the cost but a sum of around £100 comes to mind but not definite.

I sent them a sketch with all the dimensions on so there were no cad costs, only manufacture and Postage.

They are very helpful and reasonable, they will always come back with a quotation for you.

They have an excellent website.

Regards

David

Cheers David I might make an enquiry I think they would be really useful for when I build the goods shed. I guess I could pretty much get an entire kit for it laser cut. Windows like you say will also be handy.

First off today I used newspaper card and masking tape to fill in some of the gaps between the edges and the celotex insert I had made. This also meant that the staircase now had something to properly attach to.

Today I had a little help from my girlfriend. She used the plaster bandages to give a nice smooth surface on the embankment. Once this had dried solid I filled in the gaps and reinstated the pavement with some more DAS clay. I also added some more coffee grounds to the areas which would have grass added. 

Finally I gave the paving a spray of grey primer, tomorrow I'll re add the sand to the car park floor and will continue work on the embankment. 

IMG_20200531_190022.jpg.9b552c76533b9c13f516780a61d6e45f.jpg

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Although it's been over week since I last posted I have been busy. Mainly speaking to @chrisf about GWR coaching stock and formations for the line. He's been a massive help and his knowledge has been invaluable. I'm now starting to collect some more GWR stock as well as LMS stock so that I can recreate some of the more interesting Saturday services. I've also been renumbering and sound fitting some more locos which has been a nice change from scenics.

IMG_20200609_233502.jpg.c7570fda7a5dd02e9317ddb337c888cc.jpg

The embankment was painted brown. Had dried coffee granules glued on as a dirt layer and then had a couple of passes with 2mm and 4mm static grass held in place with cheap hair spray.

IMG_20200609_233519.jpg.c3e5a89ffdf2ae58d327d6fe6dbed28c.jpg

The sidings also had the same treatment but after static grassing I thought I'd overdone it a bit. I therefore got some strips of plaster bandage and wrinkled them up and stuck them to the sheer faces to recreate a clay rock face. A grey colour was then dry brushed to show the texture. A couple of bushes an maybe some 6mm fibres and this area will be done. 

IMG_20200609_233612.jpg.d8f4228bf8207054eed9f377a0596f64.jpg

Tonight I've been drawing up my designs firstly for the wind break. This was put in place to give the platform area towards the station buildings more protection from the elements. I've designed this from multiple photos I have and the space allowed. The real one had two extra single windowed panels on each of the ends and would have been a bit longer but I think it should fit in nicely with the scale station plans. 

IMG_20200609_233525.jpg.259eb0ea6bdc10f1f12648c73bf7c5f6.jpg

I also drew up the designs for the station stores building this was built out of concrete blocks with two doors platform side and two on the yard side. 

IMG_20200609_233620.jpg.a86647ae2afd5634ac9a93a16212ecee.jpg

With most of the buildings mocked up you can see now what it might start to look like. I've still got to design the taxi building that goes to the right of the station building and will fit in the corner. The canopy will also needed to be added along the length of the platforms on this board. 

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

looks like its been a while since I've posted but fear not I have been making progress all be it in other avenues. With the weather being either boiling or stormy recently its meant there have been few opportunities to get the board out in the garden to finish of some bits of painting however one morning I was able to get the airbrush out and work on the carriage siding colours and there is now some more variation in tones. This has also meant that I have spent a lot more of my time recently renumber and chipping my locos some of which can be seen on my other thread. 

IMG_20200701_183249.jpg.00e543f811fe88b04e65c16ecb678789.jpg

I have made a start on the first part of the station canopy by joining together so far three of the six Dapol kits the roofs are yet to be attached as they need to be painted first and glazing attached. I have another three kits to go which will just be joined onto the ends.

IMG_20200701_183327.jpg.08eefd02d2d98ebb73d1c00aa34d6fb8.jpgI won't however be using the crossbeams or the columns that come with the kit and instead have been designing alternative ones that will be produced by 3D printing, There is two distinct types the first being square beams with rivets these seem to be on further end of the canopy then they change to thinner beams with a zig-zag cross bracing on them the closer you get to the station entrance. Due to me modifying the the Dapol kit I have designed these to slot into the frames therefore I need some double width ones for where one kit joins onto another. Therefore I need to get overall 4 different types made. They were drawn out on Sketchup online free and were then made into models ready for printing on makeprintable.com this ensures they are "watertight" and suitable for a 3d printer to print without you ending up with a mess. I have then gone to 3dprint UK who will print them from SLS material. This is my first attempt at anything like this so fingers crossed.  

I have also been in  contact with York Modelmaking after @landscapes suggestion and am in the process of them making me some lasercut windows and doors for the station and stores building. These should be with me in the next couple of days which is great as I have already made a start on the stores building as you can see, This is made out of wills concrete blocks plasticard as well as various thickness plain plasticard and the doors have are slaters wooden planks which look way too big for 4mm scale wooden flooring but I think look good as doors. Once I have made some more progress I will show you some more detailed shots of the building as it has a few features that have made it an interesting build. 

IMG_20200701_183257.jpg.9174046bbd60e07f34a525a258b09de2.jpg

I have also been designing the station wind break on an open source CAD program called LibreCad and have then been able to send off the design to the same people who will hopefully be able to cut out all the parts for me to then assemble as a kit.  

Finally I have also mocked up the station taxi building for the corner I don't have space for the entire building but will squeeze as much of it in as possible.  

IMG_20200701_183301.jpg.6a573884a3c81c830de57569ed2dd109.jpg

So yeah, I have been busy and although there isn't much progress on the boards themselves things are steadily moving along. I am now waiting for all of the bits I've designed to be produced and arrive and then I can continue to make some more serious progress. 

Thanks again 

Pete 

Edited by PeteN92
image restore
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Pete brilliant progress and if you haven’t done sketch up or CAD before that took a while I know as I have had a play with Tinkercad and not found it that easy!

The mentions of 3D printing sites will be helpful for me also so I’ll have a gander at those.

As you say not huge baseboard progress but in the background much effort I can see.

Nice work.

Cheers 

Ade

9 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

looks like its been a while since I've posted but fear not I have been making progress all be it in other avenues. With the weather being either boiling or stormy recently its meant there have been few opportunities to get the board out in the garden to finish of some bits of painting however one morning I was able to get the airbrush out and work on the carriage siding colours and there is now some more variation in tones. This has also meant that I have spent a lot more of my time recently renumber and chipping my locos some of which can be seen on my other thread. 

IMG_20200701_183249.jpg.d6c0479385419f6b1c362262f8874371.jpg

I have made a start on the first part of the station canopy by joining together so far three of the six Dapol kits the roofs are yet to be attached as they need to be painted first and glazing attached. I have another three kits to go which will just be joined onto the ends.

IMG_20200701_183327.jpg.c5726c4ebaa0f36fd451cd00b8441973.jpg

I won't however be using the crossbeams or the columns that come with the kit and instead have been designing alternative ones that will be produced by 3D printing, There is two distinct types the first being square beams with rivets these seem to be on further end of the canopy then they change to thinner beams with a zig-zag cross bracing on them the closer you get to the station entrance. Due to me modifying the the Dapol kit I have designed these to slot into the frames therefore I need some double width ones for where one kit joins onto another. Therefore I need to get overall 4 different types made. They were drawn out on Sketchup online free and were then made into models ready for printing on makeprintable.com this ensures they are "watertight" and suitable for a 3d printer to print without you ending up with a mess. I have then gone to 3dprint UK who will print them from SLS material. This is my first attempt at anything like this so fingers crossed.  

125150850_2020-07-01(2).png.66c73e49b40b0428a2653461c634aa30.png

1061672369_2020-07-01(3).png.7e8f775bab6b8d020e9652a788357a50.png

I have also been in  contact with York Modelmaking after @landscapes suggestion and am in the process of them making me some lasercut windows and doors for the station and stores building. These should be with me in the next couple of days which is great as I have already made a start on the stores building as you can see, This is made out of wills concrete blocks plasticard as well as various thickness plain plasticard and the doors have are slaters wooden planks which look way too big for 4mm scale wooden flooring but I think look good as doors. Once I have made some more progress I will show you some more detailed shots of the building as it has a few features that have made it an interesting build. 

IMG_20200701_183257.jpg.f6f8cfc6f663dd188cb9484f8e70654c.jpg

I have also been designing the station wind break on an open source CAD program called LibreCad and have then been able to send off the design to the same people who will hopefully be able to cut out all the parts for me to then assemble as a kit.  

2020-07-01.png.6150d1ebf962ac3fc5e82051a7f50eae.png

Finally I have also mocked up the station taxi building for the corner I don't have space for the entire building but will squeeze as much of it in as possible.  

IMG_20200701_183301.jpg.1006d73687da80ed0829f47c8cd616aa.jpg

So yeah, I have been busy and although there isn't much progress on the boards themselves things are steadily moving along. I am now waiting for all of the bits I've designed to be produced and arrive and then I can continue to make some more serious progress. 

Thanks again 

Pete 

Hi Pete 

Looking very good indeed, glad you was able to use York Modelmaking they are very good.

Going to contact them my self for some Rain Water Pipes I need for the main shed.

There is nothing  near the size I need is available on the market.

Regards

David

The passenger luggage store was constructed of concrete blocks and asbestos roofing when the station was extended in the late 1920s this made unloading of busy holiday trains much easier for platform staff. 

IMG_20200704_184228__01-min.jpg.8cf3a9be9831e13fba56efd3efacc0fe.jpg

The foundations for the store were also built by concrete blocks and the buffer stops at the end of the platform and the goods reception siding were built into these foundations as can be seen in this photo. 

IMG_20200704_184303-min.jpg.166e47c8db4e0b54592689834b7437ba.jpg

I therefore decided to start with some spare peco platform edge and cut the slots into it where the buffer stops needed to go. I then used wills concrete block sheets to add the blocks in between the slots. This was then added onto the rest of the plasticard base for the store and given a spray of grey primer.

IMG_20200703_172530-min.jpg.91f6e49e43a4ab41cffc9f9c4ac5de36.jpg

York model makers have produced the windows for me by enlarging one of their designs that they offer. These have an edge around them to make them easier to fit.

IMG_20200703_172711-min.jpg.f9fc5af8c8899896ef3890795b889683.jpg

Glue n glaze will be used to glaze each window to get a flush finish. 

Currently it's just held together with black tack while I continue to paint and glaze the building here are a few shots. 

IMG_20200703_172551-min.jpg.cd4a62f9805e3c1d212ecd99dbc670e8.jpg

From the platform which will eventually be under a canopy.

IMG_20200703_172614-min.jpg.4ba8f016f8c2c78e4ddc643f9cb2a216.jpg

From the taxi building across the forecourt.

IMG_20200703_172500-min.jpg.e89115a2596f47b100704c4701aa5bf0.jpgEnd of the line at the buffer stops.

IMG_20200704_141228-min.jpg.9069af0a6fa260adac90f3bfd7bde180.jpg

Today I've  begun to mock up the roof of the building out of card. I will also make this out of various plasticard. 

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Marvellous Pete, I got tipped off about those wills concrete blocks on my thread for the loco shed they are actually very convincing, and you have done a lovely job with them here.

Cheers 

Ade

On 04/07/2020 at 19:16, PeteN92 said:

The passenger luggage store was constructed of concrete blocks and asbestos roofing when the station was extended in the late 1920s this made unloading of busy holiday trains much easier for platform staff. 

IMG_20200704_184228__01-min.jpg.8cf3a9be9831e13fba56efd3efacc0fe.jpg

The foundations for the store were also built by concrete blocks and the buffer stops at the end of the platform and the goods reception siding were built into these foundations as can be seen in this photo. 

IMG_20200704_184303-min.jpg.166e47c8db4e0b54592689834b7437ba.jpg

I therefore decided to start with some spare peco platform edge and cut the slots into it where the buffer stops needed to go. I then used wills concrete block sheets to add the blocks in between the slots. This was then added onto the rest of the plasticard base for the store and given a spray of grey primer.

IMG_20200703_172530-min.jpg.91f6e49e43a4ab41cffc9f9c4ac5de36.jpg

York model makers have produced the windows for me by enlarging one of their designs that they offer. These have an edge around them to make them easier to fit.

IMG_20200703_172711-min.jpg.f9fc5af8c8899896ef3890795b889683.jpg

Glue n glaze will be used to glaze each window to get a flush finish. 

Currently it's just held together with black tack while I continue to paint and glaze the building here are a few shots. 

IMG_20200703_172551-min.jpg.cd4a62f9805e3c1d212ecd99dbc670e8.jpg

From the platform which will eventually be under a canopy.

IMG_20200703_172614-min.jpg.4ba8f016f8c2c78e4ddc643f9cb2a216.jpg

From the taxi building across the forecourt.

IMG_20200703_172500-min.jpg.e89115a2596f47b100704c4701aa5bf0.jpgEnd of the line at the buffer stops.

IMG_20200704_141228-min.jpg.9069af0a6fa260adac90f3bfd7bde180.jpg

Today I've  begun to mock up the roof of the building out of card. I will also make this out of various plasticard. 

Cheers 

Pete

Looking great Pete.

I think it’s Slaters do a nice roof tile sheet.

easy to cut out and shape, I have used it quite a lot on Haymarket 

But not 100% whose it is asI haven’t ordered for some time.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing a unrebuilt Pacific at the buffer stops in time.

Regards

David

• 1 month later...

Although I have returned to work and the station board has returned to my parents house I have continued on with the layout.

I received my 3d printed canopy columns a while back and have continued with bodging the Dapol canopy kits together.

IMG_20200818_122347.jpg.b201ffd700d3413802ee44d978888b8c.jpg

This is full length canopy that should take me all the way along the platform to the stores shed. I'll probably have to scratch build something to fit the space over the main concourse. It now needs painting before assembling the roof and adding the glazing. 

IMG_20200816_100701.jpg.dedf39c882caf6bb03e40b18406e6e74.jpg

Speaking of painting the columns had a blast of primer then Halfords ford meadow green and await being fixed to the rest of the canopy assembly.

IMG_20200818_145110__01.jpg.5e4a5f333387473b049f1a6d8a41af11.jpg

As described before there are two distinct pillar designs on this part of the canopy I've tried to replicate.

IMG_20200818_145058.jpg.d8645d17086a6b22738601d3730cc9e3.jpg

I managed to book a short trip away to Cornwall the other week with the girlfriend. What a nice experience to get away. On the way back I managed to convince her to a detour via Ilfracombe and although it was a miserable day I got some good reference photos...

IMG_20200805_141253.jpg.1ead7d0289357ff516f0e35d43850480.jpg

The fixed distant has recently been reinstalled and is even fitted with a solar panel to illuminate the lamp. 

IMG_20200805_140947.jpg.1a1dc9b5c9902ba887eebeaca8ea4f6e.jpg

The slade tunnel portals that I will be replicating for the fiddle yard entrance/exit. 

IMG_20200805_134730.jpg.14c2e3bb2c6074457c7e7c3849a5d57e.jpg

Original SR concrete cast fencing from Exmouth junction.

IMG_20200805_143548.jpg.4f39089161d31d8c94e4686986560372.jpg

Sr unclimbable fencing at the bottom of the stairs leading to the station which even had some of the original paint on.

IMG_20200805_140138.jpg.4a86da584414a860948ea236ff264947.jpg

Ballast bin 

IMG_20200805_140624.jpg.15b3a5fae66e46b80500415e926c2d01.jpg

Pway hut looking a bit sorry for itself.

I might have got rather soaked through but was happy to get another feel for the place aswell as get some handy photos. 

Cheers 

Pete

Edited by PeteN92
  • Like 10