GWR wagon number plates and Coopercraft kits

I am referring to the rectangular plates for (a) wagon numbers and (b) "G.W.R" ownership which were fitted to some new builds in the period circa 1895 to circa 1900.  Another local S7 modeller and I are doing prototype research into the subject, accompanied by trials with etching of 7mm plates, for a couple of S7 layouts that are being built by us. To date we have searched through circa 30 books likely to feature photographs of wagons of the period and I have created a spreadsheet of the results.

At this point I wish for some help from RMWeb-ers.

Coopercraft (now Slaters) kits for GWR wagons include some mouldings of the rectangular plates in some of the kits, if you have any of these kits and can find the moulded plates then I shall be interested to know:-

a) what kit in what scale?;
b) what GWR wagon diagram?;
c) what numbers are provided?.

thank you, Graham

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Western Star said:

I am referring to the rectangular plates for (a) wagon numbers and (b) "G.W.R" ownership which were fitted to some new builds in the period circa 1895 to circa 1900. 
c) what numbers are provided?.

Later. As far as I can make out, they were standard on diagram O4 as built 1901-1904 (i.e. before the adoption of 25" G W lettering) - certainly I've seen quite a few Edwardian era photos where these wagons clearly have plates.

As mentioned, in 4 mm scale it's the diagram O5 4-plank wagon that has the plates. The numbers are 10070, 1460, and 781. I chopped these around a bit to make 71460, good for a pre-O4 4-plank wagon, and 11070, a V6 iron mink of 1899 vintage - the latter by scraping off a 0 and making a 1 from microstrip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going on about the Coopercraft plates a bit more, the leading 7 is quite useful as the 70xxx - 74xxx range of wagon numbers coincided with the "plate" period; it's unfortunate that numbers in the 78xxx range are just a bit too late.