Northampton Ironstone Railway

I have recently moved to Northampton and last week paid a visit to the site of the old ironstone railway at Hunsbury Hill, just a mile or so away from where I live. I've seen a few references to it on RMweb. The Trust keep a small museum going there and their website has a photo of the old track plan. I thought it would make a good modelling subject - has anyone tackled it?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rod, 

On the subject of your question, it would probably make a very interesting model. Given the circular nature of it's track, no-one could tell you that have a roundy-roundy layout wasn't prototypical! 

However, I'm not entirely sure that it should be in the Pre-Grouping section - can @AY Mod move it to Industrial area please? 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I like these railways.  I once planned to include one feeding LNW-GN Joint in Leicestershire. I assume that you have the relevant Eric Tonks volume, which would seem essential reading.

I haven't read anything about it at all apart from what's on the NIRT website. I was wondering more whether anyone else had modelled it. I should think doing something reasonably accurate, assuming there was enough prototype information, would take a lot of time and skill. I have the time but not the skill or (probably) the patience!

Still, you never know.