Booking Hall

Far Wittering - inspiration from a 1984 Railway Modeller

I'm with you on this one! That looks like an excellent choice. Unusual concrete base adds interest.

Steve W

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Well, that's the replacement water tower finished!

140.JPG

141.JPG

143.JPG

Edited by Booking Hall
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

That is really looking the part.  The valve operating arrangement sets it off superbly, What have you used for the filling 'bag'?

steve W

Thanks Steve. The 'bag' is simply a tube rolled up from kitchen foil and painted with acrylics!

• Informative/Useful 2

Sorry it's been a while since the last update, I got distracted assembling and detailing a parcels train for the club layout which was going to an exhibition, then holidays got in the way and finally I've made a start on a sewage works for another of the club's layouts.

But I have progressed 'Far Wittering' a little. I stuck down the platform and loading dock modules and made a start on the ballasting. I didn't get far with it before wondering whether or not to add some point rodding and a signal or two. I never intended this to be a highly detailed layout, in fact, as you will know if you've read from the start, I never intended to build this layout at all! But, I couldn't help myself, and so an order was placed for some whitemetal point rodding stools, etched brass cranks and other whatnot's and a small lever frame. This is the state of play at the moment. The stools have been cut down in length and glued to 'sleepers' and await painting. There will be two main point rodding runs to the main 'Y' points at each end of the loop, and a short run to the turnout giving access to the goods platform/coaling stage road. The remaining turnouts will have hand levers adjacent to them. A single signal will act as a starter from the loop to the fiddle yard with a further signal (an ancient looking crossbar type, yet to be built) controlling the road crossing. This will have its own separate lever.

Once I get these in place ballasting can re-commence.

002.JPG

• Like 2

Jobs like this are tedious but the effort will be repaid as details like this add so much to any layout.

Cheers, Ade.

• Agree 1

That's all looking very good Booking Hall, it does look fiddly but the point rodding will be worth it once it's done. One question, is there a thread of your Weydon Priors layout anywhere? I noticed it in the background of some earlier photo's, it looks another nice layout.

Steve.

On 05/09/2019 at 19:07, Adrian Stevenson said:

Jobs like this are tedious but the effort will be repaid as details like this add so much to any layout.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the encouragement Ade, taking it slowly and it's actually (sort of) enjoyable!

On 06/09/2019 at 05:07, sb67 said:

That's all looking very good Booking Hall, it does look fiddly but the point rodding will be worth it once it's done. One question, is there a thread of your Weydon Priors layout anywhere? I noticed it in the background of some earlier photo's, it looks another nice layout.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, yes, it will add something to the layout. If I hadn't done it I know I would have regretted it! Sorry, no; I didn't document the building of 'Weydon-Priors'. I assume you saw the feature on it in 'Model Rail'?