Pressfix bad batch? UPDATE REPLY FROM HMRS

• RMweb Gold

I used pressfix for the first time yesterday evening to change the livery on my 64xx and afterwards noticed the red drop shadow is at the top instead of the bottom and if you look at the 'T' the adhesive appears to be off too

Could this just be a dodgy batch or are they all like this?IMG_1420.jpg.658782c92720ce17c5ada070cd492e50.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

Edited by chuffinghell

I have just checked a fairly old unused sheet that has the red shadow immediately behind the lettering vertically and offset ok horizontally on GREAT WESTERN. However, the GWR has the red shadow above, so there appear to be problems in the printing process. Locos that I lettered over twenty years ago are correct. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I can't comment on the shading (although it looks different to other examples I've just googled) but the adhesive halo is something you do get with these sheets.  Take it off gently with white spirit on a cotton bud and it will disappear.  There is a problem with variable quality - I suggest you let the Transfers Steward know.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

I have just checked a fairly old unused sheet that has the red shadow immediately behind the lettering vertically and offset ok horizontally on GREAT WESTERN. However, the GWR has the red shadow above, so there appear to be problems in the printing process. Locos that I lettered over twenty years ago are correct. 

13 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I can't comment on the shading (although it looks different to other examples I've just googled) but the adhesive halo is something you do get with these sheets.  Take it off gently with white spirit on a cotton bud and it will disappear.  There is a problem with variable quality - I suggest you let the Transfers Steward know.

Thanks for your replies, I suspected they were wrong, I also googled examples.

I've ordered another sheet as a comparison but if those are wrong too I'll just return them.

I've used pressfix as a last resort, I've use methfix in the past but they are just too messy and I can't seem to get waterslides right either......it serves me right for opting for GWR

I'm thinking I should just give up on the hobby, I'm not skilled enough to continue

I use Pressfix routinely and have resigned myself to coping with the adhesive film that sometimes, but not always, surrounds letters and numbers. It can be extremely difficult to remove without leaving a nasty smear, but gently piling it up with a sharpened wooden cocktail stick generally does the job and I then give the remaining image a gentle wipe over with Tesco’s shower cleaner. I have found white spirit - and other solvents - a risky business in the past. A flash of Dullcote followed by a thin wash of Klear to lift any dullness out of the colour then does the trick.

tony

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 11:10, Prometheus said:

I use Pressfix routinely and have resigned myself to coping with the adhesive film that sometimes, but not always, surrounds letters and numbers. It can be extremely difficult to remove without leaving a nasty smear, but gently piling it up with a sharpened wooden cocktail stick generally does the job and I then give the remaining image a gentle wipe over with Tesco’s shower cleaner. I have found white spirit - and other solvents - a risky business in the past. A flash of Dullcote followed by a thin wash of Klear to lift any dullness out of the colour then does the trick.

tony

Thank you

I'm more concerned about the apparent misprinting, I'm hoping its a one-off and the new set I've ordered is printed correctly. I've also found an old set on Ebay branded as PC so I might give those a try too?

I'd read on the srmg website about the use of Tesco shower cleaner on a superbly reworked Hornby open cab pannier, the pressfix used on that particular model appear to be printed correctly

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
spelling errors corrected

• RMweb Gold

While I’m waiting for a new set to arrive I’ve applied modelmasters water slide and I’m going to attempt the carrier removal trick (after leaving for 48hrs)

doesnt matter if it doesn’t work, just thought I’d give it a try......”he who dares wins Rodney”

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well my replacement transfers arrived and they are the same as the last lot

The red shadow should be to the left (as per the image on their website but they have arrived with it above

I've bought an old PC set of Ebay in the hope the older version was printed correctly

It's a shame because I really liked HMRS transfers so it's quite disapointing

B8455003-D67C-4207-BAF5-BCE0BEA19DEE.jpeg

D3104581-0541-415C-BF5C-333B94AD87FD.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
spelling error corrected
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had the following email reply from HMRS

Hello Chris

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have checked out both pressfix and methfix stock and its looks like, with some variation, to be a common fault on both classes of transfer. You probably therefor not want to have a replacement and Kernow should refund your money.

Having just taken over this role I cannot say how old the stock is, but I must say that at the moment it is unlikely that we will be reprinting them for some time, at which time I will have the error corrected.

I am sorry for the I inconvenience this has caused.

Kind regards

Martin

so I'm a bit stuck because I'm useless at using water slide transfers

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I do agree with that statement.

Although it wasn't the response I hoped for I can not fault their quick and honest reply

HMRS is run by volunteers so I appreciate that it's probably out of their control and too costly for them to have another batch made until they have depleted their current stock

I've not given up hope entirely though as I've bought an old PC set off eBay so fingers crossed 

Chris 

Edited by chuffinghell

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I've had the following email reply from HMRS

so I'm a bit stuck because I'm useless at using water slide transfers

Decent quality waterslides should be relatively simple to use - you need to let it float on the water for just long enough for it to become separate from the backing without it floating away or curling up. You do need a gloss surface for them as they will not work well on a matt surface. Leave a day at least to dry  and apply a protective coating over. Humbrol Clear is usually the best to use (which is I understand the old formula Johnsons floor polish which was recommended for such puprposes)

• Agree 1

Yes I too have had some good servce from HMRS.  About twleve months ago the sheet I wanted was out of stock.  They would email me when they had supplies - and almost six months went by and I did receive an email.

This leads me on to say that I was after BR cab side numbers and bought water slide from Railtec.  I have been very impressed, easy to use, look good with minimal 'flash' around the numbers.

Cheers Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Decent quality waterslides should be relatively simple to use - you need to let it float on the water for just long enough for it to become separate from the backing without it floating away or curling up. You do need a gloss surface for them as they will not work well on a matt surface. Leave a day at least to dry  and apply a protective coating over. Humbrol Clear is usually the best to use (which is I understand the old formula Johnsons floor polish which was recommended for such puprposes)

I've tried to use that technique and failed with fox transfers (maybe says more about my lack of ability than the quality of the transfer) but I don't have these issues with Railtec

However being stubborn I'll do some experimentation on a bit of plasticard until I get it right

I've actually got some Johnsons Kleer

Edited by chuffinghell
correction of multiple spelling errors

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

.... but not addressing the fundamental error !

HMRS' supplier printed a misaligned batch of transfers - so HMRS should be able to reject them, and insist that the supplier provides a batch that is correct.

Are the HMRS really going to sell a batch of transfers that are known to be sub-standard?

Just because they are volunteers doesn't negate their responsibility as retailers, (or their rights as customers of their supplier).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I didn't want to come across as moaning excessively, I was also trying to be diplomatic

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

This leads me on to say that I was after BR cab side numbers and bought water slide from Railtec.  I have been very impressed, easy to use, look good with minimal 'flash' around the numbers.

Cheers Ray

Railtec are my favorite transfers, they are the only water-slide transfers I'd don't have problems with unfortunately "GREAT WESTERN" lettering is yet to be part of their range

Chris  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It's a shame, as the PC originals were much more reliable

I've ordered a PC set of eBay so fingers crossed they are correct......oh and still 'sticky'

3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

PS. Before there is any suggestion that I am 'knocking' a rival supplier of transfers - little of my range directly competes with the HMRS products, and I would be the first to congratulate them if their transfers could return to their former quality.

I would like to think that no one on here would suggest that John

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I've tried to use that technique and failed with fox transfers (maybe says more about my lack of ability than the quality of the transfer) but I don't have these issues with Railtec

Seem to recall Fox were advising a drop of washing up liquid in the water - if you have any left have a look at their web site for any advice.

• Informative/Useful 1

The issue of the quality (and availability) of the transfers has been debated in the HMRS for some time.  The printing process and paper for the current range are becoming hard to find and expensive. 

I wouldn't worry too much if you've had problems with Fox - I find them horribly fragile and treat them as a bit of a last resort.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

However being stubborn I'll do some experimentation on a bit of plasticard until I get it right

I've actually got some Johnsons Kleer

For the waterslide type, you also need some transfer solvent to make them lie down over the detail. I use Microsol, which is a relatively aggressive kind of solvent. With Fox transfers, wetting the surface with Microset (the less-aggressive variety of the solvent) sometimes helps; but put it on the model before transferring, not on the transfer, or it will increase the risk of breaking up.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

The issue of the quality (and availability) of the transfers has been debated in the HMRS for some time.  The printing process and paper for the current range are becoming hard to find and expensive. 

I wouldn't worry too much if you've had problems with Fox - I find them horribly fragile and treat them as a bit of a last resort.

I find the carrier breaks up and crumbles with Fox transfers

• Informative/Useful 1