Pressfix bad batch? UPDATE REPLY FROM HMRS

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Guy Rixon said:

For the waterslide type, you also need some transfer solvent to make them lie down over the detail. I use Microsol, which is a relatively aggressive kind of solvent. With Fox transfers, wetting the surface with Microset (the less-aggressive variety of the solvent) sometimes helps; but put it on the model before transferring, not on the transfer, or it will increase the risk of breaking up.

Ive used microset/sol with modelmasters transfers when I  renumbered a load of wagons without any issues

however, I didn’t think fox recommended microsol/set so I didn’t even try to be honest

Edited by chuffinghell

I feel I need to add a picture!

43380716574_1ecb4f8217_b.jpg

Used to be Sir Nigel Gresley - Railtech cabside numbers, Kings X Plates, Fox Springbok and Plaques, 247 shed plate and Smiths screw link coupling, oh and Pressfix overhead warning plates.  Take your pick - there has not been any subsequent covering of varnish or fixer - I just don't touch the transfers.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 09:31, Killybegs said:

I have just checked a fairly old unused sheet that has the red shadow immediately behind the lettering vertically and offset ok horizontally on GREAT WESTERN. However, the GWR has the red shadow above, so there appear to be problems in the printing process. Locos that I lettered over twenty years ago are correct. 

My new 'old' set of PC Models pressfix transfers arrived today (eBay purchase) the difference in quality just proves that they don’t make things like they used to

Printing position is better, although I'm still sure the red should be bottom left?

Still better than the current offering and not bad considering they are nearly as old as me

212A0C63-5E4D-4C58-8735-328C95AC40F1.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 11:10, Prometheus said:

..............gently piling it up with a sharpened wooden cocktail stick generally does the job and I then give the remaining image a gentle wipe over with Tesco’s shower cleaner.........

Tony

I've managed to get some Tesco daily shower cleaner (other brands available) is there a given length of time I should wait before attempting to remove the surplus gum?

Although I've noticed the older PC models transfers leave a lot less residue than the newer HMRS transfers

Chris 

Edited by chuffinghell

You are correct re. the older PC transfers. Far less messy residue. I use the shower cleaner simply because it is non-solvent and so does not attack anything. It won’t temove any residue attached to the transfer but I have found it quite useful in removing the greasy smudge sometimes left after chasing piles of sticky residue around the coach side. It can be applied quite soon after application (in my general experience), spray some onto a clean handkerchief and gently wipe the mess away. Sometimes considerable persistence is required!

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2019 at 14:25, chuffinghell said:

I've ordered a PC set of eBay so fingers crossed they are correct......oh and still 'sticky'

The technique I have always used with Methfix, which I much prefer, and Pressfix when they have lost their 'sticky', is to treat them as waterslide. Float them into place and let them dry. Then very gently brush meths over them.  Just small amounts, don't overload the brush, ( I only ever use pure sable). Too much and they can bubble up or float around and you have to re-apply water again.  When dry lightly brush (or spray - which again I prefer since it won't 'pull' at the decals) your favourite sealer/varnish over them.

I would agree that many present day transfers don't have the absolute clarity and definition of those of the past. This is down to changing printing techniques and materials which may be safer to manufacture/use but don't give the same results in many cases. No easy answer really, just to make the best of what exists.

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Izzy said:

The technique I have always used with Methfix, which I much prefer, and Pressfix when they have lost their 'sticky', is to treat them as waterslide. Float them into place and let them dry. Then very gently brush meths over them.  Just small amounts, don't overload the brush, ( I only ever use pure sable). Too much and they can bubble up or float around and you have to re-apply water again.  When dry lightly brush (or spray - which again I prefer since it won't 'pull' at the decals) your favourite sealer/varnish over them.

I would agree that many present day transfers don't have the absolute clarity and definition of those of the past. This is down to changing printing techniques and materials which may be safer to manufacture/use but don't give the same results in many cases. No easy answer really, just to make the best of what exists.

Izzy

Thank you for the tip, fortunately in this case the old PC models pressfix tranfers I'd acquired had retained their stickyness and had also been printed correctly

Chris 

I don't know if this is available in the UK but for damaged, old or thin water-slide decals I've used the Testors decal bonder spray which comes in a 3 oz. can. It is part of their decal system which includes clear and white finish deal paper for use in inkjet printers. I've had success with old and cracked 1950's & 1960's model kit decals and for spraying on to decals made with an ALPS printer which can be a bit thin as well as my own home made decals.

Dave R.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Prometheus said:

......It won’t temove any residue attached to the transfer but I have found it quite useful in removing the greasy smudge sometimes left after chasing piles of sticky residue around the coach side......

Vodka works too.....don’t ask 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Prometheus said:

You also clean your showers with vodka?!!!

tony

Doesnt everyone? :laugh_mini:

I did a little research on alternative glue residue removers and two suggestions came up, WD40 (which I knew about) and another was vodka

WKD was fine. A bit chemical I suppose but the orange one was IRN BRU and vodka, whilst the others were fruit flavoured.

Used to be great on a night out when they used to sell them for about 50p a bottle in nightclubs. A bit sickly after a couple of them though.  :bo_mini: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKD_Original_Vodka

I hasten to add this was twenty odd years ago. I don't tend to end up staying out all night in clubs anymore.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Getting back to Pressfix transfers. I had a look earlier and found some 1970s or early 1980s ones in the draw. Must be from that time as it was when my dad repainted a Hornby Dublo R1 into Southern Bulleid livery from BR livery.

I'll try and have a check to see if they still work. I would have thought they were only fit for the bin, but I might get some use out of them.

Jason

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Getting back to Pressfix transfers. I had a look earlier and found some 1970s or early 1980s ones in the draw. Must be from that time as it was when my dad repainted a Hornby Dublo R1 into Southern Bulleid livery from BR livery.

I'll try and have a check to see if they still work. I would have thought they were only fit for the bin, but I might get some use out of them.

Jason

I have read that you can treat Pressfix as Methfix for fixing down. I haven't bothered personally so far.

The HMRS LNER lettering and lining has been poor to very poor for a long time , older PC sheets are much much better quality. I complained to the HMRS transfer man who was rude in the extreme at the time, I haven't bothered since . Ostriches and sand spring to mind.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micklner said:

...........I complained to the HMRS transfer man who was rude in the extreme at the time, I haven't bothered since . Ostriches and sand spring to mind.

Not good!

The chap I received a email from wasn't rude, although the reply wasn't what I wanted to hear

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, micklner said:

That was about 7 or 8 years ago hopefully the staff have changed since then.:rolleyes:

It looks like the staff has changed but it doesn’t look like the problems will be addressed any time soon unfortunately

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I just realised I have a sheet of HMRS GWR loco transfers (strangely methfix when all my others are pressfix, but oh well), looks like I'm going to have to sacrifice some GWR letters to check them. They are quite a few years old and I can't even remember where I got them from so no chance of any refund now. 

• RMweb Gold

It's all gone a bit pear shaped

I just couldn't seem to get the transfer right on the opposite side and ended up running out of transfers and I also managed to damage the handrail (I think I can repair it though)

I don't like to but I will have to admit defeat, however, I've decided to send the loco off to Steve at Grimy Times for the livery change and weathering

If at first you don't succeed - try many, many times then give up and leave it to the professionals 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 22/02/2019 at 12:55, chuffinghell said:

It's all gone a bit pear shaped

I just couldn't seem to get the transfer right on the opposite side and ended up running out of transfers and I also managed to damage the handrail (I think I can repair it though)

I don't like to but I will have to admit defeat, however, I've decided to send the loco off to Steve at Grimy Times for the livery change and weathering

If at first you don't succeed - try many, many times then give up and leave it to the professionals 

You won't be disappointed buddy, Steve Johnson is excellent to deal with and produces some lovely work.

Good choice !