RTR Concrete Sleeper FB Code 143

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

There's a whole loads of discussions going around on social media right now with people asking for RTR Peco O Gauge Concrete Sleeper FB track, so I called Peco to ask them why they don't make it.

The initial response was that they offered it as indiviualay, which wasn't the question I asked. Eventually, I got the answer I was expecting whereby a)they don't sell enough FB wooden sleeper track, b) they wouldn't make any money, and c) it wouldn't be popular enough for them to fit in with all the other stuff they manufacture. 

Trying to convince them otherwise was like trying to win the lottery without a ticket but they did say 'show us the interest - get people to call us like you have' - so, the number is 01297 626204 and you need to ask for the Technical Advice Bureau.

Get calling!

I agree with them.

My view is that O gauge lends itself to modelling smaller scenes: country stations & parts of yards. Even today, wooden/bullhead is suitable for both locations.

Those of us who have the space & desire to model a modern main line in O gauge which demands concrete/fb track are too few to make it sell it in sufficient numbers.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2019 at 06:37, Pete the Elaner said:

I agree with them.

My view is that O gauge lends itself to modelling smaller scenes: country stations & parts of yards. Even today, wooden/bullhead is suitable for both locations.

Those of us who have the space & desire to model a modern main line in O gauge which demands concrete/fb track are too few to make it sell it in sufficient numbers.

I disagree as the modern image fraternity is growing rapidly, or at least it's trying to, but keeps getting knocked back!

I have a horrible feeling you're going to be disappointed. I bought a pack of IL-715 concrete sleeper bases for use with Code 143 FB rail a while back (pipe-dream plank that came to nothing) and it's good stuff. Reminds me of simply a bigger version of the OO Exactoscale bases which I've used quite a bit and are imho much superior to OO RTR flexi track, at least if you want concrete sleepers. Buy the bases, thread on the rail and, voila, job done. Just don't forget to snip the webs on curves unless you want dog-legs. Ask me how I know, go on...

;)

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, scoobyra said:

I disagree as the modern image fraternity is growing rapidly, or at least it's trying to, but keeps getting knocked back!

I agree it's growing but I struggle to see there being enough of a market for it at the moment. Whilst there are more and more diesel-era layouts in existance, there are still very few examples based on mainline prototypes, which I would guess would be the main utiliser of concrete FB track. I would love to be proved wrong but I just cannot see it happening any time soon.