A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Cameo Challenge Results

• RMweb Gold

As we approach Railex, judges have been considering the very many entries and have now contacted all shortlisted and non shortlisted entries. There are in addition a number of entries, 19 in total by our reckoning, which the judges have decided are going to be insufficiently complete to be exhibited at Railex this year, and these are effectively "standing outside" of the judging process at this stage.

David Lane has kindly agreed to stage a further display of Cameo competition entries at Railex 2020, and so we are keen that these entries carry on building, as there are some really good ideas and great layouts under construction. Any entry that withdrew due to time constraints is welcome to carry on for consideration for the 2020 show, but we stress this is not a new competition open to any new entries.

The standards have been really high, and the variety of ideas wonderfully varied, as we can all see from the great variety of threads here on RMweb. The judges job has been genuinely very difficult and all of the entries were considered to be of a high standard.

I would also like to particularly thank Andy York and Warners for very generously hosting this Cameo section of RMweb for entries, which has added hugely to the fun of the whole thing and also been incredibly useful in sorting through all of the great ideas and superb modelling. Thank you Andy.

Broadly speaking, there are 8 in the final shortlist, 11 not shortlisted, and the 19 standing outside of the competition. The initial entry was staggering at something like 95 entries. It is difficult to be completely precise as not all original entries responded to requests for information earlier in the process.

If anyone has any queries about any of this, then please do contact me.

So a big thank you to all of you, on behalf of Iain Rice, Gordon Gravett, Chris Nevard and myself!

And see you at Railex....

Simon Castens

Edited by Not Jeremy
Title alteration
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now sent out a message to the 19 entries that have effectively not been judged, as described in the first post above.

One message has failed, and I do not have records of two layouts here that look as if they are still carrying on, so if you haven't just received an email then please contact me directly.

In answer to Alan's perfectly reasonable question, yes:

Final Shortlist

Bottom Works Yard

Cameo Callaton

Dewerstone

Lananta

Midland in Bristol

Newton Heath

Final judging of the final six shortlisted entries will be announced at Railex on the Saturday afternoon May 25th.

There are in addition two "highly commended" entries that are going to appear at the Mendip Model Railway group's Warminster exhibition two weeks later on Saturday the 8th June:

Highly commended

Alma Street Quay

Hembourne

Incidentally, this show will also feature both Lananta and Newton Heath entries, so the show will have quite a "Cameo theme". Jerry (and I)  also hope that all of the Cameo Challenge judges will also be at Warminster on the 8th.

As has been stated before, the standard of entry is very high and the "difference" between shortlisted and not shortlisted is really not very great in any case.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done to everyone but in particular those who have been short - listed. 

Great initiative in the first place which certainly had a positive effect on my modelling efforts. 

Bloody good show!!

Rob. 

23F99A6D00000578-0-image-m-35_1418311698830.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, is there any chance of getting the judges feedback on my entry?

In order to both develop the layout (and develop future layouts), I would be very interested in hearing the feedback (both positive and negative).

The final shortlist contains some fantastic layouts, Drewerstone in particular I cannot wait to see in the flesh (and may have to change my plans and actually attend RailEx this year). Congrats to the finalists!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Neither plaques nor feedback forgotten but there are rather a lot of other things going on at the moment. Iain has prepared more Cameo material for MRJ, which is effectively feedback, but I'm not sure when it will appear.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Neither plaques nor feedback forgotten but there are rather a lot of other things going on at the moment. Iain has prepared more Cameo material for MRJ, which is effectively feedback, but I'm not sure when it will appear.

Simon

I look forward to anything from Iain appearing in print, Simon. 

Personally, the competition has spurred me on to complete two layouts, both of which have appeared in print this year. 

I have found a format which works for me and I'm just about to start on my next cameoesque adventure in the form of Lambston, a bijou playground for a couple of Stroudley's finest canines. 

All in all, splendid indeed. 

Rob 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...