Rolling Roads

Hi all.

I have here 2 rolling roads. One is the Hornby version with all it's limitations, the second is the Ten Commandments version.

Now while I like the idea of the Ten commandments version I am finding that the Hornby version (a) takes less power to start things moving and keep them running. (B) is considerably quieter.

I have tried my Kernow Beattie Well Tank  (arrived this morning) on both and it's working and running better on the Hornby  rolling road.

does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Pete 

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I use a DCC concepts rolling road, have done for about 6 years now. It's probably clocked up over 500 hours of use in that time and has been absolutely maintenance free, and works as well now, as it did at first use, I'd thoroughly recommend one.

Essential for me too, having no means of a 'roundy roundy' to run locos in. Every loco accepted into my fleet as it were, gets around 3hrs of running in before seeing any chip or modification.

• RMweb Premium

My 4mm rolling road I bought off eBay, it is obviously a “small/private supplier” derived system using pcb board ally angle and roller bearings, I think it cost about £45 a few years ago for six pairs of rollers and it’s been absolutely brilliant.

I also have the “60” version of the Bachrus which takes 7mm and G gauge which served well.

I can only assume your DCC versi9n needs either lubrication or it’s got a pair off centre?

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 97xx said:

I have the Gaugemaster built-in one but tend to find the locos want to climb off of the rollers. Sometimes I need to put a stop block of foam in 'front' to hold them.

Does this happen with the TC one?

I do the same with my DCC concepts RR with some locos.  They don't all need it but I have never figured out why some do and others don't.  Although I suspect it is due to weight distribution?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Barclay said:

Built my own a few years ago with some little roller bearings and offcuts of brass. Not pretty but very useful when you don't have a 'roundy-roundy' !

44381146_Photo3.jpg.f831042c7692682eb1ae15d4b1e30611.jpg

108741792_Photo4.jpg.b2df94fb7b127fe5c3aba0afb6ffc5a5.jpg

I may well follow suit.

It did strike me that if I machine up my own I could (a) set the roller bearings at around 1:20 and (b) render the gauge finely adjustable.

Perhaps the former might encourage central running and/or less propensity to 'climb', although I suspect the latter is far more down to eccentricity of the tyre/wheel - as soon as the wobble comes around, the tyre now contacts only one roller of the pair and this maybe reduces drag and causes the climb.

Obviously I can see yours has infinitely adjustable gauge... ;)

Anyway a potentially interesting 'exercise' whilst we have time on our hands...