Adding coal and fire irons

• RMweb Gold

I’ve always had a negative view of my own abilities so adding coal to a loco has always filled me with dread as I’ve always been afraid of ruining a perfectly good loco

however after doing it on my 58xx and getting positive comments from you guys I’ve made a start on my other locos starting with my 57xx

I’ve also weathered a set of fire irons and a bucket which I’ve glued in place with glue n glaze (dries clear and surplus just wipes away)

D36A0DB1-C6A4-45A1-8084-B7E57956268B.jpeg

AD18637E-8B07-4019-B039-69E594A766A0.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

Why is the bucket filled with sand?

The various references I have seen made in driver's and firemen's memoirs refers to them being filled with water for washing in.

Gordon A

I wasn’t sure what the bucket contained so took a guess and got it wrong

I’ve since removed the offending item and I’ve done another one but this time I’ve dropped in a blob of enamel clear gloss in the hope it looks like water once it’s cured

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2019 at 15:49, Gordon A said:

Why is the bucket filled with sand?

The various references I have seen made in driver's and firemen's memoirs refers to them being filled with water for washing in.

Gordon A

Hasn’t photographed very well but here is take two

had to use the flash to try and show the ‘reflection’ in the water....dirty water :blush:

663BBA6D-A80B-48EF-B4E5-102FB94E1AD2.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

On 09/02/2019 at 18:08, chuffinghell said:

Hasn’t photographed very well but here is take two

had to use the flash to try and show the ‘reflection’ in the water....dirty water :blush:

663BBA6D-A80B-48EF-B4E5-102FB94E1AD2.jpeg

6C84DF22-BABC-4023-8389-59CA320A55A2.jpeg

I have a feeling that the bucket wouldn't be carried with water in it, one because I suspect it would not have much in it after the first rough rail joint and secondly there is no reason to carry it full, after all the engine has thousands of gallons onboard, so the bucket can be filled when needed and possibly with hot water too!

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

I have a feeling that the bucket wouldn't be carried with water in it, one because I suspect it would not have much in it after the first rough rail joint and secondly there is no reason to carry it full, after all the engine has thousands of gallons onboard, so the bucket can be filled when needed and possibly with hot water too!

:(

These castings are virtually solid so it was a case of trying to disguising this, hence the incorrect use of sand in the first instance

Oh well! failed again

bucket.JPG

If anyone asks it rained heavily the night before

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2019 at 12:48, chuffinghell said:

I’ve always had a negative view of my own abilities so adding coal to a loco has always filled me with dread as I’ve always been afraid of ruining a perfectly good loco

After seeing your work here, I hope you've now seen your negative view was misplaced. :)

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold

Real coal in bunkers/tenders and coal wagons is one of the cheapest, easiest, and most effective ways of improving the look of an RTR steam loco.  It 'lifts' the model instantly, and the addition of tools and buckets is another very cheap and effective way of making a loco look less like a product and more like a model.  But be warned, Chuffinghell, this is the top a very steep and slippery slope; you'll end up scratchbuilding broad gauge singles with full working inside motion if you aren't careful!

Excellent stuff.  Your next move should be IMHO to consider etched brass numberplates.

Buckets were carried empty, and could be used for all sorts of things in a working day.  Fresh and hot water for washing was available on the footplate, and sand lives in the sandboxes though the bucket may well be used to replenish them.  Firemen's bicycles were hung from the fire iron hooks as well on occasion.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Your next move should be IMHO to consider etched brass numberplates.

Buckets were carried empty, and could be used for all sorts 

Unfortunately I can’t seem to find anyone who supplies buckets that are not sold castings

I have started to add etched brass number plates to some of my locos

1AE33B6F-572B-4555-9C69-FBD88CF912D4.jpeg

90ECA53E-4B94-448B-B919-053A8A8597D5.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you don't mind sacrificing the handle (which you can add again afterwards with a bit of wire), just get a small drill bit and drill down the bucket. Select a size that is smaller than the bottom of the bucket and go slowly!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, uax6 said:

If you don't mind sacrificing the handle (which you can add again afterwards with a bit of wire), just get a small drill bit and drill down the bucket. Select a size that is smaller than the bottom of the bucket and go slowly!

Andy G

I had already tried to move the handle out of the way to drill a hole but of course the handle broke off

I’ll have a look at adding a wire handle although my skills are limited

• RMweb Premium

I'd drill a really small hole through each side of the bucket and thread a bit of 0.45 brass wire through the holes. If you do it so that the handle is inside the bucket the wire will push outwards holding itself in place.

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chuffinghell,

I think your loco's look really good with added coal and the weathering of 5814 look really good. The advice regarding the bucket is really good, I'm sure a 0.5m or smaller drill will do the job and the handle should just snap into place. 

Regarding fire irons and tools, I think you have used Springside Models castings, or perhaps Craftsman? These are all good but also 247 Developments make a nice etched brass set which is very fine (F16 is the part number I think).

Good luck and keep coaling.

Kind regards,

Richard b

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi Chuffinghell,

I think your loco's look really good with added coal and the weathering of 5814 look really good. The advice regarding the bucket is really good, I'm sure a 0.5m or smaller drill will do the job and the handle should just snap into place. 

Regarding fire irons and tools, I think you have used Springside Models castings, or perhaps Craftsman? These are all good but also 247 Developments make a nice etched brass set which is very fine (F16 is the part number I think).

Good luck and keep coaling.

Kind regards,

Richard b

Thanks Richard,

I’ve decided for the time being to abandon the use of a bucket

youre quite right I’ve used springside castings

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Went about doing my 64xx a little different

The current load is part of the cast weight with a pronounced ‘hump’

I’ve never been a big fan of over filled bunkers (personal preference) so instead of just gluing coal on top of the existing load I removed the casting (secured with two screws under the cab) and filled it flat-ish with a slight fall towards the cab

refitted and added the coal afterwards

118EBFDC-D082-4687-92F4-B0DDF8FEB998.jpeg

79D4291E-6D13-401D-BFA3-98F1A9356A91.jpeg

590505D3-02B0-4315-9247-1A1E1C222BF3.jpeg

78D4CC8A-FD98-40B9-9290-995D25F3D6A4.jpeg

Doesn’t look much different at the moment but I’ve only put the coal in dry, I’ll glue it in place once the loco has been weathered

Edited by chuffinghell
Poor spelling corrected
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

56xx and 45xx now done

So that’s seven locos done, and three to go....once they get back from Steve at Grimy Times

I'm aware that Steve adds coal at no extra cost but I’d like to do at least something myself, it’s only the weathering I’m not confident to do myself (best left to the expert)

I’ve decided to added etched plates to all my locos, currently on order

E895C850-7B7B-456C-8042-990E44554E4C.jpeg

162C03B0-96BB-47DE-9A54-E95C5733A844.jpeg