Jump to content
Having problems logging in to RMweb? Read more... ×
MarshLane

David Heys website

Recommended Posts

Many of you may know about David Heys website. A superb collection of images and text from the steam era.

 

Does anyone know what’s happened to it? It appears to have just vanished offline?

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fantastic resource Bing search has the following information.  If correct and David has passed away c12 months ago and the web site was not paid for then it may well have expired.  Very sad.

 

DAVID HEY'S COLLECTION - Official Site

www.davidheyscollection.com

VID HEY 1946 -2018. It is with deep regret that we, David's daughters Sarah and Nicola, announce that David passed away on March 17, 2018 after a short illness.

Br North Eastern Region

BR NORTH EASTERN REGION (NER) Brief pictorial history of BR's North Eastern Region …

21 - Br Western Region - 1

AROUND THE REGION - 4 (Above-Inset-Below) The stunning images from the NMSI …

30 - Br Southern Region - 1

EDITED BY DAVID HEY On January 1st 1948, the former 'Big Four' railway companies: …

82 - Br North-East Railmen 7

(Below) The 03s and 04s were identical with regard to engine and transmission, but …

Railway Centre Doncaster

JULIE BRIDGES FAMILY ALBUM. Working under the direction of many famous CME's …

Train Spotters 1

The reason train spotting become so popular with small boys in the Fifties is becauses a …

Railway Centre York

(Above) In 1960 BR's stock of steam locomotives shrank to less than 13,250, …

40 - Br Diesels 1980S 1

The fire risk within the National Park is always a problem, and the introduction of a well …

See results only from davidheyscollection.com

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah looks like thats what's happened then, as the domain name has definitely expired.  Shame - I was not aware that David had passed away.  

 

Thanks for the update.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just discovered that I took a backup of the entire site at Christmas 2017, just for my own use in case it ever disappeared!!  On just looking at it, David put a note on the front page to say that his original site was now part of the UK Web Archive.  

 

So for anyone who wants to access it - it wasn't the latest version, looks to have been taken about mid-2015, but it can be publicly accessed online through the UK Web Archive.

 

Hope that helps somebody.

 

Rich

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you; yes it does!  A valuable resource & glad to see it remains available.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

I've just discovered that I took a backup of the entire site at Christmas 2017, just for my own use in case it ever disappeared!!  On just looking at it, David put a note on the front page to say that his original site was now part of the UK Web Archive.  

 

So for anyone who wants to access it - it wasn't the latest version, looks to have been taken about mid-2015, but it can be publicly accessed online through the UK Web Archive.

 

Hope that helps somebody.

 

Rich

Except it doesn't appear to work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Marsh Lane. 

 

Must confess I had not heard of the David Heys collection until around 30 mins ago when I was searching info on 60s train formations and saw it referenced on one of the conversations somewhere else. I searched and was immediately disappointed to find it no longer seemed to exist, though some of the pics seem to have been posted on Pinterest.  Then another search brought me here and lo such a wonderful source of information not to mention happy distractions.

 

Thanks again 

 

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Except it doesn't appear to work!

 

Hi Kevin,

Working here too - I will point out the UK Web Archive is NOT the fastest website.  Im on a high-speed direct fibre connection, and rmWeb (including pictures) comes up almost instantly, but the UKWA takes about 5-10 seconds to appear!  But there is so much on a page, each one will keep you fascinated for ages :)  Plus better to have it slow, than not at all.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Caledonian Dave said:

Thank you Marsh Lane. 

 

Must confess I had not heard of the David Heys collection until around 30 mins ago when I was searching info on 60s train formations and saw it referenced on one of the conversations somewhere else. I searched and was immediately disappointed to find it no longer seemed to exist, though some of the pics seem to have been posted on Pinterest.  Then another search brought me here and lo such a wonderful source of information not to mention happy distractions.

 

Thanks again 

 

Dave

 

Hi Dave,

Glad to have been able to help - its a superb sight.  You might also want to have a search on here, or look through the Prototype thread on rmWeb has there is lots of train formation and carriage workings information available.  There is also an email group for carriage workings, see this post on my thread about 1970s formations ( the yahoo group includes lots of other decades ).  Aside from that if you cannot find what your looking for post a message in the questions thread - there are some very knowledgable people on this site that are always happy to help.

 

Rich

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2019 at 22:33, MarshLane said:

 

Hi Kevin,

Working here too - I will point out the UK Web Archive is NOT the fastest website.  Im on a high-speed direct fibre connection, and rmWeb (including pictures) comes up almost instantly, but the UKWA takes about 5-10 seconds to appear!  But there is so much on a page, each one will keep you fascinated for ages :)  Plus better to have it slow, than not at all.

 

Rich

Working for me now  so must've been a glitch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2019 at 17:55, MarshLane said:

I've just discovered that I took a backup of the entire site at Christmas 2017, just for my own use in case it ever disappeared!!  On just looking at it, David put a note on the front page to say that his original site was now part of the UK Web Archive.  

 

So for anyone who wants to access it - it wasn't the latest version, looks to have been taken about mid-2015, but it can be publicly accessed online through the UK Web Archive.

 

Thanks Rich

Works fine on tablet but not in Safari on iPhone. 

Original pages used to load on iPhone but for some reason the Web Archive page doesn't load fully.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.