David Heys website

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Many of you may know about David Heys website. A superb collection of images and text from the steam era.

Does anyone know what’s happened to it? It appears to have just vanished offline?

Rich

A fantastic resource Bing search has the following information.  If correct and David has passed away c12 months ago and the web site was not paid for then it may well have expired.  Very sad.

DAVID HEY'S COLLECTION - Official Site

www.davidheyscollection.com

VID HEY 1946 -2018. It is with deep regret that we, David's daughters Sarah and Nicola, announce that David passed away on March 17, 2018 after a short illness.

Br North Eastern Region

BR NORTH EASTERN REGION (NER) Brief pictorial history of BR's North Eastern Region …

21 - Br Western Region - 1

AROUND THE REGION - 4 (Above-Inset-Below) The stunning images from the NMSI …

30 - Br Southern Region - 1

EDITED BY DAVID HEY On January 1st 1948, the former 'Big Four' railway companies: …

82 - Br North-East Railmen 7

(Below) The 03s and 04s were identical with regard to engine and transmission, but …

Railway Centre Doncaster

JULIE BRIDGES FAMILY ALBUM. Working under the direction of many famous CME's …

Train Spotters 1

The reason train spotting become so popular with small boys in the Fifties is becauses a …

Railway Centre York

(Above) In 1960 BR's stock of steam locomotives shrank to less than 13,250, …

40 - Br Diesels 1980S 1

The fire risk within the National Park is always a problem, and the introduction of a well …

See results only from davidheyscollection.com

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah looks like thats what's happened then, as the domain name has definitely expired.  Shame - I was not aware that David had passed away.  

Thanks for the update.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I've just discovered that I took a backup of the entire site at Christmas 2017, just for my own use in case it ever disappeared!!  On just looking at it, David put a note on the front page to say that his original site was now part of the UK Web Archive.  

So for anyone who wants to access it - it wasn't the latest version, looks to have been taken about mid-2015, but it can be publicly accessed online through the UK Web Archive.

Hope that helps somebody.

Rich

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

I've just discovered that I took a backup of the entire site at Christmas 2017, just for my own use in case it ever disappeared!!  On just looking at it, David put a note on the front page to say that his original site was now part of the UK Web Archive.  

So for anyone who wants to access it - it wasn't the latest version, looks to have been taken about mid-2015, but it can be publicly accessed online through the UK Web Archive.

Hope that helps somebody.

Rich

Except it doesn't appear to work!

Thank you Marsh Lane. 

Must confess I had not heard of the David Heys collection until around 30 mins ago when I was searching info on 60s train formations and saw it referenced on one of the conversations somewhere else. I searched and was immediately disappointed to find it no longer seemed to exist, though some of the pics seem to have been posted on Pinterest.  Then another search brought me here and lo such a wonderful source of information not to mention happy distractions.

Thanks again 

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Except it doesn't appear to work!

Hi Kevin,

Working here too - I will point out the UK Web Archive is NOT the fastest website.  Im on a high-speed direct fibre connection, and rmWeb (including pictures) comes up almost instantly, but the UKWA takes about 5-10 seconds to appear!  But there is so much on a page, each one will keep you fascinated for ages :)  Plus better to have it slow, than not at all.

Rich

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2019 at 10:54, Caledonian Dave said:

Thank you Marsh Lane. 

Must confess I had not heard of the David Heys collection until around 30 mins ago when I was searching info on 60s train formations and saw it referenced on one of the conversations somewhere else. I searched and was immediately disappointed to find it no longer seemed to exist, though some of the pics seem to have been posted on Pinterest.  Then another search brought me here and lo such a wonderful source of information not to mention happy distractions.

Thanks again 

Dave

Hi Dave,

Glad to have been able to help - its a superb site.  You might also want to have a search on here, or look through the Prototype thread on rmWeb has there is lots of train formation and carriage workings information available.  There is also an email group for carriage workings, see this post on my thread about 1970s formations ( the yahoo group includes lots of other decades ).  Aside from that if you cannot find what your looking for post a message in the questions thread - there are some very knowledgable people on this site that are always happy to help.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2019 at 22:33, MarshLane said:

Hi Kevin,

Working here too - I will point out the UK Web Archive is NOT the fastest website.  Im on a high-speed direct fibre connection, and rmWeb (including pictures) comes up almost instantly, but the UKWA takes about 5-10 seconds to appear!  But there is so much on a page, each one will keep you fascinated for ages :)  Plus better to have it slow, than not at all.

Rich

Working for me now  so must've been a glitch. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2019 at 17:55, MarshLane said:

Thanks Rich

Works fine on tablet but not in Safari on iPhone. 

Original pages used to load on iPhone but for some reason the Web Archive page doesn't load fully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Delighted to advise that David Heys superb website is once again back up and running on the http://www.davidheyscollection.com website address.  His daughter's appear to have added a note at some point since March last year to advise of David's passing, and presumably have sorted out the web hosting.

Great to have this superb site back again.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news; just discovered the site operational today.

We are so fortunate in that David's daughters have continued to keep his thoroughly informational and entertaining achievements active for us all to enjoy.

What lovely people and so considerate.

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Website is back up and accessible again - https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com

Not sure why the web address has changed.

Looks like the site has been rehosted at shopblocks.com which is primarily a provider of ecommerce sites. However, I just got it via your link to the original domain posted in February 2019 which was certainly giving the same result as @Aire Head got up to a couple of days ago (the reason I came looking for this thread!).  Checking the dns records for both domains shows they point to the same address.

A great relief that the site is still available as it is a wonderful resource.

Edit: unfortunately pages within the site have been renamed, so links from old threads won't work.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Does anyone have any contact details for his family?

I would be more than happy to pay hosting fees indefinitely. David helped so many of us with information and help that we owe him that at the very least.

Derek

Sadly not. I have a web server that hosts several other railway websites for people (including some that are regulars on here) and would happily take it on to there without it costing the family anything, in order to keep it live, but I cannot find anyway of contacting them.

If anyone knows, please drop me a PM.

Rich