Perth Model Railway Exhibition 29 and 30 Jun 2019

Waverley47708

There are a few late changes.

DJ Models have of course withdrawn.

The East of Scotland 16 mm Group have withdrawn due to a shortage of man power.

We have, however added a demonstration of 16 mm modelling by Scottish Model Engineering Trust members to replace the 16 mm Group.

We have also added our OO Gauge layout Aldbury to take the space previously occupied by DJ Models.

We have also added an N Scale American layout Karolina Falls which will also fill some space occupied by the 16 mm Group.

The show guide goes to print today so I think the changes are complete. A new list will appear here shortly.

Regards,

Stan

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Getting the Portuguese fleet fettled for our only show of 2019 with Campo De Leste (are we the only Portuguese outline layout on the show circuit in the UK at present?) Come and have a chat with the SDEG boys. You won't miss the bright Orange Polo shirts.

1.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm considering going to this show, but from my last experience, I'd like to know what's being used on Edinburgh-Perth-Inverness trains now? The 3-car 170s used the last time I went could be crowded, and even worse when one was replaced by a 2-car 158...

Not a big fan of 158s or 170s myself overcrowded or otherwise, and hope you can make it to the show.

I think the following are ScotRail HSTs, based on info from Scot-rail

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Diagrams:ScotRail+HST+Jan+2019

1H07 0833 Edinburgh - Inverness

1H13 1336 Edinburgh - Inverness.

Alternatively if you go via Stirling and have to change there the following connecting services should be HSTs.

1A47 0553 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 0846 ; HST-09 
1A53 0838 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 1121 ; HST-05 
1A57 0939 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 1238 ; HST-10 
1A61 1138 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 1411 ; HST-03 
1A63 1237 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 1514 ; HST-09 
1A73 1539 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 1822 ; HST-05 
1A83 1741 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 2032 ; HST-03 
1A87 1840 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 2123 ; HST-08 
1A89 1939 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 2220 ; HST-09 
1A95 2140 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 0030 ; HST-05

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2019 at 09:39, gridwatcher said:

Getting the Portuguese fleet fettled for our only show of 2019 with Campo De Leste (are we the only Portuguese outline layout on the show circuit in the UK at present?) Come and have a chat with the SDEG boys. You won't miss the bright Orange Polo shirts.

1.jpg

I really enjoyed seeing this (I can't remember if it was Model Rail Scotland or Warley), but made the cardinal (pun intended) sin of asking if it was Spanish..........

Thoroughly looking forward to seeing it again, nice and bright and colourful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More news:

Finishing Touches have withdrawn due to unforeseen circumstances. A replacement is being investigated to take their allocated space.

Seminars by Legomanbiffo. One seminar per day in the luxurious surroundings of the Board Room at Dewars Centre but instead of an audience with Lord Sugar, you are welcome to come along to find out about the following:

An introduction to the version 5 chip and how its features will benefit everyone. A pre-production Heljan Class 66 will be used to demonstrate that.

Some information on DVT and DBSO operations and dispelling the myth that 'electrics, DVTs and DBSOs don't make any sounds'. This will include a Class 47/7 and DBSO, plus a 67, 86, 87 and a 90 running with a DVT.

There will also be a good light and sound demo including a London Underground S stock with door opening lights and third rail arc flashes, 1 153 with door opening lights and an Autoballaster with sound and lights.

Also, a little bit about bi-mode operation using the Hornby IEP as an example.

Also included, Neil  will be some examples new steam and irish diesel sounds and answering as many questions as possible.

All of this is for free! Each day the seminar will start at 2.00 pm and last for an hour or longer if there is lots on interest and as many questions and discussion as you like.

Please register for the seminar at the entry desk or at Stand 76

Regards,

Stan

Even more news:

Now that the Perth MRG is part of Scottish Model Engineering Trust, it looks like we will be able to operate live (indoor in Hall 1) steam train rides courtesy of our new colleagues. This will be confirmed shortly and if it happens will certainly add to the atmosphere of the exhibition!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of my distant relatives is getting married on Saturday. Damn inconvenient! I’ve suggested they reschedule, but this didn’t go down at all well.  So looks like I’m going to miss it this year, as unlikely to be in fit state following morning! Although as wedding isn’t till 3 I’m wondering if I can do a quick visit Sat am . 

Edited by Legend

19 hours ago, Legend said:

One of my distant relatives is getting married on Saturday. Damn inconvenient! I’ve suggested they reschedule, but this didn’t go down at all well.  So looks like I’m going to miss it this year, as unlikely to be in fit state following morning! Although as wedding isn’t till 3 I’m wondering if I can do a quick visit Sat am 

How distant are they?  If you hired a stunt double to go in your place would they notice?

Yes you can make it, 8 years ago number three daughter was born in Dundee in the early hours of Saturday morning, I was at the show operating a layout by lunchtime.

Hope you can make it along even if it is only for a short time.

• Like 4

We will be exhibiting Almondbridge and Aldbury. 

A short video of Almondbridge in modern image guise at Warley a few years ago and a longer video of Aldbury to get you in the mood.  Modern image then being a bit different to what it is in 2019.  Expect RHTT and maybe even a full rake of Biomass wagons.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 12:04, SEM63A said:

More news:

Finishing Touches have withdrawn due to unforeseen circumstances. A replacement is being investigated to take their allocated space.

Seminars by Legomanbiffo. One seminar per day in the luxurious surroundings of the Board Room at Dewars Centre but instead of an audience with Lord Sugar, you are welcome to come along to find out about the following:

An introduction to the version 5 chip and how its features will benefit everyone. A pre-production Heljan Class 66 will be used to demonstrate that.

Some information on DVT and DBSO operations and dispelling the myth that 'electrics, DVTs and DBSOs don't make any sounds'. This will include a Class 47/7 and DBSO, plus a 67, 86, 87 and a 90 running with a DVT.

There will also be a good light and sound demo including a London Underground S stock with door opening lights and third rail arc flashes, 1 153 with door opening lights and an Autoballaster with sound and lights.

Also, a little bit about bi-mode operation using the Hornby IEP as an example.

Also included, Neil  will be some examples new steam and irish diesel sounds and answering as many questions as possible.

All of this is for free! Each day the seminar will start at 2.00 pm and last for an hour or longer if there is lots on interest and as many questions and discussion as you like.

Please register for the seminar at the entry desk or at Stand 76

Regards,

Stan

Hattons 66 Stan?

Just another late change - this time an addition.

Alan Goodwillie will be bringing his latest Scalefour layout along "under construction" to let you see how it is done as well as demonstrating various building techniques. We are grateful to Alan for attending and look forward to seeing him and his team. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JeremyC said:

For those planning travelling by road I notice that there are major roadworks this weekend on the M90 around Perth.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/921897/weekend-restrictions-as-m90-roadworks-get-under-way/

Thanks for heads up and link.  It says it is between junctions 10 and 11, which looks to be the length over the Friarton Bridge, so, if coming from the south, then the part just after junction 10, where you turn off for Perth city centre.  I suppose there could be lane reductions in advance of 10 to get down to the space needed for the necessary contra-flow for the works.

Well, the first trader should be in and set up (already!). One day early....

We will have a TV crew on site during the set up and on Saturday filming for a new documentary. Don't be shy if you are asked to contribute to an interview.....

Stan

• Like 1