How to fill in a big hole, 1941 style

This seems to me to be a collection of out-takes, the most interesting bit being the way in which the bomb crater is filled in ...

Edited by spikey
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I assume thats all shed locomotive ash, something theres plenty of, and would be in loaded into wagons already.

The sheer volumes of people involved, just show how automation has changed our time.

Looks like smokebox char, it moves to easily to be ash. (And it would drain better than ash.)

• Informative/Useful 1

And not only was it labour-intensive by today's standards, but there was also the risk of further bombing interrupting the works.  Verily, a good job 'elf and safety hadn't been invented yet ...

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1

If  i am not mistaken that is just south of Seven Sisters Station in North LOndon on the Liv St to Enfield Line.

The trolley is a give away, as is the curve just seen to South Tottenham Station. Which was used by the North Woolwich to Palace Gates service

If already spotted ...apologies for double post

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2019 at 19:02, John_Miles said:

There was an embankment washout on the Neath and Brecon early in the 20th century. If you look at  the embankment it contains all sorts of material from what looks like old bits of boiler plate and slag to ash. In other words anything they had lying around.

There is a major slip site on the Greenford branch and it consumed a lot of material dug our during the 1967 layout modernistaion at Paddington, including one of the Grampus wagons that delivered such material to the site.

Edited by The Stationmaster

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is a major slip site on the Greenford branch and it consumed a lot of material dug our during the 1967 layout modernistaion at Paddington, including one of the Grampus wagons that delivered such material to the site.

There's supposed to be a horse and cart entombed in one of the pillars of the Glenfinnan Viaduct. And there is a compressor inside a pillar of the Kingston Bridge in Glasgow.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, spikey said:

And not only was it labour-intensive by today's standards, but there was also the risk of further bombing interrupting the works.  Verily, a good job 'elf and safety hadn't been invented yet ...

Except that because a war was on, the job simply needed to be done. They could hardly wait for the RAF to guarentee that the Luftwaffe had been eliminated, before remedial work could start.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

There's supposed to be a horse and cart entombed in one of the pillars of the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

The pillars were xrayed to find out if this were true, it's not.

There is however a horse and cart inside Loch Nan Umah Viaduct, (found by the xrays), the horse and cart story somehow had got transfered to the wrong viaduct over the years. , They had been reversing up to the hollow pier to drop in rubble and gone to far..

• Informative/Useful 3

35 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Except that because a war was on, the job simply needed to be done. They could hardly wait for the RAF to guarentee that the Luftwaffe had been eliminated, before remedial work could start.

Quite so.  That was my point :)

I used to update the SR's 33kV cable records (in large books - no computers then) back in the early 80's and it was amazing to see many of the earlier entries as "Damaged by Enemy action" ............................... made me realise even back then that I was simply a custodian (for the present time) of a railway that has been operating continuously pretty much since the middle of the previous century ............................ in later times also had to deal with the on-going effects of a hastily filled-in bomb crater (UXB) near Hook which was still capable of causing a slack in the PW some 60+ years later .............................

Not surprisingly I get referred to as "Uncle Albert" at work :D

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, pH said:

There's supposed to be a horse and cart entombed in one of the pillars of the Glenfinnan Viaduct. And there is a compressor inside a pillar of the Kingston Bridge in Glasgow.

And supposedly a loco under the pitch at Wembley Stadium that fell into the foundations of Watkins' Folly!