Pontypridd MRC Show 27 April (in Llantwit Fardre)

valleymodeller

This year's event will take place on Saturday 27 April at our usual venue, Newtown Llantwit Community Centre, Crown Hill, Llantwit Fardre, CF38 2NA. Admission £3.50 all classes (up to two children free with paying adult).

Exhibitors are as follows:

Layouts

Mutton                                  OO  BR(S) Steam                                      Rob Gunstone

Wylam Park                           N   gauge                                                 Dan Wylam (Barry MRC)

City Sidings                            BR                                                            Graham Bucknall

Abercynon Fach                   BR(W) Steam Shed                                 Brian Tucker (Pontypridd MRC Member) as seen in Model Rail November 2014.

Forest Gate Parkway           OO MI Privatisation Era                         Graham Mann (Pontypridd MRC Member) as seen in Hornby Magazine January 2019. New extended version

Dilwyn                                    OO Shropshire/Hereford                      Nigel Broad

Hornby Dublo Playtime        OO Hornby Dublo                                Chris Cheney

Weargate Cement Works    N   gauge                                                Ed Farms

Sugar Lane                            HO US freight                                        Richard Flannigan (Western Valley MRS)

Shepcote Lane                    OO  BR Sector era                                  Baz Jones (Western Valley MRS) (with working tippler)

Castell Sofia                         OO BR Steam Diesel                             Roger Davies (Pontypridd MRC Member)

Jedbach                                Hoe Austrian narrow gauge                  Bill Thomas (Pontypridd MRC member)

Thomas The Tank Engine    OO                                                        Rhondda MRC

Wolf Valley  RR                      O gauge US Short Line                       Simon Burton

Blaendare Road                  OO gauge                                                Phil Harries

Loch Carron Lane               OO Modern Image Shed                      Stuart Williams

Trade

Lord and Butler (incl 'Dirty Boy Weathering'       Cardiff

Tallyllyn Preservation Society 

Club sales stand

Demonstrations

Narrow Gauge Kit building      Jim Edwards /Pontypridd MRC

Refreshments

Limited refreshments available on the day, Bacon Rolls, sandwiches, tea , coffee etc. (supplied by Tealicious Vintage Teas)

All exhibits subject to change (the curse of the cancellation!)

16 layouts, 2 demonstration/Society stands and 2 Trade Stands for £3.50 I think offers good value.

I will post some links from RMWeb to some of the listed layouts later. And add some photos for some others.

Any questions please ask.

Tony

Edited by valleymodeller
  • Friendly/supportive 1

No 100 bus from Pontypridd to Talbot Green - not many buses in the morning but every 1hr/1:30hr or so after 13h00. Connects with train services to/from Cardiff (Valleys services)* either at Pontypridd or Treforest (stop near the Otley Arms). Google for details. Edwards coaches runs the service (it used to be Bebbs buses or the Nos 240/241 Western Welsh service when I were a lad and lived in Tonteg).

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Edit: *Just to specify NOT main-line services if you're coming from Calne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh no ... I haven't lived in Tonteg since 1982. Google was my friend, though I was surprised to see that Bebb's weren't running the service. If Timbowilts is reading this, I should have added that he mustn't catch the services to Caerphilly/Rhymney or he'll end up miles away!!

Timbowilts  will also need to Google for the exact times of the buses as they are not spaced equally time-wise throughout the afternoon.

Be a sport, and say 'hello' to my brother Peter, the Lord part of Lord and Butler.

Have a good exhibition.

Cheers,

Philip

Phil Harries' Blaendare Road will replace his own Hylton Parkway at the Show.

Also MIB Models' attendance will be subject to Alan Jenkins' health following his recent heart attack. I am hoping MIB will be there in some format, maybe with a smaller stand than last year. Fingers crossed.

Tony

Unfortunately MIB Models are unable to attend this year due to Alan's illness. So Lord & Butler will be the only  recognised trader. But we still have Tallyllyn Preservation Group and Club Sales stand in attendance. Sadly Alan will be missed but we wish him a speedy recovery and I trust he will fit enough for next year's show.

I the meantime I attach some photos of Abercynon Fach, Forest Gate Parkway, Shepcote Lane and Mutton who are all exhibiting this year. Shepcote Lane's working tippler is a joy to behold open its own. It'll be worth the visit just to see these four layouts , but there are another twelve(!) too, all for £3.50 entry.

Tony

Abercynon Fach.jpg

Avercynon Fach.jpg

Forest Gaet Parkway.jpg

Forest Gate Parkway.jpg

Shepcote Lane.jpg

Shepcote Ln.jpg

post-14122-0-94184800-1539021993.jpg

post-14122-0-14937300-1539021750.jpg

Edited by valleymodeller

Posted in the Exhibitions section off this Forum is the following , posted today by Stuart Williams regarding his modern Image shed layout 'Loch Carron Lane', which will be appearing at the show.

Thank You to Stu for the info.

Tony 

'Looking forward to seeing the layouts and exhibiting Loch Carron Lane. 

A little bit about the layout 

Loch Carron Lane is a modern image, micro 4mm DCC layout measuring just 3ft  x 1ft.

I purchased it in 2017 at Swansea MREX as a completed layout. It was being exhibited but also had a for sale sign on it and I snapped it up as i could see a lot of potential for it. 

Since its purchase I have transformed it from a steam era layout into a modern day DRS themed TMD. 

So far Ive added additional lighting, a new fuel point, a new depot with interior detail and extra scenic items around the depot but as you know layouts are never really finished.  

Typical operation will be the shunting of locos around the Tmd, movement of drs support carriages, with visits by the engineers carriage caroline, some Tesco container wagons and nuclear flasks.

Rolling stock for this layout is over 20 DRS owned / liveried locos, some with sound from classes 20, 37, 47, 57, 68 and 90. Also visiting locos on the day from Network Rail and other operators.  

Control is achieved using PowerCab Pro. The layout is controlled by one person. Pointwork is manual.

The layout didn’t have a fiddle yard but I have added this by modifying the shed so that a removable end section allows a fiddle yard to be installed and locos to emerge from the shed and gives variety for viewers to not know what is coming out the shed - the idea of this is based on the DRS Kingmoor depot which has a through shed.

Not on the exhibition circuit but did exhibit in Swansea last year which is when I was approached by Tony to exhibit at this show.

I dont have a webpage for the layout, but do have a small group on facebook which I put updates on as and when possible. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1388461787953465/

Stu'

For all exhibitors at the Show, set up will be between 4pm and 8pm tomorrow (Friday 26th), and from 8am on Saturday. The show opens at 10am.

Our resident electrical expert won't be able to attend , so can I ask all exhibitors to ensure they bring sufficient electrical extension cables. Otherwise we might end up with 16 static exhibits!!

Tony

Edited by valleymodeller
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, timbowilts said:

Just returned home from visiting this show from Wiltshire. Well worth the long journey.

Well done to all involved, especially the ladies dishing up the bacon rolls!

Tim T

Thanks Tim, glad you enjoyed yourself......and the catering.

Tony