OK, I've finally got around to starting my 2019 cake box. The name is a play on the fact that there are multiple levels to incorporate into the space.

There will be an island platform running through the centre of the board, with track either side of the platform. This will need to be cut to fit within the box, so is more a suggestion of track rather than being usable.

The central feature will be the Scalescenes R006 Platform Subway kit complete with escalators and underground section. I intend to fit a Dapol/Airfix canopy to cover the platform.

I intend to build the lot using bits from my spares box, chiefly because I have so many bits that I don't have a use for.

Please see attached architects blueprint for further details.

Andrew

IMG_20190210_163858224.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bit more work on the cake box at the weekend.

IMG_20190220_220424839.jpg.caad60538f0dbeae7bb23d4f9b2511f5.jpg

I've added some tiny led lights to the underside of the platform section. This area will form the subway once I've cut some walls to fit.

For the track level board I've modified some code 100 track by cutting away the plastic webbing underneath.

IMG_20190220_141502437.jpg.b4becd2a9b396baa3ac2e038797ab77f.jpg

Once I had done this, I re-spaced the sleepers to give a better "look".

I have attempted to create a forced perspective effect by having larger gaps at the front of the cake box, with the sleepers getting progressively closer together towards the rear.

Edited by Cornholio
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, with less than 48 hours to go, I'd better pull my finger out and get this written up.

In the mean-time, here's some CCTV footage showing a couple of shifty looking gricers hanging around on Platform 2...

SecurityFootage.jpg.65b7826d2064a5a834d03a4cd969e5d4.jpg

• Like 4

The all important verification photos.

In the interest of full disclosure, the electrical switch (not part of the model) does protrude slightly from the stated dimensions.

Rules

The model must fit in a standard 8 by 8 by 6 inch cake box

It must include 2 items with a railway connection

You should follow the theme "Waiting for a train". How you interpret that is up to you.

thebox1.JPG

thebox2.JPG

thebox3.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I love this model - so much to notice: each photo is worth several viewings: fantastic!

If I could ask one question, do you think the Scalescenes escalator kit could also be used to model an exit upwards from a platform to a higher level concourse?  The Scalescenes website shows the escalators standalone, but I'm not sure if it also works for the stairs in the same kit. Just wondered. 

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Do you think the Scalescenes escalator kit could also be used to model an exit upwards from a platform to a higher level concourse?

Hi Keith,

I think the kit would totally work for that. It's built as a free standing unit which you just stick the side walls onto or not in your example.

The only thing that might cause you an issue is the fixed height of the escalator (about 2" tall). You could work around that by editing the download though.

The stairs are built in the same way, you would just add or remove flights/steps until you reach the desired height.

Best wishes

Andrew

Edited by Cornholio
Edited for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1