Mazak rot in Bachmann warship

kernowtim

• RMweb Premium

Is this the early ex-Mainline D804?  I thought that might be early enough to have escaped the plague.  Mine is already on a new chassis because the drive shafts on what was a second-hand loco to me were both completely stuffed and one gear tower had been affected by a crude attempt to glue the shaft in.  

I had a weathered 802 which I was unhappy with because the weathering over coloured plastic made it appear pink.  A quick swap of the guts means that D804 is now happily running with almost-new innards from 802 which loco is now a heavily-weathered and rusted scrap-siding non-runner after being attended to on my "dirty" bench and acquiring D804s chassis.

This is the reworked ex mainline one, the plastic chassis moulding appears undamaged and would probably straighten out. I was going to sell this on ebay with a long dead unpowered mainline version, I may transplant the works into the mainline Plastic chassis instead!

• RMweb Premium

Following up on this I have inspected the chassis-swapped D802. It does indeed have a very slightly warped ex-D804 chassis though as explained above it is already a non-runner. 

4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

It would be helpful if you could post details onto the List in "Modeling questions, help and tips". I think D804 in blue has been recognised as a victim .

Have you found it in time that the body is undamaged and could be put on another chassis?

John.

Have added to list, plastic components and mechanism seems unaffected so far!

• Thanks 1

With the increasing use of mazak in models to add weight, increases the onus

on manufacturers to make sure the Chinese factories check the purity of the mazak

used in our very expensive models.

The time it takes for impure mazak to rear it's ugly head, will ensure that the warranty

is long expired. Pre-war Hornby Dublo and Dinky toys suffered badly from mazak rot,

but post-war models were fine, so they eventually got it right.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

This impinges on a fundamental problem with the Chinese production model.  The castings are not made in one individual factory where conditions and materials can be closely monitored, they are made in many small foundries scattered about that huge country, to CAD specifications available online from the co-ordinating agency, so quality control is a particularly difficult issue.  The raw mazak itself will come from many different suppliers, compounding the situation.  

The attraction of mazak to the trade is that it is cheap, easily obtainable, easy to cast/mould, and heavy; vital in models that need all the help they can get with traction.  Lead is cheaper, easier to work, and heavier, not to mention not suffering from rot, but there is a resistance to using it in anything that might be sold through a toy shop.  Mazak is fine so long as the quality is up to the mark, but there are people in China who want to make a fast buck out of inferior materials just as much as there are here, or anywhere.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I can never understand why its considered 'heavy', considering the majority is Zinc and Aluminium - both very light metals - with some Copper thrown in.

I suppose it is considerably heavier than most plastics at least.

Al.

Zinc is not light! It has a mass of 65 which is more than copper or iron.

Lead is more than three times the relative mass, Tungsten which is non toxic is just under 3 times but is somewhat more expensive.

I t can be bought in ready made blocks of various sizes, if you are considering using it as ballast.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Lead is more than three times the relative mass, Tungsten which is non toxic is just under 3 times but is somewhat more expensive.

I t can be bought in ready made blocks of various sizes, if you are considering using it as ballast.

Atom for atom I'd agree with you (you've quoted the relative atomic mass of zinc at 65) , but it's the density that matters...

Zinc           7.14 g/cm3

Copper     8.96

Iron           7.87

Lead          11.3

Tungsten  19.3

Mazak 3     6.7 (there are actually a variety of grades of Mazak, with densities between 6.4 and 6.8 g/cm3)

I guess cost, plus ease of casting and working are the main factors...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

QED as I would say - I am a chemist by trade btw ....

The RD, as mentioned isn't that light, but it's hardly dense.

Comments go for the easily worked, limited toxicity variety, etc ... that rules out Pb obviously.

It isn't that reactive either, which would help.

Mention within the infamous Wiki states Mazak rot set in through poorer grades of Zn being used. When respected, maintaining at '4 nines' (99.99%) or above if possible, then it's fine.

W would be nice, just a little hard and expensive ... but where there's a will, and a decent production set-up, there's a way.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

From what I've read, it seems to be unwanted lead that seems to be the undoing of Mazak.

Relative atomic mass:

Schoolboy error as it's literally 30-40 years since I did anything to do with metals and have forgotten everything.

Zinc is still not light though, as your figures show, it being in the same region as iron and copper.

I've used zinc sheeting in the past and it is way heavier than aluminium/aluminium alloy sheet. I

It was being used as a substitute for lead sheet for roof flashing at one time but lead is back in fashion.

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Hi Kieth,

Tungsten carbide cutting tips used for machine tools make excellent weights for models especially if you are on friendly terms with a machine shop that will let you have their worn tips for free.

Similar density to gold but rather cheaper by weight !

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Truth is that mazak is a rubbish material for use as ballast or cast chassis blocks in model railway locomotives, but that everything else is worse in terms of suitability, or cost, or ease of use, or environmental/health and safety issues (lead).  So, for any foreseeable future, we're stuck with the stuff and can only be grateful when it doesn't rot!

Success depends on a level of quality control which the Chinese production model cannot guarantee to offer, and given the past failures of the British model we have no real right to complain.  Some Hornby Dublo models, and not a few Triang ones, were notorious for mazak rot and the issue pervades the British die cast industry.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Kieth,

Tungsten carbide cutting tips used for machine tools make excellent weights for models especially if you are on friendly terms with a machine shop that will let you have their worn tips for free.

Similar density to gold but rather cheaper by weight !

Gibbo.

But too expensive and difficult to work to use in RTR mass products.  But you are definitely on the right track here, Gibster...

Accurascale will be using Tungsten in their Deltic and Class 92 models. So no fear of mazak rot there.

My only concerns are:

1/ we will need to wear steel toe protection boots when we play with model trains now

2/ the packaging will need to be really secure to ensure that the loco does not suddenly burst out like the baby Alien in the Alien movies when it gets delivered

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:21, BR Blue said:

I think one of the motivations for Accurascale's use of Tungsten was to create space for speakers so they would presumably need to use less material as its heavier.

Another one seems to have been to give their locos some internal details without reducing weight.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The best material is Unobtainium, found in the centre of black holes.  

At several hundred tons a spoonful, I'm sure material from a white dwarf would easier to obtain and perfectly suffice for model railways.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem with Mazak is the copper content. Copper is an ideal constituent to stabilise Zinc. However, copper is more expensive.... So, out goes the copper. I can't remember the exact alloy content (I need to look it up) but we did know that the zinc content breaks down when copper is removed. Zinc Oxide is capable of 'growing' ,  rather akin to the skin of aluminium oxide when left to the elements. Once it starts to expand, it's got to go somewhere!

Back to metallurgy class for me.  A good chemist and a rigorous QC will sort that out pretty quick.

Have a great weekend,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Keyboard misdemeanour, since corrected.