What should the Home Screen Look Like?

In the FAQ section, there's this pic:Screenshot_2019-02-10-20-00-52.png.63819f4454c52d64774c90629b55065f.png

On my home screen (logged in) there are no home and activity tabs, also further down the FAQ section there's this image:

Screenshot_2019-02-10-20-08-53.png.332703f3f39c473446b9aaaba93261bc.png

Try as I might, I can't find anything like those whilst trying to customise my views and be certain I can see and use the new RMWeb to show me stuff like the old software did. Nowhere do I see my avatar, there seems to be no means of knowing if I'm logged in or not and there is no search bar line the one above. A pic of the home screen I see follows:

Screenshot_2019-02-10-20-14-19.png.ecb9f7f48dd9a83cf7331f4c644539f0.png

Any ideas, suggestions or reasons.

I'm logged in on an Android device.

Thanks.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

In the FAQ section, there's this pic:Screenshot_2019-02-10-20-00-52.png.63819f4454c52d64774c90629b55065f.png

On my home screen (logged in) there are no home and activity tabs, also further down the FAQ section there's this image:

Screenshot_2019-02-10-20-08-53.png.332703f3f39c473446b9aaaba93261bc.png

Try as I might, I can't find anything like those whilst trying to customise my views and be certain I can see and use the new RMWeb to show me stuff like the old software did. Nowhere do I see my avatar, there seems to be no means of knowing if I'm logged in or not and there is no search bar line the one above. A pic of the home screen I see follows:

Screenshot_2019-02-10-20-14-19.png.ecb9f7f48dd9a83cf7331f4c644539f0.png

Any ideas, suggestions or reasons.

I'm logged in on an Android device.

Thanks.

MarshLane is showing the desktop version, on Android the menus are in the 'three white bars' button top right.

• Thanks 1

I was going to suggest that you were not logged in and viewing as a guest, but that wouldn't have allowed you to post.  A screenshot of what I see when viewing on a Windows 10 PC is shown below.  Note that my user name appears in the top right corner and the rest is as per most of the instructions.

image.png.a8ff1dc5d09175f3eb82ec08ad088c1c.png

However logging on to an Android tablet, I can get to a screen that looks like yours.  If I click on the three horizontal bars, and then click on Activity, I get the same list of options as you've indicted above - eg unread content, my activity streams etc and I find that the next time I use the tablet, it returns to the same place - I normally leave it on unread content.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Thanks folks.

So it's not just me being :senile: then - yippee!

I don't have regular access to a pc that is connected to the www.

If you're using Chrome as your browser you can force it to show the desktop version by tapping the 3 dots to the right of the address bar and tapping the square next to 'desktop site'. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

the menus are in the 'three white bars' button top right.

The "three bars" icon is called the "hamburger".

It is common on the web. It is meant to look like a menu, and means "everything else".

Martin.

On 10/02/2019 at 21:43, Worsdell forever said:

If you're using Chrome as your browser you can force it to show the desktop version by tapping the 3 dots to the right of the address bar and tapping the square next to 'desktop site'. 

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks.

I've got a 10" Tablet and I note that when I'm reading the site in landscape mode, I have the desktop version, but if I spin it through 90 degrees and hold it in portrait mode, I'm presented with the mobile version of the site.  I guess that it must be something to do with the screen resolution, such that if the screen is less than a certain number of pixels wide, it switches from desktop to mobile.  I'm therefore not surprised that zooming has the same effect. 

• Agree 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:12, Dungrange said:

I've got a 10" Tablet and I note that when I'm reading the site in landscape mode, I have the desktop version, but if I spin it through 90 degrees and hold it in portrait mode, I'm presented with the mobile version of the site.  I guess that it must be something to do with the screen resolution, such that if the screen is less than a certain number of pixels wide, it switches from desktop to mobile.  I'm therefore not surprised that zooming has the same effect.  

Indeed, I get the same effect on a desktop by manually making the window narrower at the same resolution and zoom level. I think the best way to think of it is that there's a 'wide screen' and 'narrow screen' version of the site, and either can display on any device under the appropriate circumstances.

• Agree 1