Class 55 help please - independent dual engine sound ideas?

RobjUK

Hi all,

I'm just about to start building a 7mm scale brass kit deltic loco and I'm trying to plan ahead and get ideas for suitable dcc decoder + sound modules.

The body shell is mostly empty so I have a lot of space to play with for electronics and speakers!

With the two generic O gauge locos of different types I've converted to DCC in the past, I've used a Lenz gold maxi decoder and an Uhlenbrock sound 4 module, which seem to overall work very well for both control and sound. One of those is a single engine diesel, the other is steam.

With this model, I particularly want full sound to match a dual-engine loco, with independent start stop control.

I know it's possible to connect two sound modules to one decoder via the SUSI bus, but I have no idea if that's the best way of doing it, or even if that would work to simulate two engines.

Searching on here I have seen a mention of a dual-sound setup (by Legomanbiffo?) but I have no idea what hardware it was based on or how it would be controlled.

I want to use a generously rated motor decoder with plenty of aux outputs, at least five amp motor rating & preferably higher (eg. Zimo MX695 or 699 type of thing, 6A continuous), but other than that I'm open to suggestions and any possible info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Rj.

Hi Richard,

I initially thought you meant  I would need two LokSound V4 XL at around £199 each ??? [Ouch...]

However, having done some research on the Loksound V4, they are vastly different to the bits of gear I have used previously and it appears the sound processing is so powerful they can handle two totally independent engine sounds in a single unit!

Thanks,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

maybe you should wait for the release of the XL 5. 

Recently I tried a new V5 8-pin and just as a test I was running 5 drive sounds in parallel. Worked perfectly and flawless.

Only limitation is that you will have the same sound on both speakers (if you want to use 2 of them).

Wolf

Hi all,

thanks for all the info, I've emailed dckits and I will see how it goes from there;

sunbeam20 - I found the American dual engine stuff, that's how I discovered a single decoder can handle two separate sets of engine sounds.

[Examples on here: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/esuloksounddualprimemoversoundfiles.html ]

Rob.

On 12/02/2019 at 08:03, RobjUK said:

Hi all,

thanks for all the info, I've emailed dckits and I will see how it goes from there;

sunbeam20 - I found the American dual engine stuff, that's how I discovered a single decoder can handle two separate sets of engine sounds.

[Examples on here: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/esuloksounddualprimemoversoundfiles.html ]

Rob.

Reply sent.   Charlie