Badgers Bottom

kes

Having in filled the top of the platform with hardboard, glued in with pva and weighted down with anything to hand I now have a flat surface to work with. So out with the cereal packets, slicing them into 14mm wide strips, and scribing them to represent stone flags. They are glued down with more pva, and are awaiting painting with acrylics.

IMG_20200528_122609.jpg

IMG_20200528_122616.jpg

IMG_20200528_122638.jpg

IMG_20200528_122653.jpg

IMG_20200531_160651.jpg

• Like 5

The platforms have now had a couple of coats of thinned emulsion paints applied. This soaks into the card and allows the texture to be seen.

IMG_20210417_100637.jpg

Edited by kes
  • Like 5

I have started work on a water tower, made in the best Allan Downes style, from an aerosol lid, some wooden dowel, brass rod, and a few washers.

IMG_20200604_141920.jpg

IMG_20200605_124857.jpg

Edited by kes
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, kes said:

The layout finally has a name - Badger's Bottom. It was suggested by Maggie after we had a badger in the garden!

Do I not recall Barry Humphries in Private Eye talking of having a mouth like a badger's bum about 50 years ago?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

There's some excellent work here. I wish I'd got the talent/patience.

I note you have a garden set up. Is there a thread on here about it?

Hi Ray, the garden railway loop is on RM web in 7mm scale, as The Garden Railway. I don't know how to link it from this post! It is a very slow build as I get distracted by other layouts, but it does work and gives me a 3/4 scale mile continuous run to allow the engines to stretch their legs a bit.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I made a few of the details to affix to the water tower. It now has the rising main (aluminium wire), ladder, brass, and the operating rods and chains attached. The banding around the tank is plasticard strip, and the water bag is a length of sheathing from CAT5 computer cable. It still needs rivets adding, the stay to hold the chain from the spout and a drain making up.

IMG_20200605_133912.jpg

IMG_20200605_133922.jpg

Edited by kes
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

The water tower has now been primed and given the base coats of light and dark stone. I am making a fire devil out of a piece of 15mm copper tube, a plastic rod and some tooth picks.  Pictures to follow. The chains have been blackened with a chemical agent.

IMG_20210417_100637.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that progress is slow with this layout, it is a long term project and progresses when I get the urge. The big problem is I find myself going in the shed and shunting a few trains and wagons for an hour or two!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, kes said:

Sorry that progress is slow with this layout, it is a long term project and progresses when I get the urge. The big problem is I find myself going in the shed and shunting a few trains and wagons for an hour or two!

It's a common problem that affects all model railway builds I'm afraid, but don't feel sorry for it as it lets you make sure that everything works without going too far down the road. I find that it also gives one ideas for further scenic developments. Excellent work so far by the way :clapping:

I finally did a bit more modelling yesterday, whilst it was wet, rather than playing trains. In my vast collection of bits and pieces I found 2 wooden wagon bodies, some w irons, wheels, buffer shanks, rocket sticks and lolly sticks, so I created a GWR 5 plank open, and I am working on a GWR 4 plank open. 

IMG_20200712_105904.jpg

IMG_20200712_105931.jpg

IMG_20200712_105941.jpg

IMG_20200713_105601.jpg

IMG_20200713_105615.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1