Badgers Bottom

kes

The body was reduced in height to 5 planks with a razor saw. It is now awaiting brakes on one side only.

also needed another brake van, and quite like the short AA7 vans, so built one out of a shortened van chassis and scribed plasticard body.

IMG_20200630_135128.jpg

IMG_20200630_135243.jpg

Edited by kes
out of focus
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

With the bad weather I have been cutting up and gluing on approximately 600 cosmetic chairs to my home made points. This raised an unusual health problem. Because the weather was wet, I had the shed door shut during my 3 hour sessions super gluing the chairs on. I found I started wheezing late at night, and being mildly asthmatic started using my inhaler more and more. Eventually I stumbled on the fact that superglue fumes can affect asthmatics quite badly. I have since made sure the door is wedged open and one of the windows is open. I have made a full recovery and not suffered any further symptoms. I can only think that being close to the sleepers with my face, whilst gluing, resulted in a concentrated dose of fumes. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

All the cosmetic chairs (600+) have now been cut in half, trimmed, and shortened and glued on the sleepers. They are 4 bolt Slater's ones. Next I will be adding fishplates made out of 10 thou plastic sheet, embossed with a darning needle to represent the bolts. My experiments have been promising, I will post photos when I attach them.

IMG_20200824_132316.jpg

IMG_20200824_132450.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Amanda. Standard water pipe is sold as 32mm internal, which is 34.5mm external diameter. 40mm is 43mm external and 50mm is 56 mm ext diameter. The pipe needs aggressive solvent like plasticweld. The 34.5 mm pipe scales out at about 5 foot diameter. I start with a drawing showing the dimensions from a book or off the net. I scan this then enlarge it on the printer until a known measurement scales up to full size for 7mm scale. i.e 8'  equals 56mm. I then use the drawing with a pair of digital calipers to transfer the measurement to plastic sheet. You could pritt stick the drawing to the sheet and cut out parts directly. As you like building plastic wagon kits, have a look at the individual bits before you assemble them. You should be able to work out how you can replicate the moulding by gluing flat plastic together, and filing it.  I always keep an eye out for plastic rod, tubes, bottles which I can use.Best wishes, Kevin

IMG_20200906_113902.jpg

IMG_20200910_140710.jpg

Edited by kes
missing

• RMweb Premium

It looks very well. Folks look at the boiler top and expect to see a slope, and as you say, the side tanks cover the rest very nicely. I’m thinking of doing some building in plastikard myself,and finding really good examples in what you’re doing.

15 hours ago, WM183 said:

Might I ask where you found that drawing?  I've been looking for a 56xx plan for some time. 

I searched on Google for 56xxx drawing, then went to images. A good site is greatwestern.org and follow the links to locomotive drawing layouts. If you click on the loco name it opens a drawing.

Kevin.

On 11/09/2020 at 23:36, kes said:

Hi, with this one as much of the boiler is hidden by the big side tanks I cheated and used two parallel sections of tube. On a Stanier mogul I rolled the boiler from a cone of plasticard.

Here are some photos of the boiler resting on the loco so you can judge whether the result is acceptable. Cheers. Kevin.

IMG_20200913_114614.jpg

IMG_20200913_114642.jpg

IMG_20201021_114456.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

There has been slow progress recently whilst I have been solving an engine management problem on our car. The 56xx now has a recessed bunker made by cutting out a section with a razor saw, and cutting a slice out of a suitable platic tube, which was glued into the hole. The engine looks more balanced with the larger bunker.

IMG_20200919_112317.jpg

IMG_20200919_112328.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got away from the distractions and added some more detail to the 56xx. It now has tank fillers, steps, injectors, handrails, sandboxes. Still more to do on the body.

IMG_20201021_114500.jpg

IMG_20201021_114530.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Amazing job Kes, inspiring to see what can be done in plastic card.

I have a Slater's 1F with round top boiler.  To be relevant for my era (1962) it needs a Belpaire (I think there was only maybe 1 left by then).  Perhaps I can do it in plastic.

John

Hi John, it would be quite easy to fabricate a fire box out of plasticard. Do it as a box, and reinforce the insides of the joints with more plasticard, then when it is set hard you can file and sand the radii. Washout plugs can be drilled through and then thin sheet added on the inside, which can have smaller holes drilled in to insert bits of wire for the plug heads.  Kevin.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally managed with a fan heater to get the shed warm enough to spray the 56xx. Maggie said I could not do it in the house!  A couple of coats of Humbrol enamel green, then when dry Ronseal satin varnish. I don't think there is going to much more progress outdoors this year. The photos were taken at 7 degrees centigrade.  The engine needs weathering down as the green is a bit bright at the moment. 

IMG_20201122_091927.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 months later...

Hello again, it seems like forever since I was able to get into the shed, but I am back. Today I spray painted the track using my air brush and some dark brown/black enamels. I will post some photos shortly. I also have just received 4kg of 2mm limestone ballast, from Ebay after Hermes "lost it" for four days. Should keep me busy.

points1.jpg

points2.jpg

Edited by kes
added photos
  • Like 1