Badgers Bottom

kes

• 3 months later...

After a long gap so I could fine tune the layout, I have started ballasting using medium granite ballast from a guy on Ebay. The particles are around 2mm which is about right for 3-4" lumps of ballast. It is stuck down with the usual pva/water/washing up liquid mix. Only 4 more boards to go then it will be lightly weathered with the airbrush.

Edited by kes
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Recently Maggie and I went away to Flamborough for a few days in the motorhome, and I always take something model railway oriented with me to assemble in the evenings. This time it was an Ian Kirk Collett suburban. I use a gig made from some wooden offcuts to align the side sections. Once I got home, I completed the bogies and most of the body details. So shortly I should finally have my B set complete.

IMG_20200502_135151.jpg

IMG_20200502_140720.jpg

IMG_20200510_094114.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest, what tools do you manage to get by with when away? I'm in between homes but have been thinking I need to dig out some basics from storage for my sanity!

There was an unusual B set on the Looe branch which had grab handles and flush guards doors but were composites rather than thirds and I'm thinking of bodging a pair from the Kirk kits. Cant really go wrong at the price.

Hi Hal, I usually take an old shoe box with me containing a scalpel or knife, a pack of swiss files, a razor saw, a sheet of sand paper, a small brush, a container of solvent, some superglue, tweezers, and these days a magnifier! I also have an off cut of hard board in the van so I don't mark the table. I have a small stone holder, meant to hold a night light candle, which is ideal for keeping the solvent bottle upright. A selection of pin vices and a range of drills from 0.5mm up to 2mm seem to do most jobs. This might sound like a lot, but they all fit in the shoebox, so keeping the van tidy. The Kirk kits are ideal if you don't mind the cutting and filing, and you can add as much or as little extra detail as you want.

Edited by kes
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally got around to putting some paint on the second D98 brake compo. The cream was enamel and air brushed, the brown was acrylic and brushed on. The lining is beige enamel applied with a bow pen, and the black was a 0.2mm permenant fine liner. The grab handles are from bent staples. I now have to cut out about 42 windows and glue them in. The coach is a Ian Kirk kit. The trouble is, I keep playing trains, and then I don't get much construction done!

d981.jpg

d982.jpg

d983.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks John for the kind words. I have one more, a Gresley suburban to make over the winter to bring my tally to 2 x LMS period 2 Suburbans, 5 x Gresley suburbans, and 2 x Collett suburbans. The I can start on the Connoisseur Brass 6 wheelers I bought 10 years ago.

You'll be busy then.  I might have mentioned I did the Kirk Gresley 52' BG which I am very pleased with.  I have two Gresley corridor coaches started, also 52' but, since I got a pair of Heljan Gresley's I'm not sure if they will progress.

On the subject of 6 wheelers, I have built a pair of 62C NBR coaches.  One is a 4 wheeled 3rd brake, the other a 6 wheeled composite.  These need me to install interiors.  There is another 3rd brake on the shelf waiting for me to shift myself.  These are for a friend with a passion for NBR.  So many distractions.

John

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Over lockdown I found an old pair of Slater's Midland 4 compo toilet sides and a pair of brass clerestory ends in my junk box, so I created a psuedo -Dean 6 wheeler from the bits. The roof is wood covered in card, the underframe has one fixed axle, one dropping centre axle and one twisting end axle. 

IMG_20200510_094220.jpg

IMG_20200510_094231.jpg

IMG_20200510_094248.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 8

Last Christmas, my wife bought me a couple of laser cut kits from Lasercut Railway Models (www.lasercutrailwaymodels.com) of a small station building, and a small signalbox. This Christmas I finally got around to building the station. The fit of the parts is very good, I used pva to assemble the parts, and acrylics to brush paint them. I added internal walls out of laminated cereal box, and moved the chimneys to a more believable position as they have two flues in each stack. I need to make some downpipes out of copper wire, and add some station signs. The door handle knobs are dress makers pins donated by Maggie. I think these kist are very good value for money. You can add as much detail as you want.

IMG_20220102_112110.jpg

IMG_20220116_101653.jpg

IMG_20220116_101624.jpg

Edited by kes
corrected wrong photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have been following your build with interest….I am starting out in O gauge and I am attempting a similar subject in a slightly smaller space.

I have the same station building and a small signal box from the same manufacturer. I would echo your thoughts on them….very good value for money. Good tip on the chimney positions.

look forward to following your progress.

Regards,

James 

• 3 months later...

I thought I would add a quick update of where I am with this layout, and add a few photos. The signal box and station building are now externally complete, I have built a telephone box, and I am currently assembling a Victorian cast iron urinal to go on the platform.

IMG_20220102_112121.jpg

IMG_20220118_102842.jpg

IMG_20220330_133248.jpg

IMG_20220422_113026.jpg

• Like 11

I have some Peco station lamps and seats to assemble, and I need to make a running in board. After that I need to build the signals (Peco/MSE hybrids) then assemble the bridge which screens the traverser. Now the warmer days are here the layout is progressing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whilst the weather has been bad I have built, painted and positioned the Peco station lamps and seats. I decided not to bother illuminating them as the layout is a daytime scene. I also built and painted the Duncan Models victorian urinal, adding a suitable figure inside.

IMG_20220604_115538.jpg

IMG_20220604_115604.jpg

IMG_20220604_115754.jpg

Edited by kes
Photos failed to load correctly
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...