Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant.

i didnt see this one coming. I had my first experience of the Cale Sleeper a month or so back, and was given literature onboard regarding the new sleeper stock...

I am thrilled about the class 92 to pull it, i’d lost all hope of a DJ version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I only purchased a Dapol class 68 in TPE livery yesterday at Doncaster, and what a beautiful model it is! I asked about the carriages, and the guy I spoke with, from Rails, said you never know, the carriages might turn up one day. That one day is not so far away today compared to yesterday. 

What a delightful end to a typical Monday!

I look forward to the Mk5a carriages with the greatest of anticipation. The train will soon be complete, and I know it will be to such a very high standard.

Thank you to all concerned. I will sleep contentedly tonight.

Best regards,

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 071 said:

....     Although the Mk5 and Mk5a vehicles share many design features and common components, there are also significant differences - primarily the Caledonian Sleeper vehicles are slightly wider to offer more room in the side corridor.  .....

As someone totally ignorant of the Mark 5/5a coaches, why did they make one thinner than the other, presumably the wider one is still within the standard loading gauge ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

It's all about the kinematic envelope.  You can make them fatter, as long as you also make them shorter.

So my understanding is that the Caledonian Sleeper coaches are slightly wider and shorter than those operated by TPE.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi Phil,

It's all about the kinematic envelope.  You can make them fatter, as long as you also make them shorter.

So my understanding is that the Caledonian Sleeper coaches are slightly wider and shorter than those operated by TPE.

cheers

Ben A.

May just be me imagining things, but seem to remember a comment that the CS Mk5s are shorter to allow a full rake of 16 to fit in the platforms at Euston. The current rake is 16, but remember that Mk2s are shorter than Mk3s. 16 Mk3 (or other 23m vehicles) would not fit IIRC.

May well be wrong...

Also many thanks for announcing these (and the 92s), I think a Mk5a set will have to grace Bank Quay at some point. 

• Like 1

Had a bit of a smile to myself when I saw this news.  For the last few days, Facebook forums have been awash with Dapols TPE 68, all with nothing to pull.  Fast forward a few days.......  With the Dapols TPE 68 now selling out in some places, seems the chaps are Accurascale are going to be well blessed with pre orders.   Congratulations, I hope these and the 92 will be a success for you.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Had a bit of a smile to myself when I saw this news.  For the last few days, Facebook forums have been awash with Dapols TPE 68, all with nothing to pull.  Fast forward a few days.......  With the Dapols TPE 68 now selling out in some places, seems the chaps are Accurascale are going to be well blessed with pre orders.   Congratulations, I hope these and the 92 will be a success for you.

They’re selling out already? Wow! 

(Joel, if you’re reading, send on that sales commission Cheque to Dublin haha) 

thanks for the well wishes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, 071 said:

I just purchased a Dapol TPE 68 about 30mins ago off Rails, before today I had no intention of getting one so there you go...and yes will purchase your TPE Set to go with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I just purchased a Dapol TPE 68 about 30mins ago off Rails, before today I had no intention of getting one so there you go...and yes will purchase your TPE Set to go with it.

We will send an apology to your bank manager in the morning!

cheers!

Fran

• Funny 4

@adb968008

I assume the photo was of a unit destined for the AUS/NZ market if the destination blind is to be believed ;) ...........

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_02/IMG_6381a.jpg.5fe316a6bda3d55766760bc0c24d6f17.jpg

Cheers,

Philip

PS: Why is it that way anyway?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 071 said:

At Doncaster, I was suggested to me that Rails had tried to get more of the TPE 68s from Dapol, to be told that there were none left. So yes; it appears they’ve been popular..!

I was wondering what to do with mine, and you’ve given me the answer... :-)

Great stuff!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, 071 said:

Accurascale and Revolution Trains are teaming up to produce Mk5 coaches in 00 and N gauge.

Congrats guys. Great choice. Looks like there is hope for Irish Rail CAF Mk4 sets with a DVT in the future. :) At long last the Intercity MM 201s will have something proper to haul or push. :)