Mark 5, By Accurascale

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes that's what I thought (and my opinion on the subject too) I was just getting people's opinions on it.

Yeah there are obviously other factors (innovation, quality & range) as well on a collective & individual basis but as I've mentioned previously I think their customer service & interaction is first class not just here on RMWeb, don't do Facebook thus cannot comment but I'm sure it isn't any different.

A good example based on my own personal experience with AS was on their own website via chat & email when I managed to procure the Castle Cement PCA's after missing out on them on pre-order & soon after release but the packs had become available from exhibitions and I was made aware of them and thus purchased but the interaction to do that until payment again was first class.

If AS keep up what they're doing I'm sure they'll win numerous industry awards in the future and have a very solid and wider customer base to start rivaling the bigger players.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2020 at 11:16, TomScrut said:

It is quite interesting to see that the delays are being accepted as OK in this regard whereas other companies get slated for being late. Is this because AS are good at communicating about it? As in actually telling us about it rather than announcing stuff and then 4 years later we are wondering where it is?

I’m a wee bit disappointed to be honest . Brutus is still waiting patiently for its train. But I know that when they arrive they will be great models, so really looking forward to the TPE mk5s .  I think the key is good communication . The guys at Accurascale are pretty open about progress whereas Bachmann announce something and it disappears into an abyss . I’m referring to the Caley  812, but could equally be talking about Class 170 Turbostars . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’m a wee bit disappointed to be honest . Brutus is still waiting patiently for its train. But I know that when they arrive they will be great models, so really looking forward to the TPE mk5s .  I think the key is good communication . The guys at Accurascale are pretty open about progress whereas Bachmann announce something and it disappears into an abyss . I’m referring to the Caley  812, but could equally be talking about Class 170 Turbostars . 

It could be worse, many years ago now C&M commissioned a run of Scottish and ScotRail liveried Mk3s (March 2013) in anticipation of Farish releasing the 47/7 and DBSO, those wanting a Scottish Push Pull must have been in their element. 

They've had the Mk3s, they got their 47/7s something like late 2016 (2 years later than planned) and then waited and waited and are still waiting for the DBSO to arrive - though they are now close....

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Very nice shots. 

I only have a DRS 68 so wouldn't really do it justice to run without a TPE 68. 

But keep manufacturing the modern stuff! 

As soon as you make something for me, I'm in there!

If you have a DRS 68034 then it's prototypical to push/pull the TPE set thus you'll be fine.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, classy52 said:

If you have a DRS 68034 then it's prototypical to push/pull the TPE set thus you'll be fine.

Yes, when 68019 was hard to come by and no further TPEs were announced it was a good theoretical combination (i.e. we knew they were compatible but had not happened yet) but in recent times has been happening which is even better!

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’m a wee bit disappointed to be honest . Brutus is still waiting patiently for its train.

Yeah if I had 019 I'd be disappointed. I am waiting for 023 and 032 which are coming back end (and 023 might be cancelled yet for me although I doubt it) so they won't have that long a wait anyway.

On 22/08/2020 at 06:16, TomScrut said:

It is quite interesting to see that the delays are being accepted as OK in this regard whereas other companies get slated for being late. Is this because AS are good at communicating about it? As in actually telling us about it rather than announcing stuff and then 4 years later we are wondering where it is?

Communication certainly helps, but it perhaps also worth remembering that these models were only announced around 18 months ago (February 2019) and even with the latest delay will still only be around 2 years from announcement - something that even if it doesn't meet what Accurascale want in a time frame is a reasonable time period for a complex new model.

Now if it was 4 or 5 years the reaction might well be different...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

On 24/08/2020 at 14:52, mdvle said:

Communication certainly helps, but it perhaps also worth remembering that these models were only announced around 18 months ago (February 2019) and even with the latest delay will still only be around 2 years from announcement - something that even if it doesn't meet what Accurascale want in a time frame is a reasonable time period for a complex new model.

Now if it was 4 or 5 years the reaction might well be different...

I think Accurascale should be given credit where it is due.  They have said that the Mk5 has been a steep learning curve, and to their credit have not compromised, but continued with this ambitious project, to their exacting standards. 

Result - Modellers will get a superb replica of the Mk5, whilst future models will no doubt benefit from the lessons learnt.

Best Wishes,

C.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you for the update Accurascale. 

The amount of detailing on these coaches is incredible. That coupled with the 'flicker free' lighting throughout is going to make an already incredible rake of coaches even more impressive. 

Waiting a few more months for the MK5s is fine. I am sure that they will be well worth the wait. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2020 at 21:11, dogbox321 said:

I think Accurascale should be given credit where it is due.  They have said that the Mk5 has been a steep learning curve, and to their credit have not compromised, but continued with this ambitious project, to their exacting standards. 

Result - Modellers will get a superb replica of the Mk5, whilst future models will no doubt benefit from the lessons learnt.

Indeed!

I'm sure there have been manufacturers recently that have decided to withdraw their models when they came to a bump, or even a huge mountain of a problem.

While not knowing the ins and outs of those, I am glad, even though I'm not in the market for these, that Accurascale are continuing.  I may be convinced to pick a set up as time progresses.

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Are the TP mk5’s operated in fixed sets ?

or do they drop in / out coaches ?

is there anywhere documented the formations ?

I'm pretty sure they are fixed sets, but there is 1 spare driving coach IIRC.

I'm pretty sure my Rail Guide (2020 edition) has the formations/numbers in it.

Edit, yes it does and it also confirms 1 spare. I won't share it on here as I aren't typing it out and I aren't sure how photographing the inside of a book is with respect to copyright. This is the book in question though.

20200919_120904.jpg.f37c034af7b6d5728466cb527f60259c.jpg

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Are the TP mk5’s operated in fixed sets ?

or do they drop in / out coaches ?

Don't quote me on this, but from what I know each TPXX works as a set continually. I am sure their are x13 sets known as TP01-TP13, each rake contains five coaches, with x4 MK5s and a DT (Driver Trailer). Obviously coaches and DTs have individual numbers and identities. At the moment because only x3 or x4 sets are required per day their shouldn't be any need to remove coaches from sets and I don't believe their has been so far, given that their will be x9 or x10 other sets available. That's not to say swopping of set coaches can't and won't happen in the future though, especially as more sets are required in traffic. As far as I'm aware I don't know of any particular site that lists the contents of each rake of TPE MK5s, although I could be wrong. 

EDIT: Their are x52 TPE MK5 coaches and x14 DTs with one acting as a spare. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
To add additional information
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

There are huge difficulties in producing new rolling stock models that, to all intents and purposes, are in parallel development to the actual prototypes, as I found out when researching for the development of the Hitachi Class 80xxxx and the Mk.3SD coaches. So many design elements are changed during the process, and then testing will also result in last minute changes, which can mean that CAD and tooling has to be changed at the eleventh hour to keep the models authentic.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

In addition to the information already posted, as I understand it these are the planned booked formations.

Note, not all TP sets have been in public service yet and neither has the spare Driving Open Brake Standard 12814.

TransPennine Express Mark5A set formations.pdf

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks thats brilliant, ive seen a few of these, But only had 1 number from each, assuming they were fixed sets. My 2020 plat 5 drew a blank.

my first encounter being at Carlilse with the destination of Glasgow Central upside down.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know, the only way to identify the set number (TP01-13) is from the coach numbers - no separate set number being shown externally.

Fortunately the last two digits of coaches A and E correspond to the set number - unless the spare DOBS 12814 is in use of course!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Would love to get a Sleeper set but as there is no 73/9 to pull it, I’ll have to leave it. Really only wanting the Fort William set for a wee side project. Shame really. 

Yeah I'd expect most people running the CS mk5s will be using AS 92s. If I get some I will be using my 92 for "ECML divert" which happens a few times a year.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Would love to get a Sleeper set but as there is no 73/9 to pull it, I’ll have to leave it. Really only wanting the Fort William set for a wee side project. Shame really. 

I know it's a pain not having a Class 37/9 available, but for the short term until someone releases one, get a Hornby or even a Lima one as I think their the same moulding and repaint it in CS livery.  I know it's not correct but it would do for the short term.

18 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Maybe but the appeal of the shorter Aberdeen and Fort William sets for folk with smaller layouts would mean they have no traction for it. Even the 8 coach Inverness set would require locos. Even if a dummy was done (highly unlikely of or obvious reasons) then at least you pull it with a 66 as it has been fairly regularly up here. 

That depends if you're that bothered about running a prototypical length train. I definitely wont be running prototypical length, it will be one or two packs if I get them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

I can imagine these are going to be very popular.
Reminds me of the London Underground units.  Didn't seem popular but all of a sudden sold out.  Now worth in the region of £1000 for the 4-car set.  £100 each for the centre cars.

I'm still umming and arring about these as I'm having a bit of FOMO about them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

There are significant differences in the /9 that prevents a quick conversion or repaint job. Would require a complete retool or all new model. As I say, shame it’s a missing link in the modern Scottish scene given the spread of operation within the region. 

has never stopped Hornby in the past.

i’d imagine a few would buy it too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Very true 

However, my inbox has been filled with an email from KMS about expression of interest in 73/9! Time to put money where my mouth is. 

I just came here to tell you! You maybe ought to have a go on the lottery next week....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1