Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Sorry, I do have one question on these.

Will they be available from retailers or is just Accurascale direct?

Simon

HI.

Just been on the Olivia's Trains website, (no connection), and they have sections advertising the AS products......... It's a bit of a bone of contention on another posting about the AS KUA's in OO gauge.

Stop press : Hattons do as well (no connection)

Unless you have a specific reason for buying off a retailer, why not buy off the guys who have had them made ? (As I am doing)

Edited by pylonman

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Sorry, I do have one question on these.

Will they be available from retailers or is just Accurascale direct?

Simon

A full list of accurascale stockists can be explored at: https://accurascale.co.uk/pages/store-locator

However the Mark 5 range isn't currently available via retailers due to legacy issues (basically the range predates plans to work with retail)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the info on retailers, more than happy about ordering from Accurascale!

I'm very close to ordering the Fort William Caledonian Rake to run between a pair of Rail Adventure Barrier Wagons as a set being taken from the Chanel Tunnel to Eastleigh for commissioning / testing (I know totally implausible, but not impossible!), simply because these models are models I want and I would like to have an excuse to run them on the layout rather than sit in a display case (I would really really like the TPE set, but I can't find even a tenuous reason for them to end up in Fareham!).

I do have one technical question. My layout has train detection on it for my signalling system, and for that to function, I need something to draw a current from at least one axle per bogie, either via a decoder, lighting or a resistor across the axle. With these models that would normally come from the lighting as fitted, but if I am running them with all lights off, is there still something that would draw a current to make train detection sections 'see' the coaches? I don't see an obvious place to fit an resistor on those beautiful bogies?

Simon

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

do have one technical question. My layout has train detection on it for my signalling system, and for that to function, I need something to draw a current from at least one axle per bogie, either via a decoder, lighting or a resistor across the axle. With these models that would normally come from the lighting as fitted, but if I am running them with all lights off, is there still something that would draw a current to make train detection sections 'see' the coaches? I don't see an obvious place to fit an resistor on those beautiful bogies?

Simon

The coaches all have lighting and a super capacitor bank on board. Even with the lights off the circuit should draw a detectable amount of power. 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, McC said:

The coaches all have lighting and a super capacitor bank on board. Even with the lights off the circuit should draw a detectable amount of power. 

Fantastic, I thought there would be something to draw current, but thought I’d better check!

Simon

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 15:21, rob D2 said:

These look extremely good value especially compared with much older tooling  of coaches from another manufacturer .

don't mention another manufacturer you will get told that it's wrong to do and don't mention the price thats enough to get you shot

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After seeing the model TPE sets looking very good and having seen photos of test runs up to Carlisle of the real thing getting a set has become too tempting. Despite technically being too modern for what was going to be my cut off period I’ve a class 68 on its way from Crafty Hobbies in Barrow so an order for a set of coaches is going in to go with it.

The MK5’s look like another fabulous model and once that 73/9 gets confirmed I’ll be up for a sleeper set for Rannoch.

All the best

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 21/01/2021 at 12:35, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Gary,

Not at the moment due to lockdown restrictions sadly, but in time when this dreadful virus eases we will certainly put something together! 

Hi Al,

Pick up is from the track, with a nice big juicy capacitor in each coach to keep them flicker free as much as possible.

Cheers!

Fran 

No worries at all Fran thanks for getting back to me. I forgot about about you guys also being in lock down aswell. And like you say hopefully things will ease soon. 

Stay well and safe.

Gary 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Adamphillip said:

I would have made them magnetic, was this ever on the table?

the magnets would need to be fractions of a mm in diameter and at the moment there is no clean and reliable way to bond neodymium to the plastics used to ensure compliance with safety regulations unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If i have done my research correctly then the lower half of the image shows the current contents of each pack & the formation of each of the 4 trains. 

Not sure if i got the correct 2 coaches from pack 2 in the Highlander formation

I had a quick look through the 27 pages & the only formation information I found was for the Lowlander & Highlander Trains which only shows the Class 92 & 16 coaches from London (top half of image, if I recall correctly the contents pack 2 was changed earlier to refelect the current formation of the Fort William train)

What i would like to know is what locos would be correct for each of the 3 trains north of Glasgow

1214140614_ConsistMk5CS.png.06651b7cbd1252d106b84d986e935fb2.png

John

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, John ks said:

If i have done my research correctly then the lower half of the image shows the current contents of each pack & the formation of each of the 4 trains. 

Not sure if i got the correct 2 coaches from pack 2 in the Highlander formation

I had a quick look through the 27 pages & the only formation information I found was for the Lowlander & Highlander Trains which only shows the Class 92 & 16 coaches from London (top half of image, if I recall correctly the contents pack 2 was changed earlier to refelect the current formation of the Fort William train)

What i would like to know is what locos would be correct for each of the 3 trains north of Glasgow

1214140614_ConsistMk5CS.png.06651b7cbd1252d106b84d986e935fb2.png

John

You would be looking at KMS Railtech/Accurascale's expression of interest to produce the 73/9's as the sleeper is now hauled by re-engined class 73 locomotives, the 73's that are used on the sleeper are 73966-73971. They have had the 3rd Rail gear removed as they won't need it in the Highlands. 

Please find the link to the RM Web thread;

Edited by XChris
Link missing
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XChris said:

You would be looking at KMS Railtech/Accurascale's expression of interest to produce the 73/9's

XChris

Thanks for the info

I did know about the 73/9 & have shown an expression of interest

I didn't realise that the 73/9's were used on all 3 trains north of Glasgow 

I did a bit more research & found the Highlander split portions on RevolutioN's site

I have changed the image to reflect what i now believe to be correct

Looks like i need 3 Cl 73/9's

205880857_ConsistMk5CSv2.png.480b6e0030cee231868451282474efaf.png

John

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John ks said:

XChris

Thanks for the info

I did know about the 73/9 & have shown an expression of interest

I didn't realise that the 73/9's were used on all 3 trains north of Glasgow 

I did a bit more research & found the Highlander split portions on RevolutioN's site

I have changed the image to reflect what i now believe to be correct

Looks like i need 3 Cl 73/9's

205880857_ConsistMk5CSv2.png.480b6e0030cee231868451282474efaf.png

John

Hello John,

That's correct, with the caveat that (AIUI) the split of vehicles between Aberdeen and Fort William is seasonal; in summer, when demand is higher, the Fort William section is 6 coach and Aberdeen 4 coach.

Having said that, last summer - which would've been the first full summer of Mk5 operations - was impacted by Covid and many of the sleeper trains ran with truncated formations.

You'll stilll need three 73/9s though!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dont know if this has been discussed before on the thread but running the TPE set with the Dapol 68 on DCC is the DVT addressed to locos to work lighting for direction?

Have you had any collaboration with Dapol for this? Any news on the TPE sets please?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Dont know if this has been discussed before on the thread but running the TPE set with the Dapol 68 on DCC is the DVT addressed to locos to work lighting for direction?

Have you had any collaboration with Dapol for this? Any news on the TPE sets please?

Hi @ERIC ALLTORQUE,

If you put a chip inside the set you will have full separate control over lights for direction. This will be separate to the loco decoder.

We are currently await decorated samples of the coaches from the factory and tooling improvements from the factory. Once they are complete we will provide a full update as always.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2