Mark 5, By Accurascale

9 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

This is one of the many things that were modified before coming into squadron service we were keen not to get tripped up on, but almost were. It's a good demonstration of how wrong things can get when making a model of a new prototype before receiving modifications and why we had to take our time to capture them and get it right. Rushing them out would've had coaches with details quite different in areas to the coaches as they now are in service. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Quite right too!

I can't wait to see the decorated samples next week! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

This is one of the many things that were modified before coming into squadron service we were keen not to get tripped up on, but almost were. It's a good demonstration of how wrong things can get when making a model of a new prototype before receiving modifications and why we had to take our time to capture them and get it right. Rushing them out would've had coaches with details quite different in areas to the coaches as they now are in service. 

Cheers!

Fran 

B*gger.  I wanted to model a set straight off the boat and onto test - before the wiper was modified.

Goes to cancel pre-order..........................

:P

• Funny 15

9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Looking forward to seeing these and now that the wipers are correct does that mean we can run them in the rain,the garden railways will be so much better now.

Are they DCC operated? Can we set the wipe speed?

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian_B said:

Are they DCC operated? Can we set the wipe speed?

Accurascale let us down on this detail, unfortunately they are only two speed…..no intermittent wipe available :notme:

• Funny 4

44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Accurascale let us down on this detail, unfortunately they are only two speed…..no intermittent wipe available :notme:

That's a deal breaker for me, I'll have to order a set just so that I can cancel my order in disgust!

Roddy

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks for sharing Fran.

Is there a happy ending with the TPE painting?

Those corridor connectors - how are they performing on tighter curves - not pushing each other off?

Al.

Hi Al,

Many thanks!

As explained in the update, we will know of the happy ending with the TPEs in approx 8 weeks time. As for the corridor connections, they will perform perfectly to radius 3 with our close couplings, and the tension locks will push them a bit further away for radius 2.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The Caledonian Sleeper coaches look rather special. As a real life ( what’s that ? ) passenger I’m booked on both northbound and southbound Deerstalker in Classic cabin….with shower ! …at the end of September. My destination will be Rannoch Station ,one of the most isolated main line stations in the UK. So I’ll check it out for you..

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the update which, as usual, makes for an interesting read. The Caledonian examples look very good indeed, even before the minor improvements are made.

I wish all the best to the team at the factory. I can quite understand their frustration with the TPE models. These were always going to be a challenge, given the livery complexity, but I have complete confidence that the problems will be sorted out. You only have to look at your current catalogue as testament to your standards and dedication within the industry. Whilst the delays and setbacks are frustrating, it is perfectly understandable and I’m sure by and large, the vast majority of folk will be supportive.

My Class 68 will just have to wait at the depot just that little bit longer. :read:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

All I can say is WOW! These vehicles look exquisite!

Re TPE livery - presumably if Dapol managed it on their Class 68s it IS possible. But obviously you are using a different factory, and are a different entity to Dapol. A shame there isn't scope for partnership between Accurascale and Dapol, given that the Mk5s will need 68s and vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

they will perform perfectly to radius 3 with our close couplings, and the tension locks will push them a bit further away for radius 2.

I see some track remodelling coming up then to make best use of them! I have like 3 R2 places on my layout and none of them I can really ban these from.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

All I can say is WOW! These vehicles look exquisite!

Re TPE livery - presumably if Dapol managed it on their Class 68s it IS possible. But obviously you are using a different factory, and are a different entity to Dapol. A shame there isn't scope for partnership between Accurascale and Dapol, given that the Mk5s will need 68s and vice versa.

Thanks @G-BOAF

The one issue with the TPE paint job is the complexity of curves on the DT nose. The factory believes that this is the main culprit. It might be a bit of an ugly duckling, but my word does it have some complex curves going on!

Cheers!

Fran  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Well the update was too big for the milkfloat, so it's now on our blog! Finally, an all new Mark 5 update including decorated samples. Check out what's been going on with both the Caledonian Sleepers and the TPE Mark 5s with lots more images and the full news story in our latest blog: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/sweet-dreams-are-made-of-these-decorated-mark-5s 

1831388751_2(22).jpg.ae98be05b818d05b434d1f49eb5d72bf.jpg

160590861_7(15).jpg.ed6a74a19c73ed8c57a0e0796c5813a2.jpg

15.jpg.fa386d1c7b52b3fc9b4bfdf8007794d1.jpg

2039803947_4(23).jpg.ecee6ded1b0c84ca331d11d8b2d2d249.jpg

(Please read the blog, it has all the info and took me ages to write it!)

Cheers,

Fran 

Hi Fran the mk5s do look truly great and im sure it's been frustrating with the setbacks on the TPE mk5s aswell but they are looking great also. Has there been any thoughts in to splitting the production of mk5s up so the sleeper mk5s are with people quicker? That being said they would still need a 92 for them Will they be closer to the arrival of the 92 now? 

Regards Gary 

Edited by gary_lner
Hadnt finished post
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gary_lner said:

Hi Fran the mk5s do look truly great and im sure it's been frustrating with the setbacks on the TPE mk5s aswell but they are looking great also. Has there been any thoughts in to splitting the production of mk5s up so the sleeper mk5s are with people quicker. That being said they would still need a 92 for them 

Hi @gary_lner,

Many thanks.

Great point. We did discuss this with the factory but when we initially agreed on the production price it was for an entire production run based on one factory slot and the production lines are arranged for as such. If we split it into two the price would go up and we would have to pass that onto customers, and we're not keen to do that. It presents a bit of a catch 22 for us unfortunately. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Looking at the couplings they look to be lower than scale height 

I understand that they are at this height to keep the NEM pocket at the correct height to allow for the fitting of other couplings

I had a thought & realise that it is probably to late to retool the couplings pockets but if you were to add a second MEN pocket above the standard NEM pocket then the deliner coupling could be placed in the top pocket to be closer to scale height.

The modified pics should illustrate my idea

952347132_delinercouplingmod.png.4515d0d15ce35fc1440cfd3990014511.png

Should the diaphragm completely surrounds the couplings or not( as per you model), there are images of both arrangements

John

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The Caledonian Sleeper coaches look rather special. As a real life ( what’s that ? ) passenger I’m booked on both northbound and southbound Deerstalker in Classic cabin….with shower ! …at the end of September. My destination will be Rannoch Station ,one of the most isolated main line stations in the UK. So I’ll check it out for you..

A trip I've yet to make, as a worldwide bug altered my plans! I look forward to seeing plenty of pictures Ian, of both destination and accomodation!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, John ks said:

Looking at the couplings they look to be lower than scale height 

I understand that they are at this height to keep the NEM pocket at the correct height to allow for the fitting of other couplings

I had a thought & realise that it is probably to late to retool the couplings pockets but if you were to add a second MEN pocket above the standard NEM pocket then the deliner coupling could be placed in the top pocket to be closer to scale height.

The modified pics should illustrate my idea

952347132_delinercouplingmod.png.4515d0d15ce35fc1440cfd3990014511.png

Should the diaphragm completely surrounds the couplings or not( as per you model), there are images of both arrangements

John

Hi John,

Unfortunately the second pocket would foul the kinematic mechanism. 

The Sleeper coach diaphragm originally surrounded the couplings but this is no longer the case as it was modified for service and our model reflects service condition. Again, a modification we had to account for in development.

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Crewe

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2