Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Islesy said:

A trip I've yet to make, as a worldwide bug altered my plans! I look forward to seeing plenty of pictures Ian, of both destination and accomodation!

Not hard to guess the accommodation.I’m strictly beyond roughing it anyway. It’s my version of moment from The Thirty  Nine Steps hopefully without being shot at.. I’m doing it for the hell of it and the experience of a sleeper which will be new to me.Hotel looks the business and will meet me with breakfast at 8:40 on morning of arrival and will provide dinner before I board the southbound service at 21:10. …which means one night actually in a hotel room bed . No mobile & no internet signal. Hugely expensive and I’ve yet to find reasonable secure parking at Crewe for 

three days/nights. Must be mad But something to do before I fall off the tree.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Not hard to guess the accommodation.I’m strictly beyond roughing it anyway. It’s my version of moment from The Thirty  Nine Steps hopefully without being shot at.. I’m doing it for the hell of it and the experience of a sleeper which will be new to me.Hotel looks the business and will meet me with breakfast at 8:40 on morning of arrival and will provide dinner before I board the southbound service at 21:10. …which means one night actually in a hotel room bed . No mobile & no internet signal. Hugely expensive and I’ve yet to find reasonable secure parking at Crewe for 

It sounds eminently sane to me. I hope they have the hot water in the showers sorted out for your trip and that everyone who is supposed to meet the train with food does so. Enjoy a dram!

My one and only trip on a sleeper was in 1984. I hopped off in Carlisle to take photographs and kept an eye on the end coach from fear of being left behind. When things started to look busy, I hopped on and made my way forward only to find that I was on a rake of coaches which had been detached. I barely reached my train in time!

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Well the update was too big for the milkfloat, so it's now on our blog! Finally, an all new Mark 5 update including decorated samples. Check out what's been going on with both the Caledonian Sleepers and the TPE Mark 5s with lots more images and the full news story in our latest blog: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/sweet-dreams-are-made-of-these-decorated-mark-5s 

1831388751_2(22).jpg.ae98be05b818d05b434d1f49eb5d72bf.jpg

160590861_7(15).jpg.ed6a74a19c73ed8c57a0e0796c5813a2.jpg

15.jpg.fa386d1c7b52b3fc9b4bfdf8007794d1.jpg

2039803947_4(23).jpg.ecee6ded1b0c84ca331d11d8b2d2d249.jpg

(Please read the blog, it has all the info and took me ages to write it!)

Cheers,

Fran 

Thanks, Fran. Good news and bad news there. More breathing space for the TPEs but a shortie sleeper rake looks increasingly irresistible. That will mean a loco as well.

I wonder if anyone will acquire an eighteen coach train, a 92 and some 73s in order to carry out the shunting which goes on.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi John,

Unfortunately the second pocket would foul the kinematic mechanism. 

The Sleeper coach diaphragm originally surrounded the couplings but this is no longer the case as it was modified for service and our model reflects service condition. Again, a modification we had to account for in development.

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Crewe

Cheers!

Fran 

I was trying to figure out what was slightly off about the windows on the model but couldn't put my finger on it. But that i see this picture it is the lack of black / rubber surrounds! Feel less crazy now. 

They are great looking models though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Csalem said:

I was trying to figure out what was slightly off about the windows on the model but couldn't put my finger on it. But that i see this picture it is the lack of black / rubber surrounds! Feel less crazy now. 

They are great looking models though.

Well spotted, on the list for tweaks and corrections :)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

15.jpg.fa386d1c7b52b3fc9b4bfdf8007794d1.jpg

Well these do look the mutts nuts! I am curious though. Do you think these couplings will hold a 16 coach train going up a gradient? I guess if they can't, we can fall back on tension locks.

Cheers,

Marcus

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Marcus-Jay said:

Well these do look the mutts nuts! I am curious though. Do you think these couplings will hold a 16 coach train going up a gradient? I guess if they can't, we can fall back on tension locks.

Cheers,

Marcus

They are magnet to magnet x 2, and we're testing that extensively, but they are quite powerful :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marcus-Jay said:

Cheers,

Marcus

Now I know someone intends to run a full length train! Good on yer! Are you going to model the shunting as well? :O

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Now I know someone intends to run a full length train! Good on yer! Are you going to model the shunting as well? :O

No, but the Highland Sleeper rescuing the Lowland Sleeper on Shap would be a sight to behold :yahoo:

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Perhaps you should start a thread about the parking. Sure there must be an RMWeb member living in Crewe.

There are some streets a little way east of the station where I think that you would be safe parking on-street.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @gary_lner,

Many thanks.

Great point. We did discuss this with the factory but when we initially agreed on the production price it was for an entire production run based on one factory slot and the production lines are arranged for as such. If we split it into two the price would go up and we would have to pass that onto customers, and we're not keen to do that. It presents a bit of a catch 22 for us unfortunately. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran that makes perfect sense. Spreading the cost over the whole mk5 range to give the price we have is great.

Looking forward to seeing the tpe mk5s in the coming weeks.

Regards Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

These look stunning. I really love the teal livery and I think you have it spot on to my eyes - the key being not too bright. Speaking of bright, the lighting looks fantastic. The detail is fantastic though slightly gutted the magnetic couplers are 3rd radius only - I may need to redesign the proposed layout / move to a bigger room... I'm over the moon that you have Fort William destinations on there. Out of interest would a plan be to have Fort William on one side / London Euston on the other?

Agreed that it makes most sense to produce these alongside the TPE mk5's.

I would highlight for those who aren't aware there is an ongoing expression of interest for the Class 73/9 required to go with these. Class 73/9 Accurascale and KMS Thread do sign yourself up for 1 or 2 :)

PS Fran whats the current biggest order for these out of interest? Any complete highland / lowland rakes or even 2 of each?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi John,

Unfortunately the second pocket would foul the kinematic mechanism. 

The Sleeper coach diaphragm originally surrounded the couplings but this is no longer the case as it was modified for service and our model reflects service condition. Again, a modification we had to account for in development.

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Crewe

Cheers!

Fran 

Luckily my track circuit is too small for them, the head would be kissing the ars…..tail with a full rake…..I’ll have to make do with a Deltic in full song on a GWR branch line :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Luckily my track circuit is too small for them, the head would be kissing the ars…..tail with a full rake…..I’ll have to make do with a Deltic in full song on a GWR branch line :lol:

I’ve got a TPE set on order. Maybe have to go with a coach and the DT and leave the rest in the box! :lol:

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Well, if putting a Deltic on a GWR branch line is rule 1 enough for you why not have it pull a rake of 4 of these on tension locks? :lol:

In all seriousness one good thing about these is they are shorter than mk3s IIRC. I think about MK2 lenght but maybe somewhere in between, can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Well, if putting a Deltic on a GWR branch line is rule 1 enough for you why not have it pull a rake of 4 of these on tension locks? :lol:

In all seriousness one good thing about these is they are shorter than mk3s IIRC. I think about MK2 lenght but maybe somewhere in between, can't remember off the top of my head.

I did have a look into the lengths when I was thinking about a WCML layout, and found that a 16 coach rake of either MK5s or 12 MK3s/4 MK2s are the same length, to the metre/foot. Don’t quote me on it though.

Jack.

• Like 1

Going off Wikipedia (dangerous I know) lengths of 72' 10" for a MK5, 75' 6" for a MK3 and 64' 6" for a MK2, "new" and "classic" rakes of 16 come to a scale 15' 4" give or take an inch.

Now that’s an impressive train of MK5s. So far I’ve ordered 8 and a 92 so we’ll see how much is in the piggy bank when they come closer to being shipped…

Jack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it worth pointing out the coach numbers are black and white..

F697D637-98BC-4838-95A8-B93B2DE2EDB8.jpeg.8e49e4c221b7c5d1beea15c05bf369f9.jpeg

the EP image shows black and grey.

1435D6DE-F7F1-4774-AA22-1F43D0DA7D7B.jpeg.b0aaeb745fe552407a7c4b7865b23617.jpeg

Also not sure how far you are going regarding the black window surrounds, but the stag antler replaces/overlays the black lining of the inner glass. The black inner lining is prominent in other windows.

Below body, the dampers on the bogie / body frame fitting are grey, not blue… as are the wheels and axle stubs…

389E45B9-4F98-4C67-B21E-ABDE6C51D8C7.jpeg.af3d436404ddfa467c95551983d892ce.jpeg

Theres also a white “x” on the body, not marking a spot for the box on the underframe.

Also, maybe one for later, but the 92 and the mk5’s appear to be different interpretations of midnight teal…the mk5’s being lighter.

D1AAA282-8CCA-48BF-A88C-230B4C3961CB.jpeg.fdab50bdb2066d4e45ecfe380537c4ec.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

On 31/07/2021 at 00:10, adb968008 said:

Also, maybe one for later, but the 92 and the mk5’s appear to be different interpretations of midnight teal…the mk5’s being lighter.

Or is this perhaps due to reflection - the loco sides always being slab-sided whilst the coaches having an overall curvature?  Several (in fact most) images online may indeed suggest slightly differing shades, however there is almost always reflection involved.  The only photograph I could find that appears to show similar light reflection on both loco and stock appears to demonstrate both to be of the same hue?:

92033 at Glasgow Central

Agree though on all other comments re underframe, axleboxes, dampers etc.

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor

• Moderators
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Below body, the dampers on the bogie / body frame fitting are grey, not blue

8 hours ago, YesTor said:

Agree though on all other comments re underframe, axleboxes, dampers etc.

They are definitely dark grey, not blue; it's a reflected lighting tone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2