Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I did notice one of your coaches is destination London Euston, does this mean there is a southbound set being added to the list ?

We're evaluating the boards at the moment, to determine the best possible way of making them as useful as possible :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I did notice one of your coaches is destination London Euston, does this mean there is a southbound set being added to the list ?

One thing I did think was having northbound boards would be most beneficial, as ultimate northbound destinations are always the same as far as I am aware, whereas they run to Kings Cross on quite a regular basis don't they (and therefore a northbound set saying the destination would work for us ECML types whereas Euston screws that up)!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

One thing I did think was having northbound boards would be most beneficial, as ultimate northbound destinations are always the same as far as I am aware, whereas they run to Kings Cross on quite a regular basis don't they (and therefore a northbound set saying the destination would work for us ECML types whereas Euston screws that up)!

Kings Cross might become more frequent with HS2 construction.

8954EAB7-F7E8-4DA8-9EAB-805AA1998B80.jpeg

F1B030A5-416D-4D53-A53C-8B4B6B5B0065.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi,

As said, they look utterly fantastic, quite excited about them now!

One question, I notice that on the night time picture, it appears that the CDL Light is illuminated, is that just an illusion or is it operational, and if so, how controllable are they?

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Premium

Just to double check. My understanding is there isn't an illuminated tail light coach for each set is there? Personally think this would be OTT but wanted to ask.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, E100 said:

Just to double check. My understanding is there isn't an illuminated tail light coach for each set is there? Personally think this would be OTT but wanted to ask.

there is. All the tail lights function. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, E100 said:

Oh my goodness. This will look superb!

thanks! Every sleeper has interior and tail lights that function with a wave of the magnetic wand. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2021 at 22:34, Railfreight1998 said:

Remember the CS Mk5s are a bit shorter than the TPE coaches though

I am not sure that is correct. I think the coaches are the same length, with only the TPE driving coach being slightly longer. CAF themselves list them both as 22,200 mm with the driving coach at 22, 370 mm.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I seem to recall a suggestion of putting changeable destination blinds on MUs. I think the idea was similar to that on a model James Bond Aston Martin’s numberplates. It would be tricky getting it to look right because the screens are behind a sheet of glass or perspex.

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

And that's a rake that can be done with RTR too isn't it?! Or will be when the flat barriers and the coaches turn up.

If you’re brave enough to strip the branding off 5x MK5s! :O

I can’t recall any other diesel class hauling CS MK5s bar the usual 73/9 with 66 on the front. Recently they’ve had all manner of 66s on top, I’ve seen Royal Scotsman 66743/746, Large Logo 66789 and 66791, one of the imported ones in plain blue. Then Freightliner 66s with ex-HHA coal hoppers as translator/brake force were used to take them from Tyne to Polmadie upon arrival. Of course the other diesel that’s used a class 92 as a translator is DRS' class 57/3s when they need rescuing from the WCML…

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2021 at 11:23, Ian_B said:

Programmable destination panels? (I'll get my coat)

Ian_B

I recall that someone does a dot matrix sign for platform announcements, so I guess it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to do something for the coaches. It wouldn't be simple, but it should be possible.

Ian_B

• RMweb Gold

We have been and are researching nano oLeD technology but while testing and discussions are ongoing it’s not quite compact enough just yet for this application 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

We have been and are researching nano oLeD technology but while testing and discussions are ongoing it’s not quite compact enough just yet for this application 

Couldn’t quite fit the 75” TV in the model eh?

Try harder…..:lol:

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

How far off are the coaches in T Pennine being the ones in the Nova units or is that next on the announcement list the power cars for the ends...........

I if I understand you right you're asking how different a 397 is to a Mk5 rake?

I expect different enough that there wouldn't be very much common tooling whatsoever, but bear in mind AS probably have a working relationship with TPE and CAF. If a CAF MU was in the works I'd have thought the 195/196/197 and maybe the 331 would be popular. Wider range of use but I aren't sure how much commonality in the tooling there'd be, the 195 and 331 are very similar in appearance but whether the electrical equipment means different bodies and new bogies I have no idea. 196 and 197 would definitely be different to a 195 shell wise but probably identical otherwise?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2021 at 13:06, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

How far off are the coaches in T Pennine being the ones in the Nova units or is that next on the announcement list the power cars for the ends...........

They're quite different sadly (we did check!) 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/08/2021 at 19:05, TomScrut said:

196 and 197 would definitely be different to a 195 shell wise but probably identical otherwise?

As far as I'm aware, the 195/331 body design is identical, albeit with different underframe equipment, and a pantograph (obvs). The 197 is effectively a 195 with a gangway cab, and the 196 is a stretched version of the 197.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

As far as I'm aware, the 195/331 body design is identical, albeit with different underframe equipment, and a pantograph (obvs). The 197 is effectively a 195 with a gangway cab, and the 196 is a stretched version of the 197.

I didn't know the 196 and 197 were different lengths, explains why they are different classes then!

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I didn't know the 196 and 197 were different lengths, explains why they are different classes then!

It's only something I noticed whilst flicking through pictures of them. Extra window in between the doors. 197 driving vehicles are 24m, and at a guess the 196 ones are 26m.

I've also just noticed that the windows on the 197 are like the 195 - flush. The 196s however have window frames (presumably rubber?). Good old standardisation.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1