Mark 5, By Accurascale

14 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well are we!!!!!!!!pmsl.

If you kids can't keep your hands to yourselves, I'm going to turn this car around and there'll be no Accurascale models for anyone!

*smack*

That's it! Back to Dublin!

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Having suggested in this post above on 9th November 2021 that there could be justification for buying two Nova 3 sets, how about buying three sets??

On 17th November 2021 Rail Operations Group 37800 'Cassiopeia' leads Nova 3 sets 04, 03 and 01 across Huddersfield Viaduct with 5M42, Gascoigne Wood Sidings to Crewe South Yard.

1595716909_37800TP04TP03TP015M52Huddersfield17112021-RMweb.jpg.6578049429c669a3c8db878c9629ea2f.jpg

Edited by 4630
re-upload photo.
  • Like 16

16 hours ago, 4630 said:

How about buying three sets??

Why can I see Fran on the phone to ROG with an evil glint in his eye, telling them to put more and more sets together to ensure more people purchase them?

I assume that also would mean 37 800 confirmed for batch 2 ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/08/2021 at 09:30, McC said:

We have been and are researching nano oLeD technology but while testing and discussions are ongoing it’s not quite compact enough just yet for this application 

@McC Any update on your research into making the destination boards usable?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Graham108 said:

@McC Any update on your research into making the destination boards usable?

Hi Graham

we continue exploring the technology but the boards on the mk5 will not be electronic. 

I imagine LED/LCD displays that small & the electronics involved would raise the cost of the coaches to a unaffordable level to only the richest modellers for the moment. For example the train tech smart screen is about £50 just for a single unit, and each MK5 would need at the very least 2 bespoke displays, if not going whole hog that is, 1 for each side. 

I think it would be nice if working door interlock lights could be considered. These are present on Realtracks Class 156.

Back to displays, maybe in 5 or 10 years these could be something to regularly feature on high end models. 

• Agree 1

Hi Fran. I understand the MK 5 coaches are going to have provision for easy conversion to EM or P4 gauge. Could you please provide any more information about how this can be achieved. I have a Caledonian 92 and the Aberdeen set on order in the hope that I can convert them to EM gauge. If I’m confident this can be achieved, I would like to order one of the four coach sets to make up a ten coach sleeper as I think this would give a reasonable length train. 
Many thanks, Keith Simons. 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Keith Simons said:

Hi Fran. I understand the MK 5 coaches are going to have provision for easy conversion to EM or P4 gauge. Could you please provide any more information about how this can be achieved. I have a Caledonian 92 and the Aberdeen set on order in the hope that I can convert them to EM gauge. If I’m confident this can be achieved, I would like to order one of the four coach sets to make up a ten coach sleeper as I think this would give a reasonable length train. 
Many thanks, Keith Simons. 

Hi Keith,

Due to the design of the Mark 5 bogies simply swapping out the wheelsets for preferred gauge should make it a very simple conversion process. However, we will take one out tomorrow and check for sure for you.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran. Perhaps I could rephrase that last question. Are you likely to be offering fine scale wheel sets as alternatives for those of us modelling in EM or P4?
With the amount of effort you guys have put in to producing such accurate models, running them on realistic scale track would really do them justice. I can see from the pictures and a video that was posted that the axles just pop out quite easily. If replacements are available, then as you say, nothing could be easier as long as they aren’t too expensive or are offered as a swap. For P4 modellers this would be the only practical alternative as they use much finer wheel profiles. EM gauge on the other hand is a bit of a compromise as we can use the existing wheel sets on slightly longer axles. This means stripping the wheel sets apart with pullers and rebuilding them. Your wheels appear to have a generous boss on the back of them, which may mean we can simply pull the wheels out by a millimetre on each side without any danger of pulling them off the axle. 
Sorry this was a bit long winded, there must be other mad fools like me out there!
Kind regards, Keith. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Keith Simons said:

Hi Fran. Perhaps I could rephrase that last question. Are you likely to be offering fine scale wheel sets as alternatives for those of us modelling in EM or P4?
With the amount of effort you guys have put in to producing such accurate models, running them on realistic scale track would really do them justice. I can see from the pictures and a video that was posted that the axles just pop out quite easily. If replacements are available, then as you say, nothing could be easier as long as they aren’t too expensive or are offered as a swap. For P4 modellers this would be the only practical alternative as they use much finer wheel profiles. EM gauge on the other hand is a bit of a compromise as we can use the existing wheel sets on slightly longer axles. This means stripping the wheel sets apart with pullers and rebuilding them. Your wheels appear to have a generous boss on the back of them, which may mean we can simply pull the wheels out by a millimetre on each side without any danger of pulling them off the axle. 
Sorry this was a bit long winded, there must be other mad fools like me out there!
Kind regards, Keith. 

They have stated several times before they will be making available alternative wheel sets for fine scale modellers.:good:

oops, sorry….my bad…..I thought I was in the Accuscale Deltic thread :unsure:

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Keith Simons said:

Kind regards, Keith. 

Hi Keith,

At this time we do not have plans to offer finescale alternatives for the Mark 5s as we do not think sufficient demand is there. We can gauge interest closer to arrival date, but at the moment it's not something we are working on. It's been difficult to justify the business case for the locos, and our Deltic will be the market sampler for such packs. So, if they go well, then we can look at expansion into coaches then too. 

As for the Mark 5 themselves, squeezing between bogie frames and having sufficient clearance obviously isnt the issue.

510244733_ImagefromiOS(58).jpg.b2efb90334801993f4fa00f9336a2b7e.jpg

However, to ensure the smooth running of these coaches, they have these trick wheel bearings to cope with friction. This may require some thought or an enterprising cottage industry to come up with a solution. The wheels themselves sit atop of the axle, so of course if we make the axle longer it will be out of gauge for 00. It's a bit of a puzzler. Dropping in replacement wheelsets is easy as you can see, but with the bearings and axle issues here it may require some wheel pullers or full on replacements. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, GWR 802006 said:

@Accurascale Fran, @McCDo one of you know would you need to put a DCC decorder in the coaches for running in DCC?

the coaches are fitted with stayalives and pickups and magnetic relay switching to activate the lighting. We felt DCC function would have risen the price point unnecessarily but you can very easyilu install a simple function only decoder into the coach should you absolutely prefer the ability to toggle lighting using your controller instead of a wave of the wand. 
The Mark 5 TPE driving trailer actually has a 21 pin decoder socket and stay alive as well as an iPhone cube style speaker should you want total control over the DT lighting and indeed sound. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, McC said:

the coaches are fitted with stayalives and pickups and magnetic relay switching to activate the lighting. We felt DCC function would have risen the price point unnecessarily but you can very easyilu install a simple function only decoder into the coach should you absolutely prefer the ability to toggle lighting using your controller instead of a wave of the wand. 
The Mark 5 TPE driving trailer actually has a 21 pin decoder socket and stay alive as well as an iPhone cube style speaker should you want total control over the DT lighting and indeed sound. 

What sounds  would the DT be supplied with (and who is doing the chip)?

Ian_B

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian_B said:

What sounds  would the DT be supplied with (and who is doing the chip)?

Ian_B

Hi Ian,

We’re not supplying the chip ourselves but a third party could provide one with door noises, horn, brake/flange squeal and perhaps station announcements. I know one well known third party supplier has expressed interest in doing one and I’m sure they will announce if they decide to proceed in due course

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1