Class 92, By Accurascale

32 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Did the 92s ever make it to the North East during the 1990s / early 2000s? I need an excuse to run one of these!

92012 in York on a freight train in 2004:

https://flic.kr/p/rTe45o

Edit: Although looking a bit more closely I think it might be a light engine movement.

Edited by Csalem

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jukebox said:

My OCD is going off the scale: those wheel treads need a clean!

(otherwise, very nice work - a beautiful piece of model engineering)

We have no idea how wheels come out of the factory so dirty! 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Csalem said:

92012 in York on a freight train in 2004:

https://flic.kr/p/rTe45o

Edit: Although looking a bit more closely I think it might be a light engine movement.

Brilliant! Although sadly lacking the RfD logos. Maybe I shouldn't be too pleased, considering this also means catenary... :blink:

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pillar said:

Did the 92s ever make it to the North East during the 1990s / early 2000s? I need an excuse to run one of these!

Ok, the very south of "north east" but I am pretty sure 92s were fairly common visitors to Doncaster during the period you ask.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Ok, the very south of "north east" but I am pretty sure 92s were fairly common visitors to Doncaster during the period you ask.

Roy

From around 2004 onwards they started working the Mossend to Doncaster Belmont and return Enterprise trunk working. 009 made it upto Doncaster on a railtour from London sometime around 2000-2003. Apart from that I don't know of anything else.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, RP82 said:

From around 2004 onwards they started working the Mossend to Doncaster Belmont and return Enterprise trunk working. 009 made it upto Doncaster on a railtour from London sometime around 2000-2003. Apart from that I don't know of anything else.

There were Scunthorpe - Dolland's Moor workings at least as early as 2003.

In my head though, I thought that they worked as far as Doncaster International Railport from fairly early on? Not that that was overly successful at that time. Didn't it have two electrified reception lines, especially for the 92s with the plan they could work right through from the continent.

Roy

11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

There were Scunthorpe - Dolland's Moor workings at least as early as 2003.

In my head though, I thought that they worked as far as Doncaster International Railport from fairly early on? Not that that was overly successful at that time. Didn't it have two electrified reception lines, especially for the 92s with the plan they could work right through from the continent.

Roy

It started off been diesel hauled to Dollands Moor. The Dollands Moor to Belmont yard leg went over to 92 quite a while later, I'm thinking around 2010?

Oh just remembered there was for a short time Dollands Moor to Tyne yard cars that was Dyson hauled also In the 2004-08 ish timeframe

Edited by RP82
Added info

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, RP82 said:

It started off been diesel hauled to Dollands Moor. The Dollands Moor to Belmont yard leg went over to 92 quite a while later, I'm thinking around 2010?

Oh just remembered there was for a short time Dollands Moor to Tyne yard cars that was Dyson hauled also In the 2004-08 ish timeframe

Earlier than 2010 I think, I do remember seeing them regularly in 2008? 

Bored out of my skull, so thought as I have never seen the sleeper I might go and watch it later on. All part of the build up to my 92's and mk5's! Probably Tamworth way as I live in Loughborough, any recommendations?

Edited by ac1874

2 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Bored out of my skull, so thought as I have never seen the sleeper I might go and watch it later on. All part of the build up to my 92's and mk5's! Probably Tamworth way as I live in Loughborough, any recommendations?

Evening or morning? Currently there is only one northbound and one southbound run every night due to the pandemic. I’m not sure about this weekend but Monday the week before last the sleepers were diverted via the ECML, which may be closer?

Before this summer I’d not seen the MK5s on a sleeper run but twice this week and once the other week I went to see 1M16 southbound. I suppose it made sense as I’ve ordered a 92 and 8-coach rake! The only issue is the only loco I’ve yet to see is 92020 (which has been at Crewe IEMD recently), and guess which loco I’ve ordered from Accurascale...... :no:

Jack.

24 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Evening or morning? Currently there is only one northbound and one southbound run every night due to the pandemic. I’m not sure about this weekend but Monday the week before last the sleepers were diverted via the ECML, which may be closer?

Before this summer I’d not seen the MK5s on a sleeper run but twice this week and once the other week I went to see 1M16 southbound. I suppose it made sense as I’ve ordered a 92 and 8-coach rake! The only issue is the only loco I’ve yet to see is 92020 (which has been at Crewe IEMD recently), and guess which loco I’ve ordered from Accurascale...... :no:

Jack.

I was going to this evening, I gather there is one service heading north around 9:15pm, no idea how to find if it is going East or West!

7 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

I was going to this evening, I gather there is one service heading north around 9:15pm, no idea how to find if it is going East or West!

Err don’t think so...northbound 1S25 passes Tamworth at 23:53, southbound 1M16 passes at 06:19 currently. 1S25 leaves Euston at 21:17, which might be where the time has come from.

I've just found 92020 has gone back to Wembley so hopefully it’ll be back on the circuit shortly.

Jack.

6 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Err don’t think so...northbound 1S25 passes Tamworth at 23:53, southbound 1M16 passes at 06:19 currently. 1S25 leaves Euston at 21:17, which might be where the time has come from.

I've just found 92020 has gone back to Wembley so hopefully it’ll be back on the circuit shortly.

Jack.

Yeah, sorry I meant starts it's Northbound journey around 9:15pm! That arrives at Crewe at 23:50 so does it pass Tamworth at 22:50?

Thank you both for the help, got a good viewing along with 3 x 66, 2 x 86 and various Pendolino's in about half an hour.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Accurascale guys.

Edited by ac1874
  • Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 13:19, Mooresby said:

Even though i've never seen one running on the GWR mainline this won't stop me from getting one (or two).  Looks seriously impressive - well done so far guys!

I don't think that any Class 92s have runned on the GWR Mainline so far but there was going to be a GBRF railtour running later this year which has been posponed until next year of a Class 92 running on the GWR mainline from Cardiff to London. So there will be a good reason to have one although the railtour will probably use a GBRF or Caledonian Sleeper liveried one. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 26/06/2020 at 20:53, Jack374 said:

Jack.

92020 is on tonight apparently, I also have this on preorder.

2 hours ago, ac1874 said:

92020 is on tonight apparently, I also have this on preorder.

Yep it’s going north tonight, so hopefully it’ll come back south soon for a daylight shot.

Jack.

Edited by Jack374
Misunderstood post...

On 29/06/2020 at 20:45, sc2016 said:

I don't think that any Class 92s have runned on the GWR Mainline so far but there was going to be a GBRF railtour running later this year which has been posponed until next year of a Class 92 running on the GWR mainline from Cardiff to London. So there will be a good reason to have one although the railtour will probably use a GBRF or Caledonian Sleeper liveried one. 

Hi sc2016,

92031 (DB Schenker red) made a visit to Didcot yard back in 2011 on a 6X44 car train, albeit hauled DIT by 66019.  So if you need an excuse, it did touch the GWML metals!!!  I also vaguely recall seeing a photo of a grey 92 in Didcot yard at night time... though I could be mistaken.

FYI, 90035 in DB Schenker red also made a 'live' working, albeit just for pickup calibration tests in November or December last year and I gather for use on Severn Tunnel overhead testing.  It was sandwiched between a pair of 67s, a DVT and a 252 liveried Mk3 coach.

Also, 87002 (Caledonian Sleeper livery) made the first live, self-powered loco movements as part of the 'Out of the Ordinary' railtour in September 2018.

…and finally an MPV with a pantograph was seemingly the 'first' overhead pickup train to run during commissioning tests of the new GWML electrification from Swindon to Didcot... to the best of my knowledge!

All good excuses to have electric locos on a GWML layout! (Sorry Mr Brunel!!!)

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hi sc2016,

92031 (DB Schenker red) made a visit to Didcot yard back in 2011 on a 6X44 car train, albeit hauled DIT by 66019.  So if you need an excuse, it did touch the GWML metals!!!  I also vaguely recall seeing a photo of a grey 92 in Didcot yard at night time... though I could be mistaken.

FYI, 90035 in DB Schenker red also made a 'live' working, albeit just for pickup calibration tests in November or December last year and I gather for use on Severn Tunnel overhead testing.  It was sandwiched between a pair of 67s, a DVT and a 252 liveried Mk3 coach.

Also, 87002 (Caledonian Sleeper livery) made the first live, self-powered loco movements as part of the 'Out of the Ordinary' railtour in September 2018.

…and finally an MPV with a pantograph was seemingly the 'first' overhead pickup train to run during commissioning tests of the new GWML electrification from Swindon to Didcot... to the best of my knowledge!

All good excuses to have electric locos on a GWML layout! (Sorry Mr Brunel!!!)

Cheers,

Ixion.

i thought the Network Rail 86’s worked the Paddington end to Heathrow on test at one point, maybe a decade ago ?

I recall seeing a picture of them with pantograph, working right upto and depressing the buffers at Paddington.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i thought the Network Rail 86’s worked the Paddington end to Heathrow on test at one point, maybe a decade ago ?

I recall seeing a picture of them with pantograph, working right upto and depressing the buffers at Paddington.

Never knew about that one but could well have done so...

I'm sure there may be other occasions of electric workings too.

I think what is still missing is an electric loco on its own power West of Didcot, other than the 90 on the pantograph test train.

However, if the GBRf railtour was likely to have had a Class 92 as the 'first' powered loco on the Didcot-Swindon section (Covid aside...), that would justify one for me from Accurascale :)!

That said, I have to admit, I do rather like the 'Railfreight Distribution' livery on their 92022...

Decisions, decisions!

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2020 at 19:47, 97403_Ixion said:

Never knew about that one but could well have done so...

I'm sure there may be other occasions of electric workings too.

I think what is still missing is an electric loco on its own power West of Didcot, other than the 90 on the pantograph test train.

However, if the GBRf railtour was likely to have had a Class 92 as the 'first' powered loco on the Didcot-Swindon section (Covid aside...), that would justify one for me from Accurascale :)!

That said, I have to admit, I do rather like the 'Railfreight Distribution' livery on their 92022...

Decisions, decisions!

Cheers,

Ixion.

This is west of Didcot, but it wasnt much west of Didcot West...

really good night out that was.. passed it going west LE just before Reading, then saw it arrive in Didcot, before going west to the stock as the EDs headed east.

Then watched it head towards London, overtook it at Reading, jumped on the next HST that couldn't keep pace to it before Paddington, arrived right next to it..

whats more odd than an 87 at Paddington... is that theres a DRS 57 there at the same time...

That next night, I took a class 92 from Waterloo to Blackpool..

even got a picture of the 92 next to Blackpool tower..

strange days...

even the signage at Blackpool North were In a foreign language...

(That or the sign writer was smokin something new to  the rest of us).

later a pair of 73’s from Blackpool to Preston..

(the picture below took 2 minutes to expose.. and months to find out if it even exposed correctly... the one above I took in less than a second standing still).

Theres no way as a kid in the 1980’s I’d ever see this coming...

Rule 1 in the real world..

when Accurascale makes it, this is what number one of mine will be...

Cant wait for the next trip.. it promises a class 86 up Lickey.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...