Class 92, By Accurascale

Having watched the video of the new model, I do hope that Accurascale manage to address the pantograph head staying horizontal to the catenary at all times.  The way it currently tips to one side isn't great.  The Bachmann class 85 has a similar issue with the pan head incapable of being horizontal until it is quite high. 

The way in real life that the BWHS pantograph actually works is a great piece of British engineering.

Edited by Dixie Dean

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

Having watched the video of the new model, I do hope that Accurascale manage to address the pantograph head staying horizontal to the catenary at all times.  The way it currently tips to one side isn't great.  The Bachmann class 85 has a similar issue with the pan head incapable of being horizontal until it is quite high. 

The way in real life that the BWHS pantograph actually works is a great piece of British engineering.

As Fran said on the video, it's part of a suite of changes and improvements to tooling being made since that first sample :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I personally will be getting about three of these models in 2021. I know they are a pretty penny at £180 a smack but for what they are. I am sure the price will be justified and it means I can retire my ageing Hornby models in the process. 

Only £160 between now and mid March though, nice saving! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Well that sorts me out perfectly fine. I can use the £20 for a chip although I may get just one with sound as the avoid annoying the neighbours too much ;). One with sound should be fine but three of them. It might be overkill altogether running on the layout at the same time. I like the sounds on the fitted model though. I am sure the wait will be worthwhile. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Well that sorts me out perfectly fine. I can use the £20 for a chip although I may get just one with sound as the avoid annoying the neighbours too much ;). One with sound should be fine but three of them. It might be overkill altogether running on the layout at the same time. I like the sounds on the fitted model though. I am sure the wait will be worthwhile. 

Thing is, you're going to need a £30 decoder (give or take) to make use of the pantographs. £60 extra for sound is good value IMO

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Having experience with the Legomanbiffo sounds on the Hornby Class 60. I would have no problems in buying his sounds again. If I were to buy three with sound. I would hope that the volume isn't too loud out of the box because although I love DCC sound mate. I certainly do not wish for my passionate hobby to annoy others especially with these lockdowns in place :) .

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone. Sorry to go back over lighting features of what shaping up to be a cracking model of the class 92. I was watching a live stream last night from a YouTuber at a station and noticed that the Caledonian sleeper 92 only had it's night light and 2nd man side marker light on, not the top marker light. This sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole with other 92 videos and some 92s have the top marker light on and some don't. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Is this somthing that will be part of the lighting functions that will be on offer? Must admit it's not somthing that would stop me from getting a 92 as I always thought top markers would always be on like with 66s and other locos that have them fitted.

Regards Gary

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2020 at 16:16, gary_lner said:

Good afternoon everyone. Sorry to go back over lighting features of what shaping up to be a cracking model of the class 92. I was watching a live stream last night from a YouTuber at a station and noticed that the Caledonian sleeper 92 only had it's night light and 2nd man side marker light on, not the top marker light. This sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole with other 92 videos and some 92s have the top marker light on and some don't. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Is this somthing that will be part of the lighting functions that will be on offer? Must admit it's not somthing that would stop me from getting a 92 as I always thought top markers would always be on like with 66s and other locos that have them fitted.

Regards Gary

Plenty of lights on this one..

Express passenger headcode for this one...

and closest it can get to Light Engine (empties) for this one...

express freight for this one (well it was a railtour) :-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Regards Gary

So...I refrained from asking this when I enquired about the lights recently. When a 92 stops, the headlight(s) turn off, then turn on again just before departure - possibly when the driver takes power or releases brakes, I’m not sure. One marker light is left on, as shown in pictures. Same is true on a 60, and this applies to both older 'IOo' style light clusters and newer ' OO' style.

As far as I’m aware, pending confirmation from AS, this can’t be modelled as it would require a massive amount of function outputs on the decoder. For example, you’d need each marker, each headlight, top light, cab light, reds and pan at each end, so 16 functions at least - of course without any logic applied. Even the LokSound V5 has only 12 as far as I’m aware.

I thought about doing it myself once I receive the model, by adding an auxiliary function only decoder, however life is too short in my opinion. I’ll settle for markers and each headlight (day/night) being selectable, preferably with top light as well as this is selectable on the real things. I imagine 90%+ of users will be happy with this also, and having the headlights turn off will look a bit odd to those who don’t know about that feature. That said I might model it 'properly' for the hell of it!

A few examples from Flickr:

Driver's marker only and top light (independent switch) when stationary:

Louis Rides Again

Day headlight would be on once it moves off.

Both markers when stationary:

Double Act

I’d guess neither headlight would be on when it moves off and both markers would remain.

Secondman's marker when stationary:

92023 - Carlisle

Night headlight would be on when it moves off.

Finally one showing same as above, but on an older version of the light clusters:

On Borrowed Time...

All above is my own interpretation and I may well be wrong, but from watching videos and looking at photos this is my opinion of how the lights work.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One thing I've been pondering is the fact that my trains can go into hidden sidings which represent going off somewhere else on BR.  In both directions this effectively means entering a tunnel and being stabled in one of 3 sidings before coming back on to the layout later.  Can anyone think of a way I could automate the sound fading out after it enters the tunnel and fading in when coming back onto the layout?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

I think there is quite alot of driver choice about which combination they go with ...I think left has to be on but right and upper is driver choice 

Very interesting info, Rachel's back streaming as we speak so I'll see what the lights are like tonight. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

So...I refrained from asking this when I enquired about the lights recently. When a 92 stops, the headlight(s) turn off, then turn on again just before departure - possibly when the driver takes power or releases brakes, I’m not sure. One marker light is left on, as shown in pictures. Same is true on a 60, and this applies to both older 'IOo' style light clusters and newer ' OO' style.

As far as I’m aware, pending confirmation from AS, this can’t be modelled as it would require a massive amount of function outputs on the decoder. For example, you’d need each marker, each headlight, top light, cab light, reds and pan at each end, so 16 functions at least - of course without any logic applied. Even the LokSound V5 has only 12 as far as I’m aware.

I thought about doing it myself once I receive the model, by adding an auxiliary function only decoder, however life is too short in my opinion. I’ll settle for markers and each headlight (day/night) being selectable, preferably with top light as well as this is selectable on the real things. I imagine 90%+ of users will be happy with this also, and having the headlights turn off will look a bit odd to those who don’t know about that feature. That said I might model it 'properly' for the hell of it!

A few examples from Flickr:

Driver's marker only and top light (independent switch) when stationary:

Louis Rides Again

Day headlight would be on once it moves off.

Both markers when stationary:

Double Act

I’d guess neither headlight would be on when it moves off and both markers would remain.

Secondman's marker when stationary:

92023 - Carlisle

Night headlight would be on when it moves off.

Finally one showing same as above, but on an older version of the light clusters:

On Borrowed Time...

All above is my own interpretation and I may well be wrong, but from watching videos and looking at photos this is my opinion of how the lights work.

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks for that info Jack, I've noticed that aswell about one main headlight switching off when at a stand abd then comes on when the train move a off. Totally agree I'd be happy with top marker on all the time etc and just having the ability to swap between night and day would be great. 

Many thanks Gary

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Plenty of lights on this one..

172A26A3-4557-42C1-AC0B-194697C070E2.jpeg.d6392d531f53f86690172a123da2c875.jpeg

Express passenger headcode for this one...

57CFB54B-23EE-4091-A005-FFB1343DAF93.jpeg.c7831db01dd9068171752420f3717fbb.jpeg

and closest it can get to Light Engine (empties) for this one...

FCD64A14-67CE-4997-A84D-0DF8CCE068CD.jpeg.255844f471c809547b392a9077f9b192.jpeg

express freight for this one (well it was a railtour) :-)

22067F63-011F-49E7-A2E0-8418878F029D.jpeg.99e6d3574bc5eb0ad009bccb805ecb5b.jpeg

Very interesting thanks for the great photos. 

3 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

One thing I've been pondering is the fact that my trains can go into hidden sidings which represent going off somewhere else on BR.  In both directions this effectively means entering a tunnel and being stabled in one of 3 sidings before coming back on to the layout later.  Can anyone think of a way I could automate the sound fading out after it enters the tunnel and fading in when coming back onto the layout?

I have been pondering that same thing @Dixie Dean as my entrance to my layout is through a modelling equivalent of the Mucky hole at Crewe which represents a modern day tunnel under the edge of a town scene joining up with the nearby WCML. My mainline locos, all with sound, 60s, 66, 67, 90s and around the corner a 92 also, I was thinking of this aspect here too, I am going to look into town sounds as working background sounds, with an active loco depot as well as a busy road bridge.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

You can do this using RR&Co, so there _should_ be ways of doing this without using that- if you are using NCE, it may be possible using a mini-panel, _but don't put too much hope on it _.  If you can activate a function, usually F8 is to "mute" a sound equipped loco.  The problem is going to be ID'ing which loco you have where- that's why I know you can do so in RR&Co.  (I do so with a LRC, turning on the sound as it leaves the staging yard).  So, the likely answer is yes, but it will require a fairly extensive automation to do.

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, peach james said:

usually F8 is to "mute" a sound equipped loco. 

James

HI James,

Just to correct you slightly as most sound Locos in the UK use F1 to turn the sound on and off and the latest generation uses it to fade the sound on and off whilst the loco is moving.

The Americans and a few other countries us the F8 method that you have mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

You can connect a hall sensor to a loksound 5 and then a magnet can activate the sound fade function, this is easily arranged if locos stop in the same location in staging, to do this for a length of track in a tunnel would require a continuous magnetic field, a length of steel wire with magnets attached to it might work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1