Class 92, By Accurascale

15 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

hmmmm ... IMEO its more on par with the current pace setter in the market place, that of Bachmann's Class 90

"On par with"?  Exceeds by a nautical mile, surely?!!  I'm already wishing that AS had done the 90, as very sadly, Bachmann's model left me feeling a little underwhelmed.  This 92 however is clearly looking to be in a whole new league.  I'm really looking forward to these.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, YesTor said:

"On par with"?  Exceeds by a mile, surely?!!  I'm kind of wishing that AS had done the 90, as very sadly, Bachmann's model left me felling a little underwhelmed.  This 92 however is clearly looking to be in a whole new league.  Really looking forward to these.

Al

Opinions of course, and hey, I am going to have an Accurascales Class 92, for sure, still not sure which livery, one of the below, for sure: 

DB YIWU 92015

GBRf Europorte 92032

EWS Grey Beasties 92036

Cally Sleeper 92010

but hey, the Bachmann Class 90 is on the market and in people's homes - the Accurascales Class 92 is not ... and when it is ... yes its going to be impressing folk up and down the land ... is it better you say yes, i say ... certainly re the panto ... it looks pretty much the same - they were going to deliver something greater - they couldnt do so - and had to settle for Bachmann 90 standards for the panto rise and fall method - It's good that they had the decency to come back to the market place and say so, fair play ... it'll be interesting to see whether there is any noise to the servo panto rise and fall ... and also the overall end result - which I like many are keenly watching out for :-) 

Kat :-)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kat,

Thanks for your feedback. We all have opinions on what is best etc naturally, and of course we would be a tad biased in our opinion, but our goal is to produce the very best Class 92 we can to serve the market. 

Despite appearances, mechanically our pantograph is quite different to the Bachmann Class 90. We feel its the very best solution, but that will be up to people to decide when they have them on their layouts of course. You can see it in action here when I demonstrated a pre-production sample 

Yes, the Class 92 isnt here yet, but as we reported it has been a technological challenge and one we have enjoyed, with COVID19 causing supply chain havoc to delay things over the past 18 or so months not helping our cause, but such is life. I waited around 4 years for my Bachmann Class 90 pre-order and it's a good loco and we are very much looking forward to putting some Class 92s alongside them within that timeframe. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

These are looking absolutely fantastic and will be worth the wait. Literally the only areas are cab side glazing and roundels that I can see that could be a bit finer but you are already on with this. The bufferbeam looks fantastically busy even with the tension lock in place which is to be commended. The teal looks spot on to my eyes. As long as it matches the mark 5's and hopefully 73's, I'll be happy :) It's a model you should all be very proud of.

Shame about the dates but appreciate the openness. I was a little confused with the comment that they are into production in the coming weeks but taking 12 months to arrive. Assume there is likely a large shipping element and some contingency in this as well as the factory issues with longer build times and general manufacturing industry woes you mentioned. I also don't doubt this hurts you more than us consumers as it's clear you and the whole team live and breath the hobby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, E100 said:

Shame about the dates but appreciate the openness. I was a little confused with the comment that they are into production in the coming weeks but taking 12 months to arrive. Assume there is likely a large shipping element and some contingency in this as well as the factory issues with longer build times and general manufacturing industry woes you mentioned. I also don't doubt this hurts you more than us consumers as it's clear you and the whole team live and breath the hobby.

Thanks @E100,  you are spot on in your assessment. Production times are now longer than before due to various safe working protocols, shipping has been a mess recently as we know so we have built in some padding to help manage peoples expectations as we really are disappointed in missing previous deadlines. We sincerely aim to beat our estimate but we just have to be realistic too. After all, with what has happened in the world over the past two years who knows what curveball will bounce our way next! 

Appreciate the understanding. It really is across the whole manufacturing industry, not just us model railway manufacturers. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

*starts searching to see if these are ever relevant to my region*

@Accurascale Fran these do look absolutely awesome! When will we see some GBRF?

We have a correct shade GBRf loco in the second decorated sample batch. Just needs signing off and some photos taken and we will share it here. Likely in the next 10 days or so along with the other outstanding liveries!

Cheers,

Fran 

• Thanks 1

Hi Fran & co

I’d just like to echo some of the above comments, simply stunning. The images just prove there’s been no rush in the pursuit of perfection.

It’s been nearly 23 years since I drove these with RFD and they scream out 92s to me without a doubt. You’ve captured the looks and styling perfectly.

I’ve already got a couple on order with you and the extra time until delivery gives me more time to justify another! :) 

Looking forward to these more than ever now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have no need for a 92. Unlike other modern traction (e.g. 68) which can be justified on railtour work, or my Hornby 87001 which will be realistically sitting 'on display', there is no such excuse for a 92. Aside from the GBRF 92 at Railfest in 2012, has a 92 ever visited a heritage site?

Either way I can see myself getting one eventually, and appreciate the extended production time into 2022, and the time to December to pre-order at reduced prices...

I'm weakening for a Calendonian 92 with Tunnel Roundels... the only thing that is stopping me is that that particular one was originally an SNCF not BR owned loco.... (I'm scraping the barrel for reasons not to)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I have no need for a 92. Unlike other modern traction (e.g. 68) which can be justified on railtour work, or my Hornby 87001 which will be realistically sitting 'on display', there is no such excuse for a 92. Aside from the GBRF 92 at Railfest in 2012, has a 92 ever visited a heritage site?

Either way I can see myself getting one eventually, and appreciate the extended production time into 2022, and the time to December to pre-order at reduced prices...

I'm weakening for a Calendonian 92 with Tunnel Roundels... the only thing that is stopping me is that that particular one was originally an SNCF not BR owned loco.... (I'm scraping the barrel for reasons not to)

If it's any help my 92038 forgot to get detached so is off to Fort William :P 

Edited by E100
  • Funny 6

Hi Fran,

Appreciate the update with photos. Really glad I’ve ordered 92010 as well to go with the other 2 last week as it looks a nice colour in your photos. 

No worries with the delays either. Would far rather have a top quality model that these will be than rushed through.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Quote from an Email from  Accurascale

"The legacy of the pandemic is still being felt, with a backlog of projects which are being made by smaller workforces due to social distancing protocols and recruitment difficulties as freedom of movement was restricted for migrating assembly workers. As a result the 92 will begin production in the coming weeks and is now slated for delivery in Q3 2022. We apologise for this delay, but it is something completely out of anyone's control and reflective of the whole manufacturing industry as we begin to emerge from the pandemic restrictions. "

If the highlighted parts are correct then does production take between 9 & 12 months ? (assuming Q3 is July to September)

John

• RMweb Premium

@John ks if you see the quotes I raised the same query and got the pragmatic response from @Accurascale Fran

1 hour ago, John ks said:

Quote from an Email from  Accurascale

"The legacy of the pandemic is still being felt, with a backlog of projects which are being made by smaller workforces due to social distancing protocols and recruitment difficulties as freedom of movement was restricted for migrating assembly workers. As a result the 92 will begin production in the coming weeks and is now slated for delivery in Q3 2022. We apologise for this delay, but it is something completely out of anyone's control and reflective of the whole manufacturing industry as we begin to emerge from the pandemic restrictions. "

If the highlighted parts are correct then does production take between 9 & 12 months ? (assuming Q3 is July to September)

John

16 hours ago, E100 said:

15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Thanks @E100,  you are spot on in your assessment. Production times are now longer than before due to various safe working protocols, shipping has been a mess recently as we know so we have built in some padding to help manage peoples expectations as we really are disappointed in missing previous deadlines. We sincerely aim to beat our estimate but we just have to be realistic too. After all, with what has happened in the world over the past two years who knows what curveball will bounce our way next! 

Appreciate the understanding. It really is across the whole manufacturing industry, not just us model railway manufacturers. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Class 92 update is now here, with early bird price deadline, delivery date and lots more pics of the first decoration sample batch that have arrived for assessment. 

Acc-92010-02.jpg.70b7c415c2d9d9cd2fe9fad04e4a8e19.jpg

Acc-92042-06.jpg.8cc539d4c85893acbf042622c8a378be.jpg

Check it all out right here:  https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/class-92-update-first-batch-of-decorated-samples-arrive 

Cheers,

Fran 

They do look fantastic and will be well worth the wait. Out of curiosity is the 92 and the mk5 sleepers being produced at the same factory to ensure the colours match. Or is it quote a straightforward process to get diffetent factories to colour match with paint codes etc.

Regards Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gary_lner said:

They do look fantastic and will be well worth the wait. Out of curiosity is the 92 and the mk5 sleepers being produced at the same factory to ensure the colours match. Or is it quote a straightforward process to get diffetent factories to colour match with paint codes etc.

Regards Gary

Hi @gary_lner,

Paint codes are universal, so once the code is the same the model should be the same, no matter where it's made. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Fran and team, these models look stunning. From the photos the loco certainly has a presence and in the right scenery, would look very much like the real locos…excusing the rather sunburnt 92020 of course :D

Not wanting to steal your thunder, but all loco photos are now on the website, for those who haven’t seen: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/british-rail-class-92

I’ve got a couple of questions at this point, none are deal breakers and I shan’t be cancelling my pre orders!

Will the wheels be painted or plain? It’s a slight bugbear of mine when (particularly) loco wheels are unpainted…not hard to rectify, but equally not too difficult to implement at production, I’d imagine.

Have the above-buffer cutouts for the GBRf/CS Dellner fitted locos been tooled up? I notice (on 92020 as an example) that these are present on the artwork but I assume these latest models are just to prove the livery and not the actual tooling for each loco?

Is there any indication already available/can you clarify which GBRf/CS locos will feature the drop-head Dellner (and cutouts) and newer LED lights? Obviously 92020 will, but for 92038 (for example), it ran for a time - before the MK5s were anywhere close to delivery - with older 'IOo' light clusters and no Dellner/cutout modifications. Which version of 92038 will be produced? Along these lines, will the Dellner be a separate detail pack part which the user can fit instead of the standard screw link?

I realise some of the above is a bit pedantic, I’m just curious at this stage!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

Fran and team, these models look stunning. From the photos the loco certainly has a presence and in the right scenery, would look very much like the real locos…excusing the rather sunburnt 92020 of course :D

Not wanting to steal your thunder, but all loco photos are now on the website, for those who haven’t seen: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/british-rail-class-92

I’ve got a couple of questions at this point, none are deal breakers and I shan’t be cancelling my pre orders!

Will the wheels be painted or plain? It’s a slight bugbear of mine when (particularly) loco wheels are unpainted…not hard to rectify, but equally not too difficult to implement at production, I’d imagine.

Have the above-buffer cutouts for the GBRf/CS Dellner fitted locos been tooled up? I notice (on 92020 as an example) that these are present on the artwork but I assume these latest models are just to prove the livery and not the actual tooling for each loco?

Is there any indication already available/can you clarify which GBRf/CS locos will feature the drop-head Dellner (and cutouts) and newer LED lights? Obviously 92020 will, but for 92038 (for example), it ran for a time - before the MK5s were anywhere close to delivery - with older 'IOo' light clusters and no Dellner/cutout modifications. Which version of 92038 will be produced? Along these lines, will the Dellner be a separate detail pack part which the user can fit instead of the standard screw link?

I realise some of the above is a bit pedantic, I’m just curious at this stage!

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

The wheels will indeed be chemically blackened on the production models. 

We've tooled up the later style bufferbeam and "pilot" for the Dellner fitted examples that accurately reflects the changes that were made in this area. These are just painted samples to sign off on printing and colours so not 100% indicative of final models. The appropriate models will also have the newer style LED lighting too. The Dellner will be in the detail pack of those appropriate locomotives. 010 and 020 will have the revised buffer beams are these are the only two locomotives to run with these modifications as modelled. 038 did not run with polo mints on the sides with these mods in place IIRC. 

Hope this helps!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Never thought I would be one of those people who gets nostalgic for the 'as-delivered' look, but the RfD one does catch my eye the most. 

I may now be officially old. :)

Edited by Csalem
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

These are looking good,looking forward to DB 92042 and i will probably order more now as theres a bit more time to do a few more bank jobs......

92042 is in one of Keiths you tube recent content and i like red

If you like train videos look at a few of young Keiths days out,heres some 92,s on the sleeper,give him a like as its not my content.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The first batch is still a year away yet, bit early to be identifying specifically which ones are in a second batch, surely!? As for the roof, not sure how you can compare it to the Bachmann 90! For a start the 90 is (prototypically) rather spartan in comparison to the wealth of detail on a 92, which appears to have been very nicely captured.

I don't even model OO, but I'm so sorely tempted by (at least!) one of these.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Hi @Accurascale Fran,  will you be doing a second wave of releases of the 92, different numbers etc (ie DB/EWS 2019, GBRf 92043 etc etc) ?

I am in the final stages of my layout build and short of robbing Peter to pay Fran - i am probably going to be waiting a little while :-)

Kat :-)

Give them a chance to get the first releases done!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, njee20 said:

The first batch is still a year away yet, bit early to be identifying specifically which ones are in a second batch, surely!? As for the roof, not sure how you can compare it to the Bachmann 90! For a start the 90 is (prototypically) rather spartan in comparison to the wealth of detail on a 92, which appears to have been very nicely captured.

I don't even model OO, but I'm so sorely tempted by (at least!) one of these.

I wasnt ... i just asked the question, would they be ? and referred to examples of different running numbers ... but Q3 2022 is a bit away, of course ... hopefully, they will be ... and they're offering a good level of variety on launch. 

As for comparing it to the Bachmann 90, i did ... so what ... i'm an electric loco enthusiast with a bias to the 90, of course, but i like other electrics as well, the 92 being high on my list along with the 86 and 87. As for whether the Bachmann 90 is better or not, if the Accurascales 92 is better, then great, that will be good news for everyone who buys one, including me, when i get my EWS three beasties 92XXX and the DB YIWU one, 92015.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD