Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Hi @Accurascale Fran,  will you be doing a second wave of releases of the 92, different numbers etc (ie DB/EWS 2019, GBRf 92043 etc etc) ?

I am in the final stages of my layout build and short of robbing Peter to pay Fran - i am probably going to be waiting a little while :-)

Kat :-)

Hi @DBC90024,

We certainly will do re-runs in the future should demand warrant it, but of course all this is dependant on the first batch selling out so we can see what demand is like. So, let's see how that goes first. What is announced is what the first batch will be. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Fran @Accurascale Fran,

Thanks for the reply, yes, i love 90s but i love other electrics too, and with a bias to DB's ones:

i'll probably end up opting for a Three Beasties 92 to be fair, and get weathered like one of these two leviathons:

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to seeing your 92 arrive

Kind Regards

Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Soooo, in the early hours of this morning (Saturday 4th September), GBRf's recently back in service 92032, in the newer GBRf livery, as opposed to the Europorte livery was out taking part in GBRf's 2021 mega four day railtour seeing all sorts of traction being used, 66s, 73s, 86s, 91s, 92s ... seen here ... was the 92 (032) taking over from LSL's 86101 which had ran from Acton Sidings to Crewe via Birmingham New Street, Cannock and out onto Rugeley Trent Valley and up to Crewe, at Crewe, 86101 was relieved and 92032 picked up the baton, seen below:

to take the train north as far as Mossend ... 

There'll be more footage of this event including the 86 on my channel - which you can access through the below link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJHJwwBox-EvXPPExBDvlA

or on the ''Photos AC electrics'' pictures and videos forum on here as below

Soooooo ... ultimately, you dont need mk3 or mk5 sleeper carriage stock, car transporter STVAs or even intermodals to have a Class 92 on your layout, it could be a railtours working :-)

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD :-)

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Just out of interest, wasn't there a restriction originally that meant a Class 92 couldn't couple up directly to a BR Mk1 coach? Something to do with buffer vs corridor connection clearance? Was this restriction lifted then? 

I worked several railtours where there would be another loco between to get round this. 

Cheers, 

Shed. 

On 16/09/2021 at 02:12, Shedmaster said:

Hi, 

Just out of interest, wasn't there a restriction originally that meant a Class 92 couldn't couple up directly to a BR Mk1 coach? Something to do with buffer vs corridor connection clearance? Was this restriction lifted then? 

I worked several railtours where there would be another loco between to get round this. 

Cheers, 

Shed. 

That's not one I've heard of before (I think one may apply for the Class 70s though) but I did a rail tour from Kings Cross to Bridlington which utilised a DB92 coupled directly to the Riviera Mk1s around 2009/2010. 

Looking at Flickr, it seems 92s have worked rail tours with Mk1s since at least 2003. 

EWS Dyson At Baldwins Gate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, surfsup said:

That's not one I've heard of before (I think one may apply for the Class 70s though) but I did a rail tour from Kings Cross to Bridlington which utilised a DB92 coupled directly to the Riviera Mk1s around 2009/2010. 

Looking at Flickr, it seems 92s have worked rail tours with Mk1s since at least 2003. 

They also ran their initial test and trials trains coupled to Mk1 formations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What do you mean ‘more likely’? It was a test train to see if the changes to the ETH on the leading loco (92014) could sustain periods of high speed running. All in the link. Yes the second loco could well be there as a positioning move. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They also ran their initial test and trials trains coupled to Mk1 formations.

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies. I’m not sure where this came from but I suspect I was ‘told’ by a colleague back in the day when I worked with these machines. Thinking back, I could only have heard it the once, which doesn’t indicate it was common knowledge then...oh well...

Cheers,

Shed.

7 hours ago, Shedmaster said:

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies. I’m not sure where this came from but I suspect I was ‘told’ by a colleague back in the day when I worked with these machines. Thinking back, I could only have heard it the once, which doesn’t indicate it was common knowledge then...oh well...

Cheers,

Shed.

No I think you're right.  I too recall there being a restriction at some point on coupling 92s to one type of coaching stock.  There are plenty of pictures about of them working with Mk1s and Mk3s so it could have been Mk2s?  I can't remember now what it was but there was definitely something in the early days when people were trying to get them for rail tours.     

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DY444 said:

No I think you're right.  I too recall there being a restriction at some point on coupling 92s to one type of coaching stock.  There are plenty of pictures about of them working with Mk1s and Mk3s so it could have been Mk2s?  I can't remember now what it was but there was definitely something in the early days when people were trying to get them for rail tours.     

If anything it might have been something to do with ETH.  Coupling wise they are fully compatible - for obvious reasons - with UK passenger and freight stock as they were designed from the outset as multi-traffic locos.   I'm not sure if I still have any of my technical information on them although I possibly have something about their current draw for the hotel load of ENS stock on the 3rd rail (where there could have been some significant problems but not down to the 92s).  There were no coupling restrictions placed on them during the initial trials although that was loco testing rather than ETH testing.

So overall there might well have been an ETH incompatibility or - more likely - an untested combination.

18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If anything it might have been something to do with ETH.  Coupling wise they are fully compatible - for obvious reasons - with UK passenger and freight stock as they were designed from the outset as multi-traffic locos.   I'm not sure if I still have any of my technical information on them although I possibly have something about their current draw for the hotel load of ENS stock on the 3rd rail (where there could have been some significant problems but not down to the 92s).  There were no coupling restrictions placed on them during the initial trials although that was loco testing rather than ETH testing.

So overall there might well have been an ETH incompatibility or - more likely - an untested combination.

I don't think it was eth.  I'm 99% sure it was something to do with the types of vehicle permitted to be positioned immediately behind the locomotive.

Edited by DY444

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hey, did anyone notice the 92's being run on Pete Waterman's track?

OK ...

Seriously, what were people's opinions on their running characteristics?

Al.

I reckon it'd be tricky to tell before they're in real people's hands, but my base assumption is perfect running, amazing slow speed control and prototypical top speed - I've happily pre-ordered two 92s back from the launch date and have no concerns, I know they will be as good as, if not better than, the best smooth running locos out there from the likes of Bachmann or Hornby, based on how good Accurascale are with their other products and attention to detail, I don't think they'd be dispatched from the warehouse without this minimum standard!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a 92, but a taste of the standards 

The Class 92, as well as dual working pantographs, features the same dual speaker, powerbank capacitor, helical gearing, etc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, McC said:

Not a 92, but a taste of the standards 

The Class 92, as well as dual working pantographs, features the same dual speaker, powerbank capacitor, helical gearing, etc. 

Thank you. I have contented myself by going to the website for a leer. Mine’s Beethoven. Another leer at my Porterbrook Deltic for good measure. :D

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hornby Magazine do have a video of the great electric train show for subscribers at the moment going through favourite parts of the show etc and that does have some footage of both the 92s and the tpe mkvs running. Im sure the video will be on YouTube soon. The 92s weren't running on Saturday whilst I was there as a coupling needed to be located for it. But Mike did show us the 92 in his hands and the detail is very impressive and from the video it seems to perform well with a rake of ipa car carriers. But having said that I've just found a video of the EWS 92 running by itself on a video by tbroyd at the 01:41 min mark and you can just hear the sound aswell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Hornby Magazine do have a video of the great electric train show for subscribers at the moment going through favourite parts of the show etc and that does have some footage of both the 92s and the tpe mkvs running. Im sure the video will be on YouTube soon. The 92s weren't running on Saturday whilst I was there as a coupling needed to be located for it. But Mike did show us the 92 in his hands and the detail is very impressive and from the video it seems to perform well with a rake of ipa car carriers. But having said that I've just found a video of the EWS 92 running by itself on a video by tbroyd at the 01:41 min mark and you can just hear the sound aswell.

Got it! Excellent video and nice 92. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1