Mainline body to Crownline chassis.

Black5

Afternoon all,

I`m currently trying to fit a Mainline Rebuilt Scot body to a Crownline chassis. So far the chassis and driving wheels have been assembled with much carving of the inside of the wheel splashers to get the wheels to turn without interference.

The problem that I have now is that on starting to fit the cylinder assembly it`s  lifted the whole front end of the loco which certainly doesn`t look right. ( Somethig like 2mm too high ).

I`m therefore asking if anyone else has attempted this combination of chassis and body and if so, did they manage to get round the problem or am I simply being too fussy.

The tender seems to be pretty good, buffer height and footplate level. It`s the loco that`s got the problem. If I get the running plate level, the cab end is way out to the tender

I wondered if shaving some off the tops of the cylinder casting would work without altering things too much.

Any suggestions wuold be appreciated ( even if it`s " bin it and use the chassis for something else ")

Many thanks ,

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Its a little tricky to advise without a picture or two, I am not familiar with the Crownline/Mainline body combination.

I imagine that the Crownline chassis is close to prototype dimentions and that the cylinder castings are part of the chassis kit? The chassis is probably designed to fit a body having a brass running plate with a brass valance so that there is room for the cylinders to fit flush with the running plate. The Mainline body, has, I think, a solid running plate i.e. it is the thickness of the valance so the front of the body will be too high.

You may have to cut away space for the cylinders to fit.

I am though guessing a bit!

Picture please?

Kind regards,

Richard B

The Crownline chassis kits were made to replace the RTR chassis in the same way as the Comet Kits chassis do. They should be a direct fit.

I think I've still got a mint one somewhere for an Airfix Schools. This is the WC/BB version.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/crownline-locomotive-chassis-kit-sr-247852309

Jason

High Richard B and Jason. First an apology. The chassis is a Comet one, not a Crownline. I`d been looking at some Crownline bits and pieces I had and I think their name got stuck in my head. 

Since my last message I`ve had a bit of a fiddle around with it and cheated somewhat by shaving a bit off the tops of the cylinder casting. Not the ideal solution I know but it certainly looks better than it did at first. Hopefully that won`t create another problem.

I appreciate that the Comet chassis is a drop in but I thought trying to alter the footplate a bigger problem  so chose the other way.

I`ll put a picture on shortly but there`s a long way to go yet before completion.

Many thanks both for your help.

Jim.

• Like 1