RevolutioN/Accurascale MK.5/MK.5A coaching stock/DT

TomE

• RMweb Gold

I think this has leaked out a bit early, but fantastic news that RevolutioN are to produced Caladonian Sleeper and TPE Mk.5 coaching stock in N Gauge. 

It’s fantastic to see new stock appearing in model form, and shows some joined up thinking with Dapol’s excellent class 68 allowing a complete train to be modelled. 

Super stuff once again from RevolutioN! I’ll certainly be having a TPE set. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The news was leaked early by Model Rail, who like all magazines were sent an embargoed press release.

We had planned to have a joint launch with Accurascale at Glasgow, but since the news broke we've been delighted by the positive response.

There is more information about our plans on our website here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

While we always expected the Caledonian Sleeper models to be popular, we've been very pleasantly surprised by the number of messages enthusing about the TPE versions too.

The TPE trains run in 5-car sets with a Driving Trailer at the other end, in push-pull mode with a Class 68.  

The map on our website shows the planned routes between Middlesbrough, Scarborough, Manchester and Liverpool however these sets are on test on the WCML to Carlisle this week so may be venturing further afield in due course.

THis image shows a Mk5a set on test at Keckwick last month.   Photo courtesy Dave Harris.

IMG_8026.PNG.a50ddff2664aa3168ae97f752df0fd66.PNG

Caledonian Sleeper have four different types of vehicle.

Caledonian Sleeper Club Car (CC) is the new version of the current Mk2 lounge cars and has a bar and seats:

IMG_8027.PNG.14fc821377b80d296dc1893315b1bced.PNG

The Caledonian Sleeper Standard Sleeper has some traditional cabins with twin bunks, and some with en-suite toilet facilities which is more in keeping with current expectations:

IMG_8028.PNG.70e5fc8cef26eec2a3b32376e315afe5.PNG

There are also seated coaches (SC) with the windows positioned lower down the bodyside and Accessible Sleepers (ACC) which have wheelchair accommodation and some double bed cabins, again with en-suite facilities.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

So whos going to build a West Coast layout in N and run it without any pelmet lighting to simulate night time running:D

13 minutes ago, bigP said:

You are!  

:dirol_mini:

At least you'll have a proper reason to run a Pendolino without a 57 at the head.

Shap summit or Beattock in the dark would be nice.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Although way out of my current operating period, I am seriously tempted to buy the TPE rake. Think I better pre-order a Dapol 68 before they sell out.

Cheers

Simon

Yes much the same here and doubt I could even fabricate an excuse to run them on diversion via Banbury apart from 'rule 1' but its going to be very tempting to run with the Pendolinos on future layout. I wonder if I could fit Penrith in between the Santa Banbury fiddleyard.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Yes much the same here and doubt I could even fabricate an excuse to run them on diversion via Banbury apart from 'rule 1' but its going to be very tempting to run with the Pendolinos on future layout. I wonder if I could fit Penrith in between the Santa Banbury fiddleyard.

I know what you mean about temptation, I could go mad and run the full 16 coach sleeper with 92, ditch the mk3's HST's and replace with 390's, convert the sidings into the stone yard it is now etc etc. Maybe I could build a small layout to run it on... Hmmm

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

a couple of sets gave gone through Banbury when Bristol Parkway was being updated last year. unfortunately it was a ROG 47 hauled move not 68.

The Scotrail Sleeper has also gone through when the knitting came down on the WCML and it was stuck at crewe. They stuck a 67 on the front and dragged the whole lot to London  via the chilterns.

Edited by alibuchan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, alibuchan said:

a couple of sets gave gone through Banbury when Bristol Parkway was being updated last year. unfortunately it was a ROG 47 hauled move not 68.

The Scotrail Sleeper has also gone through when the knitting came down on the WCML and it was stuck at crewe. They stuck a 67 on the front and dragged the whole lot to London  via the chilterns.

I do have a photo of the sleeper passing through Leamington Spa ECS when that happened but good to know the new ones have passed through. 

Edit - photos added.

LeamingtonSpa2012_(93).JPG

LeamingtonSpa2012_(94).JPG

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

I suspect that the premature announcement by Model Rail magazine has required some resetting of the clock. The Caledonian Mk5s are due to be announced officially at Model Rail Scotland next weekend - a Scottish operator's stock being announced in Scotland. Hopefully that is all there is to it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having had a magazine unexpectedly make the announcement for them has probably put Revolution in an awkward position if they had planned a proper announcement at Model Rail Scotland. A bit disappointing for a magazine to do that.