RevolutioN/Accurascale MK.5/MK.5A coaching stock/DT

TomE

On 30/05/2019 at 23:27, TomE said:

My TPX 68 arrived a few days ago, and it’s a tricky one to call on the colour accuracy.

The most immediately obvious discrepancy is that Dapol haven’t used metallic blue on the nose, and the flat blue they have used is too light. Appreciating that Metallic paint is difficult to reproduce convincingly in small scales I can sort of understand why Dapol didn’t try, but it does make the colour on the model look quite wrong to my eye. 

I’m also not sure about the lighter blue flash up the cab sides, however on the prototype this does seem to vary quite wildly in colour from photo to photo depending on the lighting, sometimes appearing very blue and other times almost a silver shade, so again, not an easy colour to scale down. 

All things considered, ‘nearly but not quite’ is probably the best way to describe the colours used by Dapol. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how the coaching stock compares, because if RevolutioN are able to accurately recreate the metallic colours the loco could potentially look quite out of place. 

Tom. 

So based on that would it not make sense for RevolutioN to match Dapols colours?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, ryan1 said:

So based on that would it not make sense for RevolutioN to match Dapols colours?

My personal view would be no. Why should RevolutioN compromise their project because another manufacturer didn’t quite get it right. 

Tom. 

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, TomE said:

My personal view would be no. Why should RevolutioN compromise their project because another manufacturer didn’t quite get it right. 

Tom. 

Fair enough

Also what if Revolution compromised, and then Dapol made some colour changes.

I would think that the best plan for any manufacturer would be to strive to get the most accurate colours possible.

John P

• Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...

Have just found the TransPennine Express Mk5 variants in the Revolution website shop.  Two sets of five vehicles at £225.00 (same price as the OO versions from Accurascale).  Nothing new in the News or Projects sections as yet.

Details somewhat limited with nothing regarding lighting arrangements.

Will wait for further information before placing an order.

John D

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2019 at 17:21, Ben A said:

Hello all,

For all our models we are aware that there may be those who are unable to commit to as many as they might like up front; this is why we have developed a small network of selected retailers to satisfy the ongoing market.

cheers

Ben A.

I see from your recent newsletter that this is not going to happen for the Mk5s. Getting some sleepers is going to have to wait for the second batch.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bomag,

Yes, having looked at the figures we think that with the retailer margin they'd probably be seen as too costly.

However, these are complex models with a significant amount of work to be done in their development, and we will hold the order book open until the last possible minute to give people as much time as possible to budget.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

On the real thing I've never really noticed how much like an insects jaws/mandibles the front end looks!!

I'm glad my layout is in the workshop, cos I  might have nightmares if one of those were in the house at night.

I've got two on order, what do they eat, I wonder?

John P

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Well, inevitably perhaps, having been so certain the TPE livery did nothing for me - despite having added a Cl68 in that livery to the roster - I think I've spent far too much time on the RailCam York ROC webcam and the livery on the multiple units has grown on me.  End of this month will see my financial commitment to a set...

:offtopic: Good to see/hear Ben A doing his day job on national news yesterday in front of Kings Cross having his say...

Regards, Gerry.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben,

Do you know which set numbers are to be released for the two TPE Mk5a sets (i.e. with Driving Trailers)?

I have an interest in the GWML, so am hoping for one of the sets dragged via Swindon & Didcot on their arrival to the UK*.

Also, if you can say, are the sets likely to be identical to their OO gauge counterparts?

Thanks,

Ixion

* without loose plastic covers ;) 

It will be interesting to see how manufacturers handle the inside-bearing wheel sets. These have been a feature of North American 'HO' models for quite a while and were certainly problematic initially. The rather heavy double-deck commuter cars produced by Athearn certainly proved a problem for most contemporary locos and a set of four was the max for several of mine. Of course, pin-point axles aren't possible with inside bearings and plain axles produce too much drag. Rapido offered replacement miniature roller bearing wheel sets for their LRC cars as the first batch suffered the same problem. The new Tempo cars also have the roller-bearing version. I'm guessing they are a pretty difficult/expensive item in HO and I wonder if they are even possible in N? (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

There are several US and other N-scale models of inside-bearing rolling stock, such as the Kato Amfleet II cars.  I am confident Accurscale will come up with the optimum solution but, as with the couplers on the Rapido Pendolino, we will continue refining the design until we are happy.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Thanks 1

Getting inside bearing wheelsets to roll requires a combination of design, material choice, testing and manufacture to the required tolerances. Every HotWheels model car has inside bearing axles albeit usually with wheels free to revolve on the axle.

I can think of at least two continental N gauge manufacturers who have failed spectacularly with getting pinpoint axles to revolve freely - LSModels on their French stainless steel stock and Belgian Railtour/couchette stock, and Piko with their first generation SNCF Corail open stock. Piko made replacement bogies available, and LSModels just ignored the issue.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 29/09/2019 at 17:33, Ben A said:

One of the sets will probably be numbered as the first in service, the other we haven't decided.  I imagine the Revolution and Accurascale versions will be numbered the same, though I don't think it has been finalised.

Ben A.

Do you really mean the first in Passenger Service. TP09 had that honour on 24 August, followed by TP11 on 28 August and TP04 on 19 September. TP06 has been accepted but not yet entered service. TP01,02,03 and 05 are in secure storage at Longtown for the time being. 

• Like 1