Protype signals in 4mm

The components used were from the MSE range of parts.  Large lattice base post with equal tee brackets soldered on and a 3mm square brass tube soldered to the brackets for the hanging dolls topped with GNR ball finials.  Lost wax castings for the lamp brackets and brass tube to take the signal spindles then finished with adlake cast lamps super glued on. 

The servos are from Hobbyking  HK-5330 with a male molex to female JR servo short extension leads attached which allows it to be connected to the Megapoints control board.  This also makes disconnection and removal of the signal much easier.  You can then use extension leads of a length that suits your requirements or buy a coil of the same 3 core wire (yellow brown red) off ebay to extend the leads to the Megapoints panel.  60th Plasticard was used to make the the unit holding the servos and small self tappers to bolt the two bits together.  The gangers dug a 30mm square hole in the baseboardfor the signal to drop into.  Once fully tested it will be blended into the scenery.  Image shows the signal located and for the eagle eyed the middle arm did overlap the left signal on the prototype.

0705_Bow_Locks_Jn_home_signals.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Philip,

I used Tillig track throughout the pointwork looked so much better than other offerings but wiring up the slip was a little challenging.  I used the Tillig motors but wish I had gone the servo route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not yet Rich I am still trying to navigate this site as I am unsure where is the best place to post.  Having been a signalman my aim is to have the layout correctly signalled, however as with all models there will be compromise.  I have given up trying to make decent working ground signals so these will be static but in the correct location.  Where appropriate both end of a point will move using one lever. My brother has installed a relay detection system which indicates which signal is available for the route set via an LED indicator above the lever.  The levers are actually toggle switches.  So far I have built 4 signal gantries which have a total of 13 working signals and 4 individual posts bringing the total working arms to 17 .  This includes a slotted distant signal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lighting these signals was a step too far for me Rogerzilla although I had thought about it.  It would involve a small PCB with components to reduce the power of the warm white LED to a more sitable glow.  The spectacle lens are simply PVC glue filling the hole and once dry a thin wash of blue and red acrylic paint coloured them.

image 0008 Overall view of Bow Locks Junction station throat.   The signals are all working using megapoints boards and combined with relays and a light on the lever frame indicates which route is set for the signals.  A route proving system rather than full interlocking.  The levers are simple on-off toggle switches.  In this view left to right are up platform 6 starter (platform not constructed.)  Gantry up platform 4 to main, up platform 4 to branch, up platform 3 to branch.  Platform 3 starter to branch and parcel bay platform 1 starter to branch. Image 0002  This is the down main junction signals.  L-R down main to platform 3 below is the calling on signal.  The home and distant are for the down main to down main platform 5 the end of which is a starting signal.  Pulling off the down main home then the starter allows the distant to come off.  Replacing the down main home replaces the distant as well which will not clear again until the down main platform 5 starter is put back.  Image 00003 This gantry  is located on the branch and L-R to signal 13 which is the 3 arm hanging gantry,  branch to Platform 3 and Branch to platform 4. 

My aim is to have prototypical signals correctly positioned and working.  Once the signals

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

• Like 9

On 02/06/2019 at 17:52, KenB said:

Lighting these signals was a step too far for me Rogerzilla although I had thought about it.  It would involve a small PCB with components to reduce the power of the warm white LED to a more sitable glow.  The spectacle lens are simply PVC glue filling the hole and once dry a thin wash of blue and red acrylic paint coloured them.

The beauty of semaphores is that you only need a steady supply to the warm white LED.  No switches required, as the movement of the arm does it all for you!   The wires can be very thin as they'll be carrying a fraction of an amp.  Maybe an idea for the next batch?

I might try to build a signal lit by an LED.   The four bracket signals were my first attempt at constructing working signals and the eagle eyed will no doubt spot the mistakes.  The single post ones were the last.  Buying a digital solder station made construction so much easier along with some aggressive flux my brother gave me.

The control of Bow Locks Junction is via 2 Megapoints boards and 45 relays (2spare) and 30 toggle switches.  The three on the left are for the locomotive sheds.  It is not a locking system but a route proving one.  With the lever frame normal a red light indicates which signal levers are available.  It turns green when the lever is operated.   Set up a route and the red lights appear above the levers applicable to that route.  Once a signal is cleared the light for any other signal applicable to that route will go out.  The distant cannot be pulled off unless the home above it is off.

My aim is to be able to drive trains by obeying the signals.  I can then teach people the box.  Driving the train is a tad simpler.  Now to get the storage siding sorted.

DSC00015.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have checked all the levers are correct for the routes on the box diagram and found several conflicts which I have corrected.  Next stage is to fit the lever plates to the frame.  1289437666_BowlocksJnLeverplates.jpg.9c00cb194ba0a3c83b9af55a34c0d373.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...