wiring a charging circuit

sej

Hi, I wish to wire a ZIMO SACC16 "stay alive" charging circuit and SC68 supercapacitor (as recommended by Coastal DCC) in conjunction with a small Zimo sound decoder that is already set up and running. Can anybody describe, preferably with pictures or sketches, what goes where? I can make assumptions, but they might be expensive, and the instructions don't quite help me understand! It really is as simple a matter as which colour wire goes where!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

If you download the pdf file "small decoders" from the Zimo webpage (linked here) you will find wiring instructions for every decoder. If your decoder is small (for instance MX648) you will need to solder wires on to pads on the decoder. If you use something bigger (for instance MX 645) you will have the wires for the stay alive already on. Look at page 59 to 61

I use stay alive wherever possible, it is normally a question of space for the capacitors if you can do it or not. I use it also on simple decoders such as the MX600. There it requires soldering a wire into the chip (position also shown at the instruction file) 

A supercapacitor is normally not necessary, but it is of course a way to save space. 

Happy reading. 

Edited by Vecchio
hint for page added
  • Agree 1

Hi Vecchio; thanks very much for the link, I have looked at this previously and I'm afraid the problem is one of too much information, I just can't understand what is shown in the manual! I need the specific information in a very simplified form. I'll phone Coastal tomorrow and let you know the result.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Simon

I phoned Kevin at Coastal this morning and along with some very relevent diagrams via email, he patiently and thoroughly explained exactly which wires to solder where. It all seems so clear when an expert explains! So, very soon, I'll rev up the soldering iron and post the results on my thread in Scratchbuilding.

Cheers

Simon